Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

mhwittek

Old November 3rd, 2014, 04:08 PM
Hello RW Engineers,
Even though my RW program has been installed my RAID 0 E: partition, I find the database file (*.realm) is located on my C: partition under My Document folder. My question is, can the DB file be moved to a different location? And if it can, how do you tell RW where it is?

Thanks,
Mike W.
mhwittek is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 3rd, 2014, 05:16 PM
No, or at least not separately from where Windows stores your user data. The active local database is stored in your user profile folders and the backups are stored in your Documents folder.

I thought there was a feature request thread for being able to move them but I didn't find one on a quick search. (I would like to be able to move them since I have a small SSD for booting but most applications and data are on other drives.)

Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old November 3rd, 2014, 05:18 PM
I think it will work by creating a symlink / Hardlink. But I will try it out myself first, before recommending this solution. Because it was quite a long time ago. But you can for example use this to move the "user" directory in Windows to some other partition for example.

Here is some tool that can be used:
But this page (with a small tool) helps you to get all information:
http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinks...extension.html

I'll report in the next few days how it works

Last edited by Acenoid; November 3rd, 2014 at 05:24 PM.
Acenoid is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old November 7th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Hi again!

So I tried the following and it seems to work for me, but I give no warranties for data loss or any problems resulting from this documentation on other systems. I have a win 7 64 bit system. According to Wikipedia you need Vista or later Windows versions:

Good Background Info: http://www.tested.com/tech/windows/3...un-and-profit/

Steps:
1) Go to the location of the RW database folder for example in "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works" and copy it's whole contents to the location you would like to store it in the future. For example "D:\RW Master\"
The target directory should contain now the master.realm, a few XML files and some long folder names.

2) Rename the "Realm Works" folder to "Realm Works Backup"* inside "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc"

* If one of the following steps fail, you hopefully can just rename the folder back to it's original name and everything should be as it was before.

3) Start a command shell: Start -> cmd.exe

4) In the prompt type:
mklink /J "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works\" "D:\RW Master\"

You should see now a message that a link was created properly.

In this case:
Verbindung erstellt für C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works\ <<===>> D:\RW Master\

Now both directories should be linked.

There are also many shell extension tools and other freeware available to handle this completely in the GUI.
Acenoid is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
FreeXenon

Old December 8th, 2015, 05:20 PM
yea, this is should really be the way it is.
We should be able to put our files where ever we want.
I really do not want it in my files there.
FreeXenon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote