Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Authoring Kit

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old August 24th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Ok need help with the coding bits and where to put it all. It would be great if someone could help me understand and get this all figured out.
First things first, the system I am putting into Hero Lab is called HARP Fantasy. From what I understand so far the first thing I need to input is the die mechanic, which is:
It is a 1d100 system with open ended rolls that open end on a roll of 96 or higher and continue to open end until you roll lower than a 96. Then you add the skill bonus to that total roll and subtract any difficulty mods and an opponents defensive bonus (if striking at someone or something), your total indicates failure or varying levels of success. In fact the only die you ever use is a 1d100.
1. What file would I put this under and how would I do it?

There are no dice involved in character creation (it is an option but I don't use it). The entire character creation system is a point based system. One has 550 points to derive their stats (8 total) from. Any stat from 1-90 costs exactly that point value (A 75 would cost 75 points). A 91 to 95 costs costs 2 per point above a 90, a 96 to 100 costs 3 per point above a 95, and a 101 to 105 costs 10 per point above a 100.

Those are the basics so far... can anyone help me learn how to code this into Hero Lab?

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old August 26th, 2014, 02:44 AM
One of two things here. Either no one understands enough of Hero Lab to be able to help or everyone assume I will figure it out on my own. I can figure it out on my own (sort of) but I need a little push in the right direction. I read through the Savage Worlds tutorial on the wiki and it really doesn't help much as it simply shows some code and explains a few things but not really how the code is working.
On that note I can try going in and just changing the numbers around to reflect the 1d100 system and deleting the rest of the die mechanics but I'm not sure that will work. In fact I'm pretty sure I will get some compiling errors.

I really need help on this because, honestly, the wiki confuses me at points especially when it gets into the coding section.

Can anyone help? Really, please help.

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old August 26th, 2014, 03:59 AM
Hey Mad, what you are asking for is very difficult. Creating a new game system from scratch like this take s a lot of time and effort, and I mean a lot. Have you contact any of the folks directly who have created game syystems? So far I think just Modern d20 has been done. But there are a few others in the works, like Alternity. Using some of their code as examples could get you a long ways into the development of your system.

Is just a thought.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old August 26th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I get that it's difficult. Which is why I'd at least like to be pointed in the right direction. There are plenty of other game systems included with the authoring kit. I would use those as examples but I'm not quite sure where to find what I am looking for in the variety of files. I expected there to be some kind of actual tutorial in the wiki for adding a new game system. But the wiki is more for altering already included systems, which doesn't really help. So right now I am starting to wonder if I wasted my money. I guess the only thing I can do at this point is experiment and hope something clicks into place. One problem I know I face (from previous limited coding experience) is that if I change the stats in one area what other areas do I also need to change for it to work properly. I also know I will not be able to code the entire game in one sitting so debugging will not be an option at first because I will probably get a lot of errors.

I am currently working on a PDF form HARP character sheet with most of the calculations in the sheet. But that is not capable of what Hero Lab is supposedly capable of.

Either way I was hoping one of the developers would chime in and give me a little help. But it seems they are absent from these forums as of late.

Bruce
Madmaxneo is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Noctifer

Old August 26th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Experimenting and letting things click in place, honestly, is a good way to go. I've been toying with it for a while and that's pretty much how I'm proceeding on some of my project.

Since you're using a points-based system, I'd do a quick search of the forums to see who's working on a similar points-based system, like GURPS (I know there's at least one of 'em out there). The discussions there can be very helpful.

I'd also recommend going through the tutorial. I know you're not looking to do Savage Worlds but, at least for me, just reading through that example really didn't do it for me... I had to actually follow it through a bit to get a grip with what was going on.

It may help to know what your own coding background is. If you're familiar with XML, you're already off to a great start. If you're more a PHP kinda guy, advice might be colored more in that direction.

As for the Devs... honestly, they've projects of their own they're working on they need to focus on. It's great when they can stick their heads into these forums to offer advice, but really, the advice you're looking for is likely to take some time. Time I suspect they don't have a ton of on their hands.

Poke at things, experiment, see what errors you get. Try to physically follow the tutorial to get the flow of how things work and, as your'e going through it, take down some notes on which parts are likely to help with the game system you're running. By the time you're done with the Savage Worlds tutorial, you should be pretty much ready to start modifying the skeleton files to code your own game.

I know you're eager to get started with your own game. I know trudging through the Savage Worlds tutorial is frustrating. I've hit the same walls. But work your way through it... think of it as a course on for coding for HeroLab. 'Cause it is a monster to take on.

And when you truly get stuck with a piece of coding, post the problem section into a new thread and any errors you're getting. That seems to get the most active responses. Tidbits of problems that are easy to digest and respond to are going to get more responses than a 'where do I start' question, y'know?
Noctifer is offline   #5 Reply With Quote