Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Valyar

Old October 17th, 2019, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrkres View Post
Sorry, newbie here, is there a way we can create our own site to push/store Realms that can be shared?
Nothing prevents you from doing so. The only gotcha is that you should not put copyrighted content there. Otherwise - there is no restriction to provide RW content. We already have from AAW products that are compatible to some extent with RW on DrivethruRPG.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old October 17th, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valyar View Post
We already have from AAW products that are compatible to some extent with RW on DrivethruRPG.
They should be fully compatible.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
ruhar

Old October 17th, 2019, 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
I think the biggest problem with 3PP content is Rob had a vision of how RW would be used.
I think you're right and Rob's idea also went against what was constantly said during the testing and after the release. How many times has someone posted some sort of question about the layout and what should go where? And the answers have always been examples of what someone did then followed with "but do what works for you." This thread proves that with someone saying how they use it and what doesn't work for them then someone else saying that feature does work for them and how they use it. RW is a tool that is flexible enough to work for everyone in whatever manner they want and need it to work.

I think Maidhc O Casain has the right idea:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
I've wondered often why the Content Market has been closed to third-party submissions. The stated reason is basically "quality control," but it seems to me like that could be handled with a simple statement to the effect that material not developed by LoneWolf is not guaranteed to have the same publication standards as material that is developed by LoneWolf. Nor the same formatting practices.
Post a statement like this and use the required proof that the original PDF has been purchased and allow us to share our works with each other. You could even charge a small maintenance fee for each realm initially "purchased" to offset the cost of maintaining the CM.

At least give it a try.
ruhar is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old October 21st, 2019, 01:58 PM
The general idea of a developer trying to force his view of how a product should be used on the users has time and time again been proven to be flawed...

I also support the notion of Maidhc O Casain!
Merion is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old October 21st, 2019, 10:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
The general idea of a developer trying to force his view of how a product should be used on the users has time and time again been proven to be flawed...

I also support the notion of Maidhc O Casain!
Let's hope the lesson was learned and if RW development ever opens again, it will be new dawn, no past mistakes repeated. A lot of business mistakes were done, but nothing can't be salvaged as the thing that is the unique selling point of the product still remain and there is no competition there.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Jujutsuka

Old October 23rd, 2019, 02:06 AM
Frankly, Drivethrurpg.com beat them to the punch. We can just publish there.
Jujutsuka is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old October 23rd, 2019, 09:22 AM
I would consider changing it from free, to a small fee. Depending on the amount of material, I'd be fine for a $1 to $5 sale price, just kick back half to the content creator. Reserve free things to single character or item creations.
Viking2054 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Exmortis

Old October 24th, 2019, 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujutsuka View Post
Frankly, Drivethrurpg.com beat them to the punch. We can just publish there.
Sad part is I approached Drivethrurpg years ago, with regards to publishing RW modules. Since I was neck deep in entering 1st and 2nd edition adventures.

Never received a response.

Exmortis aka "Scott"
RW - Needs Rez spell
HL - Game Master/Designer
RPG Tools - Campaign Cartographer 3+, D20 Pro Ultimate
Real Life - IT Security
Hobby - Anything on water or ATV
Exmortis is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 24th, 2019, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmortis View Post
Sad part is I approached Drivethrurpg years ago, with regards to publishing RW modules. Since I was neck deep in entering 1st and 2nd edition adventures.

Never received a response.
We told people recently they could publish to Drive Thru RPG.
BJ is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Murrdox

Old October 24th, 2019, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I use that a lot. I reveal the stuff the players know, because I've told them (I just click the button while I'm speaking, and then every time they speak to an NPC, visit a location etc. I show that topic and they see everything they know about it. It saves me a tremendous amount of time answering questions my players would know if they took notes or paid enough attention but players.

Of course I write my own content for my own world and almost always enter it into RW first. But I still frequently find myself breaking up long paragraphs into sentences that can be revealed separately.

This was always one of the reasons I had doubts about automatically converting PDF's to realms.
That's how I use player reveal as well. It was immensely helpful for me when playing Shadowrun to keep track of which clues and information the characters had learned over the course of the adventure.

In regard to what daplunk said:

Quote:
By fog of world im referring the the player revealing of snippets. It was a lot more work than initially thought I'd imagine. Having to have pdfs modified so that lines of text that are OK to be revealed to the player are separated out from the original paragraph structure.
I agree very much. If this standard is keeping adventures out of the Content Market, the standard needs to be ditched.

I've been working on an Infinity adventure on and off for awhile to put into Realm Works as an example of a "best practice" adventure. It's hard. There is a lot of copy/paste from the PDF. Sometimes though, there are paragraphs of the adventure that have player information and GM information sprinkled within the same paragraph. So then I have to decide if I split out the paragraph and make some sentences GM Instructions and some sentences Player Viewable. Sometimes when you do this you might have to rephrase a sentence or two so that the whole thing makes sense grammatically.

Given that there are a million different game systems out there and a million different PDF authors, some adventures are going to lend themselves more to this style than others. I don't think it makes sense to force a Realm Works GM to do extensive re-writing on a PDF just to make sure every instance of Player / GM snippets are 100% correct. It's important, sure. But it's MORE important to have adventures in the Content Market to begin with.
Murrdox is offline   #20 Reply With Quote