Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

mhwittek

Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:58 PM
Hello All,
I am really new with Realm Works. I watched all the video tutorials from LWD and Gamerati. I did not find where I should place my PC information even if I should should place them in Realm Works. Any suggestions?

Thanks for Your Time,
Mike W.
Herolab | Realm Works
mhwittek is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 8th, 2014, 01:17 PM
There's currently no specific place for you to do this. We have a direction planned for the future, but are still working on the specifics.

A good interim solution would be to create an Individual topic for each PC. There you can add details about them as needed, including attaching statblocks and portfolios.

Another possible solution would be to create single a Group topic for the whole party, and attach multiple statblocks/portfolios to it, or even a single portfolio with all the PCs in it.

Of course, since this is still in the "planning phase", you're free to suggest anything you'd like to see happen with this in the feature request forums.
Joe is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Cornelius

Old September 10th, 2014, 05:28 AM
I have added the PC the same as the NPCs. You could give them a specific tag if you want to distinguish them from the others.
Cornelius is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old September 10th, 2014, 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
I have added the PC the same as the NPCs. You could give them a specific tag if you want to distinguish them from the others.
Me too. I have a custom template for NPCs and one for PCs. Different icons, different snippets by default. It works well.
MaxSupernova is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 10th, 2014, 09:01 AM
For now: I create each PC as an Individual. I created a Cast called Player Characters. I place each PC in Player Characters as their container.

With the Player Edition: I'll definitely want my players to be able to edit all the snippets for their characters, to make choices of which of their snippets are revealed to the other players and to be able to edit their HL portfolio(s). I'm trusting LW to do some magic to make this possible -- multiple editors for Categories is not currently possible. I'd reckon there would have to be a new snippet type that is owner-only-specific and the rest of the data in RW is GM-specific to allow synching so the data does not get overwritten by one or the other. I'd like a GM accept/deny option for player updates but that's not essential as long as GM has control of the database and can remove player content if necessary. I'd really like a third option to change owner so GM can accept player changes by converting a snippet from player to GM.

If however the Player Edition does not allow players (and GMs) to edit the character snippets, I'll continue as I have been and work with my players on what they want presented and to maintain HL portfolio updates. Not ideal but it's very doable.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 10th, 2014, 11:16 AM
@AEIOU

Players will not be able to modify any data in the realm in the initial commercial release of Player Edition. This means they will be unable to enter data into any player character topics, or update any hero lab portfolio's without the GM's assistance.

However, we do fully intend on making features like this available in the future, and have some plans mapped out towards making that possible.
Joe is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old September 10th, 2014, 12:55 PM
I really appreciate that LW is phasing RW in over time as pieces are built so we can move our campaigns forward sooner than later.

I posted my dream functionality to which you responded we'll see something sort of like it in the future. That is a lot more reassuring than a flat out "no" or "that's crazy talk". I've gamed for 30 years without it, I can live without it for a few more. Keep doing it right!
AEIOU is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old September 10th, 2014, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
......something sort of like it in the future. That is a lot more reassuring than a flat out "no" or "that's crazy talk". I've gamed for 30 years without it, I can live without it for a few more. Keep doing it right!
X+10
I have often utilized the phrase
"It takes less time to do it right than to do it over" MANY TIMES.....
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #8 Reply With Quote