Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Brand

Old February 20th, 2007, 01:15 PM
How long does it take to get a response on a license issue.

I reloaded my computer on Saturday and sent an E-Mail on Sunday. This is Tuesday night no response.

It is a bit frustrating as I have not moved the program to another machine I simply had to reinstall my OS and as a result programs such as Hero Builder.

I do like the program. It helps a lot with a lot of the issues programs like E-Tools did not. Currently I cannot access the characters that I need/want to have available for the game I run.

No offense but even Microsoft does not make it this hard to reload the program onto the same machine when the OS has to be re-installed. Though I hear Vista might be a bear.

Bill
Brand is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 20th, 2007, 02:02 PM
At 02:15 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:

Quote:

I reloaded my computer on Saturday and sent an E-Mail on Sunday. This is Tuesday night no response.

It is a bit frustrating as I have not moved the program to another machine I simply had to reinstall my OS and as a result programs such as Hero Builder.

I do like the program. It helps a lot with a lot of the issues programs like E-Tools did not. Currently I cannot access the characters that I need/want to have available for the game I run.

No offense but even Microsoft does not make it this hard to reload the program onto the same machine when the OS has to be re-installed. Though I hear Vista might be a bear.

Bill
One of the drawbacks of being a tiny company is that we don't have any army of people to handle tech support. Here in the States, this was a 3-day holiday weekend. We spent the 3-day weekend at a local convention and were gone until last night, so we're now trying to get caught up on everything. By the way, it sounds like you're in a very different timezone from us. Here in Silicon Valley, it's merely Tuesday afternoon still. :-)

The licensing mechanism relies on information established when the operating system is installed as part of its "identity" for your computer. If you re-install the operating system in the same way on the same computer (other products are NOT a factor), the identity will NOT change. Since the identity has changed, it means the new installation is different in some key ways from the previos installation. The net result is that the product thinks you've actually moved it to a new computer.

According to various studies, the typical user replaces or upgrades his computer everything 18-24 months. The license mechanism supports changes every 120 days (or 4 months), which is about 5-6 times as often as the typical user needs. So problems like this occur only in very non-standard situations.

If you sent the email to support@wolflair.com, then I don't have access to it here, but our main support person will get to it in the order the request appears in the support queue. The turn-around time depends on how many support queries were sent in over the weekend (3-day weekends can often result in a lot of them), how complex each query is to resolve, and where your inquiry is in the queue.

Hope this helps,
Rob
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Brand

Old February 20th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Owning my own computer business in the US I do not understand this concept of holidays and weekends off. I realize every copy of MS installed has a unique SID attached to it and a few other uniques for each install. I did go from a corporate special copy of XP Pro to my own personal copy of XP Pro but the rest is 100% the same. If it was reading the Serial Number of XP I can understand the discrepency. The SID will change every install even using the same Serial number for XP.

Thanks for the response and please let me know how to have time off.
Brand is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2007, 01:25 PM
At 02:15 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
Quote:

I followed up with our primary support person about this earlier today. She said that she had received no support inquiries from you over the weekend, based on the email address you are using here on the forums. So either you are using an alternate email address here and you've been taken care of, or something went amiss with the email you sent us. If the former, then please confirm that fact. If the latter, please try sending the email directly to me at helpdesk@wolflair.com this time.

Thanks, Rob
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2007, 01:43 PM
At 06:19 PM 2/20/2007, you wrote:
Quote:
Owning my own computer business in the US I do not understand this concept of holidays and weekends off. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
I've been trying to figure out that one for eight years now and still don't have a clue. :-( Note that I was working at the Con (seminar, meetings, etc.), so nary a day of the weekend was a "day off".

Quote:
I realize every copy of MS installed has a unique SID attached to it and a few other uniques for each install. I did go from a corporate special copy of XP Pro to my own personal copy of XP Pro but the rest is 100% the same. If it was reading the Serial Number of XP I can understand the discrepency. The SID will change every install even using the same Serial number for XP.
We don't use the SID for that very reason. We use different information that will remain the same IFF the user installs the O/S the same way, on the same computer, and uses the same Windows product key each time.

Quote:
Thanks for the response and please let me know how to have time off. [img]./modules/mdforum/images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]
If you figure it out before I do, please share as well. :-)

-Rob
rob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Brand

Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:11 PM
Appreciate all your help folks. I did get a E-mail though I checked and it shows sent.

Pretty sure I used my Excite account.
Brand is offline   #6 Reply With Quote