Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

javadragon

Old June 13th, 2021, 06:11 PM
I have noticed that we have not had an update to Hero Lab for Mac for over a year. In that time a few major OS upgrades have happened. With no updates for Hero Lab, the application itself has started to become slow and sometimes unresponsive. The application needs to be updated/compiled against new OS code . The app even states this message that the app needs to be updated when opening it and stops you from opening it. You have to use a different menu to open the app to bypass the OS check. Is there any chance this can happen in the near future? If not I will be forced to stop using this app because of the slowness and unresponsiveness.
javadragon is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 14th, 2021, 09:15 AM
I have not seen this issue (yet); I'm running Catalina, fully updated.

The slowness is because there is a bug in terms of how dependent fields get updated and LW couldn't find a fix, so they set the engine to entirely regenerate all fields whenever a single field changed. This makes it extremely slow when you have anything but a simple first or second level character! (At least, with the PF1e data set.)

Don't hold your breath waiting for an update. Contrary to assurances, HLC is basically dead. (Yeah, I'm being pessimistic. So prove me wrong.)
Azhrei is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old June 17th, 2021, 08:09 AM
This is correct. HL is not compatible with Big Sur so any Apple system purchased after 11/2020 can not run the application and any one upgrading past Catalina will lose their 32 bit apps, including HL.

I have been told that a 64bit version is NOT on to do list at this time so do not expect a fix any time soon.

A point to LWD, any 64bit app made for the M1 processor will run on every iOS device and almost every Mac notebook or desktop sold since 11/2020 so the days of MacOS and iOS development are gone.
Tekwych is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 18th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekwych View Post
I have been told that a 64bit version is NOT on to do list at this time so do not expect a fix any time soon.
This is not true. I'm running a 64-bit HeroLab on my MacBook Pro with a fully updated Big Sur (macOS 11.4) right now.

Quote:
A point to LWD, any 64bit app made for the M1 processor will run on every iOS device and almost every Mac notebook or desktop sold since 11/2020 so the days of MacOS and iOS development are gone.
For most things, only a recompile would be required. But my understanding is that HLC uses a bunch of third-party libraries that may not be available for the M1 yet, if ever.

And Mac vs. iOS development are going to remain different for the foreseeable future. While Catalyst can provide some crossover from iOS to macOS, they are still very different beasts.

As someone who's played a bit with developing iOS apps, I can tell you that while Apple may want these systems to be more compatible over time, they're not in any hurry. (The same applies to tvOS. watchOS is obviously going to be quite different for some time to come.)
Azhrei is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Tekwych

Old June 19th, 2021, 02:17 PM
Hero lab or hero lab online?
Tekwych is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
javadragon

Old June 19th, 2021, 06:49 PM
I am also running Hero Lab (desktop version) on Big Sur on a non-M1 MacBook Pro. It just runs with some major lag every so often. That is why I was also saying a simple recompile might do the trick.

Last edited by javadragon; June 19th, 2021 at 06:51 PM.
javadragon is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old June 20th, 2021, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadragon View Post
I am also running Hero Lab (desktop version) on Big Sur on a non-M1 MacBook Pro. It just runs with some major lag every so often. That is why I was also saying a simple recompile might do the trick.
My first post already explained the slowness. Recompiling won’t help; LW needs to find and fix the bug, but with no resources working on HLC, I’d say the chance of that is less than zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekwych
Hero lab or hero lab online?
Hm, I thought I specified HLC, but I only did that in the second part of my post, not the first.

But yes, I’m running Hero Lab Classic on an Intel MBP from late 2019. The 64-but version of HLC has been available for almost two years, maybe a little more.
Azhrei is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
randomtone

Old June 23rd, 2021, 06:15 AM
I clean installed Big Sur yesterday and it won't let me install HLC at all.
“Hero Lab” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."
randomtone is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
sonu jain

Old June 30th, 2021, 12:31 AM
we have less idea compare to some of users here. but we just asking can we try windows 11 ?? now not launch but after some months it happen so can we??

dont mind just asking
sonu jain is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Azhrei

Old August 28th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtone View Post
I clean installed Big Sur yesterday and it won't let me install HLC at all.
“Hero Lab” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."
Sorry for the (somewhat) thread necro. I was looking for other stuff and saw this question, so...

It sounds like you have run afoul of Apple's attempt to protect you via a tool known as GateKeeper. It doesn't allow software lacking a digital signature to be installed. By default, at least.

Apple's support site includes instructions for bypassing GateKeeper when you know and trust the source of the software. You can find that information here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202491

Good luck, and happy gaming!
Azhrei is offline   #10 Reply With Quote