Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

adzling

Old December 18th, 2015, 10:00 AM
So I have added a bunch of custom Categories to my Shadowrun Realm to better reflect the game system.

Am I correct in observing that there is no way to add a pre-defined table to a text snippet in a pre-defined Category item so that it shows up ready to be populated with data when an item is created using that Category definition?

(there also seems to be no "table" type snippet)

Or is there some kind of workaround that lets you get a specific table design into a snippet such that it always shows up when you create an item in that Category?

thanks
adzling is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Pollution

Old December 18th, 2015, 11:24 AM
You are correct.

Best you can do, if you do a lot of tables (like for statblocks or something) is to create a template with that table built, then duplicate it whenever you need it.
Pollution is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old December 18th, 2015, 12:14 PM
You mean copy and past the table into each new snippet correct?
That is what I'm currently doing, it just does not leverage the snippets.

Side question: Do snippets accept ANY pre-determined content (simple text for example)?

I had though that was possible but now that i'm testing it I don't think that works...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollution View Post
You are correct.
Best you can do, if you do a lot of tables (like for statblocks or something) is to create a template with that table built, then duplicate it whenever you need it.
adzling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
King Chicken

Old December 18th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Asked a similar question in http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=53961

Got the same answer. Disappointed, but got around it by creating single articles and then copy pasting from one tab to the entry I wanted it in. Essentially just named a snippet in the custom category "Progression Chart" or some such, and then when I make the new entry, just paste the chart in. Works for statblocks, just not as elegant a solution as I wanted.
King Chicken is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old December 18th, 2015, 07:55 PM
I've never found template articles satisfying for something like a statblock table. If I'm create a spell, or monster, then sure, copy from a template article or topic and edit. But if I just want a table, I find it interrupts my flow too much to open another topic/article, copy the content I want, and paste it into the new article/topic.

A text expander is a life saver in this situation. I use PhraseExpress, but there are others, like ActiveWords.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old December 18th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
Side question: Do snippets accept ANY pre-determined content (simple text for example)?
Most snippet types do not allow for default values. (Tags are an exception that comes to mind.)

Instead (answering your first question) make a template Topic/Article and duplicate the Topic/Article when you want to make a new one. So you might have a Topic named "Template NPC" using the Individual Category; in that Topic you set up all of your favorite tables and whatnot in the various Snippets. When you go to write up a new NPC, duplicate "Template NPC" and go from there.

Parody is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old December 18th, 2015, 11:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
I would like this possibility.

However, at present the snippet will be (can be) filled with a ghosted text giving clues as to what the snippet was intended for, which is also a very useful thing. So I am not quite sure how to implement both things at the same time.

I made a kind of work around and at the same time addressed the challenge I have presently with no support for my custom calendar system:

Dates.png

Granted, it only works for certain things, it involves tags and is a far cry from snippets with pre-determined tabels and what-not.

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote