Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

ruhar

Old February 21st, 2019, 06:30 PM
The group I was running at the time the player version came out did split the cost of the 5 pack and probably looked at it briefly after installing it, but I think that was about it. I didn't understand how the player version would work and thought it would be live interaction so I didn't have to broadcast onto a second screen. I was disappointed in it and my players weren't thrilled. But as a tool for me as the GM and keeping everything organized it's a gold mine. I love to search the internet for images to support the story and RW allows me to include the images.
ruhar is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 22nd, 2019, 09:28 AM
I had a chance to chat with the guy who is most into note taking and my campaigns lore in my player group about why even he doesn't use player edition. He did install it when I gave him the license but he found the whole thing disappointing. Part of that may be my fault and part of that is the lack of things like player journals to let him do anything but passively read the material.

First my end of things, Player edition only shows things that have been revealed. So while my main realm may be pushing several thousand topics and lots of those topics are quite extensive most of that material isn't revealed to the players and 3 years ago, IIRC, when I gave him the license even less was revealed so browsing the realm wasn't a very interesting experience.

The problem with it being an entirely passive experience, people are used to following links and reading stuff by now but as sparse as a partially revealed realm is it doesn't hold the attention very well. I think if the player had some way to record their adventures in the realm and link into the realm that might encourage more interest at least among some players. The note taker certainly thought that might make him take another look.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old February 22nd, 2019, 11:59 AM
Spot on kb. You need to actually design and write your realm in the perspective of the player to really get the use out of it. Modules are not written in a way that they are designed to be shared with the players.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; March 1st, 2019 at 12:03 PM.
daplunk is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
KiwiBlaze

Old March 1st, 2019, 12:02 PM
I don't know how or why my first post was written, it wasn't my intention to simply post my name in this thread... But in saying that I do have my few cents.

At what point does it help the GM to be the Memory of the player. The people you game with have memories of their own, if the player's aren't aiding their abilities to recall things, I don't see why the GM should have to take up the added struggle of reminding player's time and time again.

Everyone has access to pen and paper, a good way of keeping notes these days are using things like (artifical) "Digital Paper" where you write it in a book, scan the pages with your phone, and those images can instally be uploaded, sent to different email accounts, available in the cloud or other services and can be linked into Realm Works so it can't be lost. If your notes don't include important information and you forget, then why should those important pieces be picked up by the GM.

The GM has a responsibility to correct player misinformation, however they aren't required to give perfect memory recall on details, and players using abilities that let them recall information for a period of time in perfect memory aren't exempt from at least trying to record information.

To be clear, my issue isn't the GM recalling information when needed, its this idea that players aren't investing time and resources into the campaign as they need too. And part of that is making notes, learning the tools to take notes and how to read and reference them when needed. Realm Works could help that if it allowed Player input (which I haven't even looked into yet), but there are ways around that, and that are easily available.

Last edited by KiwiBlaze; March 1st, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
KiwiBlaze is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 1st, 2019, 01:56 PM
> this idea that players aren't investing time and resources into the campaign as they need too. And part of that is making notes, learning the tools to take notes and how to read and reference them when needed.

I'm 49, been gaming since I was 13, and I've had maybe a small handful of players that I would consider at that sort of level.

Sometimes you have to make do with what you have, and realize that if you want to play, you're going to have to do the lion's share of the work.
MaxSupernova is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old March 1st, 2019, 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBlaze View Post
The GM has a responsibility to correct player misinformation, however they aren't required to give perfect memory recall on details, and players using abilities that let them recall information for a period of time in perfect memory aren't exempt from at least trying to record information.

To be clear, my issue isn't the GM recalling information when needed, its this idea that players aren't investing time and resources into the campaign as they need too. And part of that is making notes, learning the tools to take notes and how to read and reference them when needed. Realm Works could help that if it allowed Player input (which I haven't even looked into yet), but there are ways around that, and that are easily available.
First, some of the best game moments in my long career as a GM have come by players misinterpreting information and me not correcting them. The trouble they've gotten into through their antics caused by misinterpretations and my quick wit to spring shit on them because of that misinterpretation is just priceless.

Second, my experience is that in a regular gaming group only 1 or 2 players take notes while the others rely on those that do take notes. That means 3 or 4 lazy bastards that can't be troubled to pay attention or take notes out of a group of 5 players. Add to the fact that most groups probably play once a week and real life causes memory loss of the less exciting things and voila, you have a perfect GM's storm.
Viking2054 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old March 3rd, 2019, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
First, some of the best game moments in my long career as a GM have come by players misinterpreting information and me not correcting them.
That happened to my characters in the game I ran just yesterday. It was hilarious. Well, for me. Less so for them, but they all survived, which is a score for them, I suppose.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 3rd, 2019, 07:31 AM
I don't correct my players when they start tossing around their faulty memories of some NPC or location. What I do is when that NPC is physically present in a scene or the party is at a location etc. I put that topic up in player view particularly when they've learned something new about it.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old March 7th, 2019, 11:39 AM
I play with a lot of smart people, as I am sure we all do, after all NERDS play RPGs, so since they never seem to prioritize Intelligence, I figure the players are smarter that the characters so if the players got it wrong, sure as shite that characters did
ErinRigh is offline   #19 Reply With Quote