Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Madmaxneo

Old March 10th, 2017, 12:38 PM
First I wasn't quite sure what to name this thread but here is my issue:
Every time I open Realm Works each and every area that I have input info on the dropdown list is open. For example: The Entity's list is open, the Individual's list is open, the Races (of my world) is open, the Group: Ethnic is open, etc, etc, etc. Is there any way to have all these areas stay in the state I last saved Realm Works to? I prefer to have them closed or collapsed so as to reduce the clutter and make it more easy to find what I am looking for.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.
Programming experience: Java and Javascript (Maptools and PDF programming).
Madmaxneo is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Goreshade

Old March 10th, 2017, 12:50 PM
I have a lot of entries in the Mechanics Refence, it would be nice to be able to open the file with them in their closed state.
Goreshade is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 10th, 2017, 12:56 PM
This is a very frequently requested feature. It is not yet available.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 10th, 2017, 01:46 PM
In the meantime, there is a keyboard command (Ctrl+-) that will collapse all of the hierarchy.

If you are using the Groups instead, Ctrl+Shift+- will collapse them all.

Keep in mind that each Tab maintains its own Navigation Pane (and hierarchy), so you would need to do the same for each tab individually. Which is part of the challenge in preserving each of them when you close the application -- the more tabs you use, the more hierarchies there are to preserve.. and if you have thousands of Topics, that's potentially [thousands of topics] x [number of tabs] to save.
Silveras is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 10th, 2017, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Keep in mind that each Tab maintains its own Navigation Pane (and hierarchy), so you would need to do the same for each tab individually. Which is part of the challenge in preserving each of them when you close the application -- the more tabs you use, the more hierarchies there are to preserve.. and if you have thousands of Topics, that's potentially [thousands of topics] x [number of tabs] to save.
Tabs aren't the issue. Every tab, in the same view shares the same navigation pane. The issue, as it was explained was the views.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old March 10th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
Tabs aren't the issue. Every tab, in the same view shares the same navigation pane. The issue, as it was explained was the views.
Nope. each tab has its own Navigation Pane. I admit it is not obvious, but it is true (and I urged LWD to make the Navigation Pane's controls bar more obviously a child within the Tab structure to make this more visually clear).

Opening a Topic by "View in new Tab" copies the settings of the current Navigation View when it creates a new one, but they are independent (regardless of Named View.

To prove it...
  1. Create a Named View
  2. Set the hierarchy's collapsed state as you like.. some open, some closed is best for this purpose.
  3. Right-click on a Topic that is near an expended node.
  4. Select "View in new Tab"
  5. The new tab opens.
  6. Switch to it. The hierarchy looks the same.. and the Named View is the same one as before.
  7. Change something... to a different Named View, or collapse an expanded node.
  8. Go back to the prior Tab. The previous state is restored... Named View and expanded/collapsed states.
  9. Return to the new Tab. The changes made before (different Named View and/or collapsed node) are restored.
Silveras is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old March 11th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Quote:
In the meantime, there is a keyboard command (Ctrl+-) that will collapse all of the hierarchy.

If you are using the Groups instead, Ctrl+Shift+- will collapse them all.

I didn't know it was a feature that was needed or being requested. I thought it was just another thing I did not know how to do yet.

This will work for now. I'd like to be able to save the last state before closing RW that way the last group(s) I had opened would stay opened and everything else would stay closed.

Quote:
Nope. each tab has its own Navigation Pane. I admit it is not obvious, but it is true (and I urged LWD to make the Navigation Pane's controls bar more obviously a child within the Tab structure to make this more visually clear).

Opening a Topic by "View in new Tab" copies the settings of the current Navigation View when it creates a new one, but they are independent (regardless of Named View.

To prove it...
  1. Create a Named View
  2. Set the hierarchy's collapsed state as you like.. some open, some closed is best for this purpose.
  3. Right-click on a Topic that is near an expended node.
  4. Select "View in new Tab"
  5. The new tab opens.
  6. Switch to it. The hierarchy looks the same.. and the Named View is the same one as before.
  7. Change something... to a different Named View, or collapse an expanded node.
  8. Go back to the prior Tab. The previous state is restored... Named View and expanded/collapsed states.
  9. Return to the new Tab. The changes made before (different Named View and/or collapsed node) are restored.
I am not sure I understand. First thing is I am not even sure what you mean by "Create a Named View". THough I know there is still so much more for me to learn in RW I can do a lot of things. I may have created a "Named View" before but may not know that is what it is called.... In fact as you can see by my OP I am not even up to speed on the naming conventions that are used.

GM of HARP, Rolemaster, Spacemaster, Dreamchaser, Savage Worlds, and a myriad of other not so well known systems.
Software I use for gaming: Realm Works, Inspiration Pad Pro, Ebon, Aeon Timeline, Scrivener, Syrinscape, Hexagon, Fantasia Archive, OneNote, and a spreadsheet program.
Mapping programs: CC3+, MapForge, Worldographer, Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 10.

Last edited by Madmaxneo; March 11th, 2017 at 09:15 AM.
Madmaxneo is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old March 11th, 2017, 10:37 AM
The story almanac is a named view, the world almanac is one as well but it is the default view. You can create views of your own.

A view is basically a selected subset of your realm.

my Realm Works videos
kbs666 is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Madmaxneo

Old March 11th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
The story almanac is a named view, the world almanac is one as well but it is the default view. You can create views of your own.

A view is basically a selected subset of your realm.
This I did not know. I had been going under the idea that Story view was the current story line and World View was the overall world and those two things were set in stone.
I can only find the option for Create Article View or Create Topic View or by using the " + Create" button to Create New Content Element, but I find nothing to create a "Named View".

Madmaxneo is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 11th, 2017, 10:52 AM
That's the right place. You can create your own named views of the story or mechanics articles.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #10 Reply With Quote