Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

kastle

Old February 6th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I just could not find anything that told me explicitly whether or not this soft ware will contain a map editor where i can create and edit my own maps for campaigns..

thanks

~Kastle
kastle is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 6th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Here's what we posted about this topic in the Kickstarter comments section:

Realm Works does not include map creation at the current time. We're not trying to reinvent wheels that have already been built by other companies right now. The assumption is that you'll bring maps in from other tools, such as Dundjinni, Hexographer, Campaign Cartographer, Photoshop, or whatever else you prefer. Once you import a map, you can then place pins on it and leverage the incremental reveal mechanism.

If there is enough demand, we could potentially develop a map creation tool for Realm Works. We've definitely mapped out what that would look like, and how it would dovetail with many of Realm Works' existing features, but no development work has been done at this time.
rob is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mmurphy

Old February 11th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Will the maps have to be posted in a graphic's format (PNG, JPG) or will we be able to import the original map file (.FCW for Campaign Cartographer for example)?
Mmurphy is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 12th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Realm Works has no understanding of file formats like those from Campaign Cartographer, Photoshop, etc. Those files *can* be stored within Realm Works if you wish, but they will simply be passed to the operating system for handling by the appropriately configured external program. If you wish to utilize a map to place pins on it and/or leverage the incremental reveal mechanism, the file must be a standard graphics file of one of the major formats (PNG, GIF, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, and a couple others).
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Cutter

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:43 AM
Hi Rob,

I have a related question about the map viewer.

Suppose I have a standard .jpg map file and I am using the incremental view to restrict what players can see. In the player view of that map is there any ability to scroll and zoom maps while viewing?

I would really like to see that, as I use an LCD display(attached to my laptop as an second external monitor) laying down as a VTT at the moment, which allows me to display the map, zoom to the proper size and players can then place physical miniatures directly on the displayed map.

If Realmworks supports scroll and zoom within the map viewer I could then display my maps for use during play vis the Realmworks player view on my second screen and eliminate my VTT software altogether.
Cutter is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM
@Cutter: You should be able to use Realm Works quite readily for your purposes. You can pan and zoom the map. We currently don't super-impose a grid over the map, but that's something we have on our todo list. I'm just not sure whether that feature (the grid) will get in before V1.0 or be added sometime after initial release.
rob is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Cutter

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:35 AM
That sounds awesome. Thanks Rob. You just bought another kickstarter supporter.

An optional, resizable, grid would be absolutely perfect.

The only thing I would add to this would be the ability to "maximize" the map to fill the entire window when desired. I'm not sure how the player display will look, or if that is already possible.
Cutter is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 21st, 2013, 11:48 AM
You'll find a bit about Player View in the main KS video. I believe it starts a little past the 5-minute mark. You can definitely "maximize" the map image if you want.
rob is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Spence

Old February 21st, 2013, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
An optional, resizable, grid would be absolutely perfect.
The ability to have an optional, resizable, Square or Hex grid would be absolutely perfect.

Spence is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Thrantor

Old February 22nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spence View Post
The ability to have an optional, resizable, Square or Hex grid would be absolutely perfect.
Vertical and horizontal... Also, see maptools for the correct way to be able to resize the grid... you can do it live overlayed directly on the background map layer. SO easy to line everything up that way.

I know I'm getting ahead of ourselves as well... but two background layers if you guys go VTT is key. One for the very backgroundest map... and then another for objects/things in front of the background.
Thrantor is offline   #10 Reply With Quote