Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Feature Requests
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

HippyCraig

Old March 16th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I have been trying to make entering in data easier for myself by modifying a few topics, I copied over the monster topic and made it specifically for my campaign so I didn't modify the original.

As I am adding new snippets to the template I notice that I could use two types of snippets to be added. For example I would like to see a label similar to how a number works but just to be able to have a label for Strength and provide a value, yes I could use a number but an text field to follow the label would be nice. I dont need to create a new tag for this but just to put maybe a XP value and then an field were I can enter the value and some addition notes on a single line.

Next would be a to modify the Text snippet to include a default value, I find myself creating tables in the text snippet and filling in values depending on the monster being entered. Its very tedious to have to copy and paste a template of that table into each monster as a starting point but to be able in the topic template to provide a default value would be nice, anything that I could enter into a real snippet that you already have features for in the program is what I would like to use for a default text.

For example I like to have the bold text and the table added to each new monster as part of my custom topic template and just fill in the other column with custom monster data, see attached.

One other thought would be to have a spell check added to the tool, I know there are a lot of custom words that campaigns can use but having a custom dictionary would be helpful to make sure we are at least spelling the names the same each time and just for general spell checking
Attached Images
File Type: png MonsterSample.png (20.0 KB, 21 views)
HippyCraig is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:17 PM
For templates, try creating a Topic/Article, filling it out how you'd like, and duplicating it. (Then you can have multiple templates using the same Category.)

Last edited by Parody; March 16th, 2015 at 01:22 PM.
Parody is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old March 16th, 2015, 06:10 PM
I was currently doing that I was looking for a better way to get this accomplished, this solves an immediate. As the ability to copy content from Realm to Realm becomes available I this would make things easier as well.

What about Labels, is that something on the list? Would anyone else find that useful? Even with the above I would be able to setup at least a single like to look and act like I would need without having to copy an existing topic.

And how about spell check? Any thoughts on that.
HippyCraig is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 16th, 2015, 08:55 PM
Yes, labels and spell check have been discussed.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HippyCraig View Post
One other thought would be to have a spell check added to the tool, I know there are a lot of custom words that campaigns can use but having a custom dictionary would be helpful to make sure we are at least spelling the names the same each time and just for general spell checking
Spell check can be found here
http://forums.wolflair.com/showthrea...ht=spell+check
so you can add your voice (add a +1 for what its worth) to those carrying that particular banner (ie CALENDARS) sorry momentary slip... hehehe

Seriously
I for one am not on the spell check bandwagon,,, to me it just gives LWD another reason not to finish more important tasks.. JMO

As I posted in that thread
http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....9&postcount=17
there is a free workaround that is customizable and overlays RW (and everything else for that matter, so you may want to turn it off and on as needed) That will catch your "unique non-mis-spelled words" that are mis-spelled.

my 2cp
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 17th, 2015, 12:11 PM
First the serious part of the post: thank you for the linkages DLG.

And now the snarky one: RealmWorks DOES include a spell checker (sort of) -- if an item doesn't link properly, chances are good that it's spelled wrong.... What RW is missing is spell correction or spell suggestion.

And now the opinion part: I'm with DLG in regards to needing a spell checker. There are sooooo many other features that are essential that while it would be nice, I'd rate it very low on my desire list. Each major feature seems to require about 6-12 months of dev time so we might anticipate 2-4 major updates a year right now. Spell checking for multiple concurrent languages (real and make believe) could be more complex than we think it should be. And many folks get annoyed when they have numerous link checks when saving a topic. Imagine link checks plus spelling checks.
AEIOU is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 17th, 2015, 01:19 PM
@AEIOU... Spot On

@ All,
For me I, do to my increased Sinicism at the release of a questionable survey (wont beat that dead horse here) , have tried to separate my LWD wishes since their track record (sofar) is best defined as "soon".
I query myself on the following:
  1. *Is the "widget" wanted unique to the support others, for my use, a convenience or improvement to the gaming experience?
    When do I need the "widget"?
    Can the "widget" be duplicated by preexisting software so not to
    a>Impede LDW sparse resources
    b>simple to use
    c>Doesn't interfere with or slow the real goal... Game Play

So utilizing the "Flow or Thought" above
Does Spell Check abilities uniquely support the gaming experience?
Na not so much.

Does Spell Check abilities aid my use of the software & support others (ie Players that have PERW)?
Yea, some incase I fat finger something... but if the players misspell anything no one knows because currently the information flow is a one way street.

Can the same thing be accomplished without adding to RW program or increasing Developer work load?
Yep, So this, in my mind, is classified "Fluff". Yea it would be nice to have, but hardly integral to the use of the program.

And at those Calendar Banner Waivers....
**** SOAP BOX RANT AHEAD*******
taking the same approach,

Does Custom Calendar abilities uniquely support the gaming experience?
Yes, unless your world (and MOST DONT LWD) uses a Gregorian Calendar structure. Lets remember, the ultimate selling point of the software was supposed to be for DMs to "Manage their campaign worlds more easily" What world functions without a calendar?????
Does Custom Calendar aid my use of the software & support others (ie Players that have PERW)?
Yea, it does. For new players they can more readily acclimate to the gaming experience of a lot of the "world events' and background detailing that a Custom Calendar brings. Further, by tying it to other elements such as events, player journals, etc this helps create HISTORY which also ADDS to the gaming experience.
Can the same thing be accomplished without adding to RW program or increasing Developer work load?
Yes & No, , while I have (and still am do to unfulfilled promises) utilizing a 3rd party software to maintain this much needed piece of ANY world. By doing so it has not simplified my use of Realm Works, it causes a duplication of work to mimic what should have been done in the RW software to begin with. The only way to currently use my history with my custom calendar is to create events of EACH and EVERY part. The tracking of time and events should be integral to the use of the program. In its current state, this creates more work not less.

This feature, at the current state is an EPIC FAIL on LWD part. All conveniently concealed under the cloak of "the Survey says". LWD has conveniently forgotten that the DMs supply the game world to play in, not the players, yet have given the players equal voice in the determinations of what is important in the use of the software. I for one (unlike Rob's posting) was not surprised that player desires such as journals were higher,,,, there are more players than DMs... should be no surprise. BUT should there be equal voice?? No, in 30 plus years of gaming I have never had a shortage of players, where as, I am sure there are NUMOROUS players without DMs.

So add what +1's you will my friends... it matters little more than to create the next skewed survey list.

DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 17th, 2015, 02:29 PM
Derailing other threads doesn't help your cause, DLG.

ObTopic: HippyCraig, I guess I don't know what you're asking for as Numeric Snippets already have a text field. If what you want is just a Text Snippet with a label then try this thread: Text with titles. Otherwise, maybe a better example would be helpful. (Or maybe I'm just being dumb. It happens. :)

Parody is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 17th, 2015, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Derailing other threads doesn't help your cause, DLG.
You're right... my apologies all, though frankly, I have given up on "my cause" as it falls on LW deaf ears anyway.

Again, my apologies to the community for the thread deviation.
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
HippyCraig

Old March 17th, 2015, 04:47 PM
The spell check was just an afterthought and the tool that LDG mentioned would be just fine, I didn't want to open that can of worms, as that was not the focus.

Parody, thanks my main focus was the text snippets with the ability in topic in custom category and the idea of a label snippet with a single line of text that resembles a tag snippet without having to add a tag. The threads you mentioned help as it seems other people have similar ideas and I hope they get implement. I think these two idea would be a good addition as making custom categories would enable sharing content and the way you would like your content used with other uses would show through better as the market becomes available.
HippyCraig is offline   #10 Reply With Quote