Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

jbearwillis

Old September 1st, 2017, 10:22 AM
How would I begin to script this ability? Totally lost on this one.

A Proficiency

At first level, and again at 7th, 11th, 15th and 19th level you chooses any one skill, tool, instrument, kit, vehicle, gaming set, saving throw, armor or weapon you are not proficient with. You cannot choose heavy armor unless you are proficient with medium armor, and you cannot choose medium armor unless you are proficient with light armor. You are now proficient with your choice.
jbearwillis is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old September 6th, 2017, 07:09 PM
Well, guess no one had any suggestions, so thanks any way.
jbearwillis is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 7th, 2017, 07:00 AM
Actually, was thinking on this one, its just more complex than a simple answer.

You reference all types of proficiencies with this one and then you add a twist for the armor proficiencies at the end. This wouldn't be a simple script.

You can look at the Skilled feat code and related 5CAddProf procedure to add proficiencies for skills and tools. Or look at the Proficiencies adjustment.

You can look at the Lightly Armored feat code and Moderately Armored feat code to see how to add armor proficiency, then you have to figure out how to add the prerequisite code for Moderately Armored to stop from allowing medium before light, heavy before medium or light, etc...

Then you look at the Weapon Proficiencies adjustment to add weapons.

Now take all three of those code bases and merge them into a single super class ability that grants a single choice at multiple levels - it's a complex task that would take time and testing.

Which is why, if you're replicating a Commoner class (not sure what the Commer class is), it's easier to make one-off Custom monsters for commoners that are stronger than normal.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old September 7th, 2017, 07:45 AM
Well part of why it is so encompassing is that the commer really doesn't start with anything, No weapon proficiencies, favored saving throws, etc. I would have to check, but I think they start with 1 tool proficiency.

It was a class I got off of the DM Guild. I really like what they have done, but I agree, it would be one hell of a script, if you could even do it. I was just throw it out there, hoping with all hope that some one would step in and say, oh that is doable. I know wishful thinking.
I think I am going to change some things in the class and make it more easily workable in.
jbearwillis is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
vardeman

Old September 7th, 2017, 11:31 AM
WTH is a Commer?
vardeman is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old September 7th, 2017, 01:23 PM
This is the description of the class:

Commoner
Clad in dirty clothing, rummaging through the sewers looking for a snack, clad in sturdy work clothes wailing away at a wooden log or sitting still for hours while balancing numbers on an arcane spread sheet, commoners come in as many forms and sizes as people do. Commoners lack the combat or spell training or magical luck that other classes have. Commoners are not trained for combat and are more often interested in how to apply their trade in a gainful manner than to find something to slaughter and loot.

Master of his craft:
Experienced commoners often become experts in their field, using their knowledge and experience to be good craftsmen, or give professional service. Commoners don’t study or train much, mostly relying on working experience to get them through life. Normally, the goal of a commoner is to find stable footing in their life, raise a family in a good environment and create opportunities for their children that they themselves did not have. Commoners are seldom adventurers, but many adventurers will have commoners as friends, family and confidants. Most NPC’s are commoners.
jbearwillis is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
jbearwillis

Old September 7th, 2017, 02:30 PM
It should of said Commoner
jbearwillis is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old September 8th, 2017, 06:33 AM
TLDR: It is *much* easier to create custom monsters for the one-off commoners you'll come across - especially because proficiencies and saves are easy 1-click adds to a custom monster. ALSO, there are plenty of NPC examples in the Community files and there are some Templates to add a non-human race or create templates of your own to apply to these NPCs.

LONG VERSION:

So, I played with this a lot, and it is possible to do but I feel the need to point out some misconceptions about creating a commoner class that the author of the dmsguild article forgot:

1. Tool proficiencies can be earned through training (pg. 187 of Player's). For a commoner it could be assumed that they spent 250 days as an apprentice at some point in their life, so granting them a tool proficiency at given levels isn't as beneficial as giving them a feat. There is no reason that a DM can't allow NPCs to learn how to use weapons during a 250 day course to become a Guard or Militia man, which then leads to giving your Commoner guard stats and any earlier training in tools he gets from the training mechanism.

2. Buffing commoners with levels was a result that lead to 4th edition - each "minion" now has a mechanism to buff up to scale with PC power levels. But I'll deny 4th edition existed, same as there is no Highlander 2 movie, though.

Anyway, the class feature for the commoner would have to have 2 scripts and a array based menu that reads (Skill, Tool, Save, ...)

The important one is the one that runs at Final/99999 that builds the dropdown menu and the code will go like this:

Code:
doneif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)
doneif (tagis[Helper.Disable] <> 0)

var listed as string

~ build the usrCandid based on selection from usertext dropdown.
if (field[usrIndex].value = 0) then
~ Skill is displayed on left.
  listed = "(component.BaseSkill & !Helper.Proficient)"
elseif (field[usrIndex].value = 1) then
~ Save is displayed on left.
  listed = "(component.BaseSave & !Hide.Save & !Helper.Proficient)"
elseif (field[usrIndex].value = 2) then
~ Armor proficiency is displayed on left
~ do nothing, increase armor from none to light to medium in script #2
elseif (field[usrIndex].value = 3) then
~ Weapon proficiency is displayed on left
listed = "component.BaseWep & (wProfReq.Martial|wProfReq.Simple)"
endif

field[usrCandid1].text = listed
The second script will need to run at Post-Levels/10000 and it will have to
do the same above, except where it builds the "listed" string, you'll want to pull the tags from the 2nd dropdown box.

with something like:
Code:
if (field[usrIndex].value = 2) then
~ we have Saves listed on the array dropdown, grab what ability is listed on 2nd dropdown
perform field[usrChosen1]chosen.pulltags[ProfSave.?]
perform hero.pushtags[ProfSave.?]
elseif ...
dungeonguru is offline   #8 Reply With Quote