Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

spacemuffler

Old November 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM
It is listing all alternate animal companions such as the dire animals, dinosaurs, and the like as being only available for Druids. According to page 316 of the bestiary it says that all of these are indeed available for rangers to take as animal companions just like druids.

I quote "The Pathfinder RPG Core Rulebook presents druids and rangers with a wide selection of animal companion choices, but this selection by no means covers the entirety of animals available as companions.

This appears to be either an oversight or a formatting error. Is there any chance this can get fixed for the next patch?
spacemuffler is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 1st, 2010, 10:12 AM
The Ranger's Hunter's Bond ability lists the specific set of animal companions they are allowed.

The entry on pg 316 does not say that all of those options are available to Rangers and Druids - it only says to look at the individual monster entries to find the rules for using that race as a companion.

Looking at the individual monster listings, none of them specify that they are allowed to Rangers.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
spacemuffler

Old November 3rd, 2010, 01:24 PM
I... have a hard time with that interpretation. Especially seeing as how technically there are NO animal companions available for cavaliers available if you apply that same logic... which you appear to have done. Going to fill in the mount for the class it darkens out ever single one, even horses and ponies.

The obvious RAI on this is that the list from the bestiary is available to rangers as well, otherwise they would have simply omitted the part about the ranger. Also, if it didn't intend to mean that that list which was populated with companions were available to both, then why is this not stated anywhere?
spacemuffler is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 3rd, 2010, 02:11 PM
I'm afraid I can't duplicate the error you're seeing for a Cavalier - when I add a level of Cavalier to a blank character, and add a race to the mount, the legal options I see are Boar, Camel, Dog, Horse, Pony, and Wolf, as listed in the APG, pg 33. (the mount size vs. hero size and required level are checked after adding the companion)

By my reading, Rangers, Cavaliers, and Paladins have lists of approved companions, and the animal in question's companion entry needs to add itself to one of those lists for it to be allowable.

Also, Pathfinder Society play does not allow any Bestiary races as companion options for Rangers (Guide to Pathfinder Society Organized Play, pg 20, left-hand column), but they are allowed for Druids (pg 34).
Mathias is online now   #4 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old November 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemuffler View Post
The obvious RAI on this is that the list from the bestiary is available to rangers as well, otherwise they would have simply omitted the part about the ranger. Also, if it didn't intend to mean that that list which was populated with companions were available to both, then why is this not stated anywhere?
James Jacobs actually says that they are not for rangers. See THIS post over at paizo.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #5 Reply With Quote