Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old June 27th, 2017, 06:30 AM
I'm running my first game of D&D5e on Saturday. This is after many years running second edition, so it's a complete change of direction for me and my players. Think of me!

One question - HL says that 1st level spells cost 2 spell points to cast, 2nd level cost 3 and 3rd level cost 5.

This seems perfectly reasonable as my 5th level characters (I thought I'd start them all at a level where they have some good stuff to play with) have 27 points each.

But where is this in the books? I know they will ask. At least, one of them will.

I have the DMG and the PHB, btw, not just the download from Wizards of the Coast.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 27th, 2017, 11:17 AM
DMG pages 288 and 289 in my books. Should be found under spell points in the DMG index (pages 317 to 320).

5th edition is not so different in mechanics and feel IMHO. I just hate that the orcs are all super Peter Jackson Uruk-hai in this version, which makes translating old modules rough.
dungeonguru is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old June 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
DMG pages 288 and 289 in my books. Should be found under spell points in the DMG index (pages 317 to 320).
You know I looked in the index and didn't see it. Guess my eyes need testing yet again. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dungeonguru View Post
5th edition is not so different in mechanics and feel IMHO. I just hate that the orcs are all super Peter Jackson Uruk-hai in this version, which makes translating old modules rough.
Yes, I noticed that. But all the monsters seem to have taken a big step up, same as the characters. One of my players couldn't believe he had a standard +6 on his roll, but he does. On the other hand a simple CR1/2 hobgoblin has +3, making it a much stronger monster than it would be under 2e.

I'm so looking forward to Saturday and seeing what we make of the new system (new to us, that is!)

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 28th, 2017, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexin View Post
You know I looked in the index and didn't see it. Guess my eyes need testing yet again.
The index is in ridiculously small print - I had to use the magnifying glass on my "helping hands" because my reading classes weren't nearby. *sigh*

Have fun storming the castle!
dungeonguru is offline   #4 Reply With Quote