Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works in Action

Notices

rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 31st, 2016, 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBlockHead View Post
Or, at the next Gen Con have a panel with some LWD staff, some content owners, and some power users/independent contractors talk about how they build their realms and prepare the content for the content market.
That's 10 months from now. Probably 11 months by the time someone can get the recording cleaned up and posted after we get back from the show. Everyone would greatly benefit by having something much sooner than that.

I'm pretty sure we'd do the GenCon seminar anyways, even if we have a bunch of resources on our website, but I don't think anyone wants to wait a year to see that recording.
rob is offline   #51 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 31st, 2016, 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
I think it would be preferable to add another top level forum for tutorials and request for tutorials. Then you could put in some 'official' tutorials and some user made tutorials. Add in a few themed question threads or requests threads that could be turned into tutorials either from users or from LWD staffers.

Anyway, giving us a separate forum or two for 'Tutorials' and 'How To' requests would at least streamline the forums and searching the forums. Those threads deemed most helpful by the users and LWD could then earn sticky status in the Tutorials forum.
That sounds like a pretty reasonable suggestion, regardless of what else we do. I'll talk to BJ about it.
rob is offline   #52 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 31st, 2016, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
Schedule a Skype Group call? Schedule it in and I'll certainly set my alarm for the middle of the night to attend. Would be better on a weekend given we would all need to come from different time-zones. Less chance of conflicting with work schedules that way.
It looks like the maximum size of a Skype group call is 25 people. That ought to be enough. I guess we can look to set something up and then ask people to "book a virtual seat". If we end up with more than 25 people, then we create a waiting list and add those folks a few minutes into the group call if anyone doesn't show up at the start. That should probably work. I'll talk to BJ about it.
rob is offline   #53 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old October 31st, 2016, 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
It looks like the maximum size of a Skype group call is 25 people. That ought to be enough. I guess we can look to set something up and then ask people to "book a virtual seat". If we end up with more than 25 people, then we create a waiting list and add those folks a few minutes into the group call if anyone doesn't show up at the start. That should probably work. I'll talk to BJ about it.
Google "Hangouts On Air"/"YouTube Live" may be a better choice than Skype: you can have more than 25 people participate, as well as a live chat stream for questions/discussions. Additionally, the resulting video can be edited & made available easily on YouTube.

(Full Disclosure: I'm an engineer at Google. The above represents my personal opinion; I do not claim to represent my employer.)

Last edited by ibecker; October 31st, 2016 at 04:18 AM.
ibecker is offline   #54 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 31st, 2016, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibecker View Post
Google "Hangouts On Air"/"YouTube Live" may be a better choice than Skype: you can have more than 25 people participate, as well as a live chat stream for questions/discussions. Additionally, the resulting video can be edited & made available easily on YouTube.

(Full Disclosure: I'm an engineer at Google. The above represents my personal opinion; I do not claim to represent my employer.)
Nothing personal, but I'm not very keen on Google Hangouts. To be honest, I'm also not a big fan of Skype, but I prefer it over my last experience with Google Hangouts. That being said, this may be a special case requiring an exception.

I use Skype for work regularly with a live chat stream while sharing computer screens. Is there something I'm not aware of regarding Skype that won't work the same with a larger size group?

I've never tried recording a Skype session, so that may be a significant point of concern. Is anyone here highly knowledgeable about Skype that can comment on this subject? Will recording the Skype session be a problem?
rob is offline   #55 Reply With Quote
ibecker

Old October 31st, 2016, 04:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
Nothing personal, but I'm not very keen on Google Hangouts. To be honest, I'm also not a big fan of Skype, but I prefer it over my last experience with Google Hangouts. That being said, this may be a special case requiring an exception.
No problem, Rob - we can still be friends. I actually haven't used Skype in ages - I was just offering an alternative in response to the limitations mentioned here.
ibecker is offline   #56 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old October 31st, 2016, 06:58 AM
Twitch seems to be the place to go to these days for streaming these kinds of things. No experience presenting on Twitch, just as a consumer.

As for presenting, I've always liked Adobe Connect. I use Google Hangouts daily for internal communications at work, but would never trust it for any external facing (customers/public) presentations. We use Join.me for sales presentations, training, and troubleshooting. Works great, but never used it for large numbers of attendees.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #57 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old November 1st, 2016, 03:00 AM
New video up tonight guys. Played around with sound and music. This is more of a discussion piece though as I still can't find a way to manage the sound as efficiently as I would like.

Would love to hear suggestions and ideas if anyone is doing something that works!

Realm Works - Playing Sound and the Table NOTE: Volume might be an issue, sorry some of the sounds are loud!

Also put one up about Campaign Cartographer 3+ if that's of interest to anyone. I'm currently using it to create maps that I'm loading into Realm Works so it's kinda relative to this crowd.

Campaign Cartographer 3+ - Software to create RPG Maps

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials

Last edited by daplunk; November 1st, 2016 at 04:23 PM.
daplunk is offline   #58 Reply With Quote
Asandir

Old November 1st, 2016, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daplunk View Post
New video tonight up guys. Played around with sound and music. This is more of a discussion piece though as I still can't find a way to manage the sound as efficiently as I would like.

Would love to hear suggestions and ideas if anyone is doing something that works!

Realm Works - Playing Sound and the Table NOTE: Volume might be an issue, sorry some of the sounds are loud!

Also put one up about Campaign Cartographer 3+ if that's of interest to anyone. I'm currently using it to create maps that I'm loading into Realm Works so it's kinda relative to this crowd.

Campaign Cartographer 3+ - Software to create RPG Maps
MadCartographer and I were talking about CC3+ the other night on the IRC. Going to go checkout your video now.

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.
Asandir is offline   #59 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 2nd, 2016, 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking2054 View Post
I think it would be preferable to add another top level forum for tutorials and request for tutorials. Then you could put in some 'official' tutorials and some user made tutorials. Add in a few themed question threads or requests threads that could be turned into tutorials either from users or from LWD staffers.

Anyway, giving us a separate forum or two for 'Tutorials' and 'How To' requests would at least streamline the forums and searching the forums. Those threads deemed most helpful by the users and LWD could then earn sticky status in the Tutorials forum.
I think that's a fantastic idea! I'll work on getting it implemented! In the mean time we've made the thread a sticky one.

Thanks again for making these videos, they're a great help!
BJ is offline   #60 Reply With Quote