Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Bobson

Old April 10th, 2016, 10:18 AM
Is there a way to create a custom snippet which consists of several different fields?

I know I can make a custom section within the topic's category and only add it when its relevant, but then the information is not under the appropriate section (since it's off by itself), and has to be revealed snippet-by-snippet.

I know I can create (or reuse) a category, but then there's no way to embed that in the topic for ease of reference. The best I can do is link to it, then follow it.

I know I can just use a Statblock or Rich Text section, but again, there's no quick way to reference it other than following the link.

Is there any way to do something like this? Or do I just need to choose one of the workarounds above?
Bobson is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old April 10th, 2016, 10:41 AM
It is not clear to me what you wish to accomplish.
The essence of a snippet is that it is the smallest entity of information that you wish to reveal in a single go.
You can add in a text snippet different paragraphs of text and highlight areas you wish. You can even add tables and such.

Can you add some examples as to what you wish to accomplish?
Cornelius is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old April 10th, 2016, 11:23 AM
I use tables. Then I copy/paste the table to new entries and update as needed.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Bobson

Old April 10th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Basically, I'm looking for a way to have a snippet consist of a chunk of structured information. Putting stylized text and/or tables in the snippet itself is probably my best bet - I'd forgotten I could do that. That will solve my immediate problem.

However, since that still doesn't provide any metadata about the snippet, I'll elaborate. As an example:

Noteworthy treasure has a description (text), a value (numeric), possibly tags (i.e. Magic, Heavy) and maybe a picture. These are all things I'd want to keep together, under the "Valuables" section, but have them be separate from any other valuables. Ideally, I'd be able to reveal the whole thing as a single snippet.

Going by my three options above:
  • I can create a whole "Valuable item" section which has those snippet types, but then I have to reveal each one individually, and add a whole section for each item.
  • I can create a new topic under the Things grouping in an Almanac or the Equipment grouping in the Mechanics Reference, but then I don't have that information in the topic that describes the room, and I need to reveal both the snippet saying "There's a treasure here" and then the linked-to treasure.
  • I can go into the Statblock or Rich Text editors and put everything in, but that still requires following the link to display any of it, and doesn't provide any of the snippet-based helpers (like "click here to add an image").

Putting the content directly into the snippet is a much better option than #3, but still doesn't have the helpers/formatting of the typed snippets.

Another example would be traps - they have a few specific properties that would make good typed sub-snippets, and are utterly irrelevant outside of the room they're in.
Bobson is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
davidp
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 10th, 2016, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobson View Post
I can create a whole "Valuable item" section which has those snippet types, but then I have to reveal each one individually, and add a whole section for each item.
On the section tools menu, there is an option to reveal or conceal all snippets in the section, so you don't have to reveal each one individually. Also, you can create a subsection to contain the pieces together as a group and still have other snippets in the parent section. You could look at adding this to the category you are using for the room and make the subsection not auto-add and then only for those rooms you want it, you can add it. Same a trap section/subsection.
davidp is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Bobson

Old April 10th, 2016, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp View Post
On the section tools menu, there is an option to reveal or conceal all snippets in the section, so you don't have to reveal each one individually. Also, you can create a subsection to contain the pieces together as a group and still have other snippets in the parent section. You could look at adding this to the category you are using for the room and make the subsection not auto-add and then only for those rooms you want it, you can add it. Same a trap section/subsection.
Ooooh. The combination of subsections and "reveal all" should work out great.

Thank you.
Bobson is offline   #6 Reply With Quote