Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old May 7th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Nazg View Post
I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars. This sort of feature is prominent -- and well-implemented -- in other world/campaign managers, such as World Anvil
I was one of those. I believe my very first posts to this forum were to complain about what I felt was a "bait and switch" until I realized that they did not actually advertise custom calendars on the Web site from which I bought it (I was not part of the kickstarter). I had seen some videos that showed it and it was perhaps the main reason I bought the software. I came close to asking for a refund during the trial period, but put in the time to learn the software and came to appreciate what it did offer, hoping that custom calendars were just around the corner.

I've basically ditched using custom calendars in my current campaigns. But it is heartening to see the argument resurface. Now that content market is finally how, there is renewed hope at continued development. Maybe custom calendars with come to be after all.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #31 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old May 7th, 2019, 09:55 PM
Quote:
I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars.
I was one of those, too.

I continue to use it, because it has many useful features, but without the calendars many of them remain somewhat shallow:

Quote:
I would say "feature rich" can still be lacking -- even lacking important features. Yes, there's no denying that RW has a lot of nifty management capabilities (like linking) but from a mechanical standpoint, custom calendars are an important feature of managing a campaign and campaign events, and not having it also hobbles other features. For example, timelines and even linking are less useful without custom calendars. From a role-playing standpoint, as some folks on this board have already pointed out, they really add to the immersion.
My point exactly.

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #32 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old May 7th, 2019, 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
I was not part of the kickstarter
From the Kickstarter's list of proposed features at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ampaign-tools:

Quote:
Create custom calendars for your world. Link multiple calendars together and see how all the dates translate to your master calendar. Calendars can reflect different in-game cultures, lunar calendars, and worlds.
(For reference for other readers.)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #33 Reply With Quote
Ash Nazg

Old May 8th, 2019, 07:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
From the Kickstarter's list of proposed features at https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ampaign-tools:
Thanks for providing the link to that, Farling. But, as I pointed out earlier, that's not just a list of proposed features. The page introduces the list as,
Here's a summary of the most important features: (emphasis mine)
Lone Wolf was pretty clear that Realm Works was essentially done and in beta; the Kickstarter was identified as being mainly for additional $$ to help with the cloud features and the Content Market (which were not included in that list of features).

Everything in that long features list is implemented, except for Custom Calendars. I hope now that the Content Market is finally released that LW will return their attention to the calendars. I'm just sayin'.

Last edited by Ash Nazg; May 8th, 2019 at 07:06 AM.
Ash Nazg is offline   #34 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old May 8th, 2019, 06:49 PM
Quote:
I'm sure at least some people purchased RW believing the tool supported custom calendars.
I was one if those as well.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #35 Reply With Quote
DracynNacht

Old February 5th, 2020, 07:59 PM
I'd really like to be able to choose which players get to see what.
DracynNacht is offline   #36 Reply With Quote
pyremius

Old March 26th, 2020, 05:29 AM
Given the planned development arc for Realm Works, I would like to strongly encourage release of at least a "beta" version of calendaring that supports creation of multiple calendars tied to a common time unit and the ability to link Topics to one (or more) calendars for the creation of a timeline that can be used to plot future events and ensure historical events are kept in the correct order.

Even if the interface is unfinished it would represent a form of completion for one of the outstanding KickStarter goals.

While there are other features I would like to have, within the context of Realm Work's current development status I believe this would greatest positive impact for developers - both game masters and authors.
pyremius is offline   #37 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old March 26th, 2020, 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyremius View Post
Given the planned development arc for Realm Works, I would like to strongly encourage...
There is no planned development arc for RW at present. Nothing is being done, nor will it for the foreseeable future. I'm quite sure there's another thread that says that even a 'beta' of calendar's can't be made available.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #38 Reply With Quote
Greebo

Old March 26th, 2020, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
There is no planned development arc for RW at present. Nothing is being done, nor will it for the foreseeable future. I'm quite sure there's another thread that says that even a 'beta' of calendar's can't be made available.
Extremely sad, but true.

The last discussion about it was two months ago:

https://forums.wolflair.com/showthre...=calendar+beta

Supporting Calendar Campaigner

Tools: Realm Works, Campaign Cartographer 3+ and Add-ons, MapTools
Games: home brew world, Lord of the Rings (CODA), Shadowrun, Earthdawn
Greebo is offline   #39 Reply With Quote