Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

goldensword52

Old July 1st, 2016, 01:58 PM
Hi all, Realm Works is good for a lot of things, but one thing I have really been wanting is a way for it to be used as a character sheet for my players. I could always type all the info in manually, but that would be an awful lot of work. I've tried using hero lab as well, but my players and I agree that something simpler would be preferred.

My first choice would be able to open, edit, and the save PDFs or RTFs back to Realm Works. That way my players and I could just use PDF or RTF snippets as character sheets. Another good option would be some method of allowing players to edit certain topics. At the very worst, the topic could contain a hyperlink to a collaborative website.

Has anyone else had any luck with this sort of thing? Has anyone managed to use realm works for player character sheets in a way that players can edit? Thanks in advance.
goldensword52 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 1st, 2016, 03:08 PM
For what you are seeking, RW is not the solution. I'd recommend DropBox or something similar for keeping character sheets in synch.

Report RealmWorks bugs here
Report Pathfinder HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab bugs here
Report 5e HeroLab Community Pack bugs here
AEIOU is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 2nd, 2016, 12:14 AM
Actually, it can be done.

However, as AEIOU mentions, you would mainly be using features outside of RW and there might be some issues to consider.

Anyway, take a look at this thread and my work-around towards the end: http://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=55811

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old July 2nd, 2016, 06:52 AM
@Vargr: You are correct, URI linkages could work. But if HeroLab is too complex for the OP's group, the hoops you are referencing are certainly not easier. I was trying to recommend a solution for the OP. Thanks for the link though as others reading this thread may find it very useful. Here's hoping that someday we may be able to get stuff into and out of RW as GM and player more easily.
AEIOU is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old July 2nd, 2016, 08:06 AM
That's a pretty excellent idea actually, having player editable/ uploadable character sheets would be very helpful for our group too.

Could be tied into a player's journal, which is also very needed imho.
adzling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
goldensword52

Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:09 AM
I guess should have said that Hero Labs is too "feature rich" for us, but URI links sounds like it could have potential. My one concern would be: wouldn't anything that the URI manipulates be saved to only the current computer? I can't think of any way to save that data back into Realm Works, for synchronizing across both my computer and the players'. The workaround described in the other post sounds like more trouble than it's worth if I have to teach it to all 7(!) of my players.

Still though, thanks for the info, I'm sure I can figure out some other cool stuff to do with it, maybe for handling playlists. For character sheets, I might still just sick with an old fashioned link to a website like Dochub.
goldensword52 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 3rd, 2016, 11:23 AM
Basically it is like using dropbox. Save the file where the GM saved it and keep the name.

But yes, you are bound to have one or more players who are going to go "It doesn't work! It is too complicated! It scared my cat!".

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old July 6th, 2016, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
But yes, you are bound to have one or more players who are going to go "It doesn't work! It is too complicated! It scared my cat!".
Too long have our feline overlords lounged in the sun, fat on treats and high on nip. Put the fear of god in them, Vargr!
Aaron is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old July 6th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Feline overlords? Don't let the mice hear you say that... 42.
Viking2054 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old July 6th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Lol!!

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Vargr is offline   #10 Reply With Quote