Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

daplunk

Old February 19th, 2018, 11:52 AM
LWD didn't prepare for Paizo's new api requirement because Paizo had not announced it themselves. If you look in the fantasy grounds corner they also had issues with the api at launch. The difference in resolution times so far has been astounding though. They are up and running apparently after a few weeks delay. And that was back in 2017.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 19th, 2018, 05:15 PM
A few days ago I asked for some info regarding the remaining KS materials in another thread.

We have been told several times that these would be made available before the CM launches, so the issue with Paizo being first out of the gate doesn't apply. Plainly the mechanism for delivery exists, as other free materials are available. These are not Paizo materials, so the API issues don't apply.

But my query in the thread linked above has been met with dead silence from LW. Possibly I asked too nicely? This thread started out with (tongue in cheek) semi-snide sarcasm and got near immediate response...

Last edited by Maidhc O Casain; February 19th, 2018 at 05:17 PM.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
BJ
Lone Wolf Staff

Old February 19th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Hello everyone!

My apologies for the delay on this one! It’s entirely my fault, I was in and out of the office this week recovering from a hospital stay after an allergic reaction. Apparently, new medications are my kryptonite. Sadly, our new Director of Communications didn’t have the knowledge to answer this thread while I was indisposed and catching up with all the other items that needed my attention.

I honestly don't have a lot of information on the features you'd like to see here. I certainly wish I did! I would love to see calendars in place myself. Really, I have dreams where we have provided calendars and the world is a happy place. Which are preferable to the nightmares where you all chase me around with pitchforks and threaten to burn me at the stake for not having them. The simple truth is that we are focusing on the Content Market because Realm Works has to make an income to pay its devs and we can't let the product go under trying to create a better calendar or other highly desired feature. We have to help pick the paths forward that make sense from a business perspective. Please understand, we are in no way abandoning Realm Works or work on future improvements to the program and we have a lot of dreams and goals in store for it that go well beyond where it is now.

I am a fan of Realm Works and I want to see it succeed. To do that, we need it to start bringing in a better revenue, so we can have more people to work on it and make it everything the company originally hoped it would be. I assure you, the Realm Works devs are focusing on Realm Works. They are currently working to fix a few of the bugs I have pointed out to them that are stopping consumers from using the program entirely and getting the workaround in place for the API issue. They are a very small team, so all these things take time and that has been part of the problem all along.

As I said a while back, I can’t change the past decisions made, all we can do is move forward with what we can realistically do given the resources we have, give honest answers, and try to get the past all wrapped up so we can move on to bigger and better features in the future. We have to launch the Content Market to fund all these items everyone wants to see. I get frustrated right along with you when I see the wonderful ideas you have here and I realize we simply don’t have the staff to make them happen right now.

While we would love to launch the Content Market as is, we simply can't for a variety of reasons. One of those reasons is that a market with just 3PP content is going to seem awfully small and be a poor representation of what we have to offer the world. That is not the only reason, but it is one of them I will share with you. I am also pursuing other licensed material while we wait for the devs to fix the API issue. Hopefully, that will make for an even better market in the future as well as speak to more of our consumers, making it even more likely we will be able to expand our team. While it’s true we have hired people lately, we have had very little actual team growth as we’ve mostly hired new people to replace others and improve our customer service. As we look to the future, our goal is to expand so that we no longer have to struggle so long to put new things in place.

As for the API, we thought everything we needed for it was in place a year ago and that turned out to be inaccurate. We didn't discover this until we were ready to launch the market and Paizo is understandably busy with their own house. We aren't throwing them under the bus, we are happy with our relationship with Paizo, we are just trying to find our own path while we patiently wait for their aid. Our system isn't the same as Fantasy Grounds, but like them, we will have to use a workaround that will take time to create.

As far as the backer content, we will have more items out to you as soon as possible. I can’t answer that thread right now because the people who I need to get a status report from to do so aren’t in the office today due to the Holiday, but I’ll try to come back around to it tomorrow.

I hope that clears up at least some of the questions. I greatly appreciate all of your patience to date with the program and the company and I understand your frustration. I’ll keep working to accomplish everything I can for you but please understand that like everything else, reorganization takes time.

Last edited by BJ; February 19th, 2018 at 10:54 PM.
BJ is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
ErinRigh

Old February 19th, 2018, 09:34 PM
Thanks BJ
ErinRigh is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old February 20th, 2018, 02:22 AM
Thanks for the honest answer BJ.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old February 20th, 2018, 06:59 AM
It is so weird that I saw this thread right now.

I had a very odd dream last night about being swarmed with lots of mosquitoes (probably because it was hot down here while on holiday in Mazatalan and I forgot to turn on the AC). I haven't yet decided whether it was related to us and BJ having to deal with all our comments or with the programmers having to deal with the bugs we find. In either situation, it seems to be a case of swat one and two more show up.
Gord is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old February 20th, 2018, 07:28 AM
"As I said a while back, I can’t change the past decisions made, all we can do is move forward with what we can realistically do given the resources we have, give honest answers, and try to get the past all wrapped up so we can move on to bigger and better features in the future. We have to launch the Content Market to fund all these items everyone wants to see. I get frustrated right along with you when I see the wonderful ideas you have here and I realize we simply don’t have the staff to make them happen right now."

Aaaand there it is.

The moment that the narrative pivots from "It's coming! We have this incredible plan and you guys just won't let us alone to implement it!" to "Well, we'll have to see what we can do to rescue this project because our plan isn't really working and we bit off more than we can afford to chew.".

That right there is what I've been waiting to see, hoping I wouldn't see, but mostly expecting to see: The standard kickstarter "Let em down slowly" pitch.
MaxSupernova is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 20th, 2018, 07:35 AM
LWD has two options to pay for continued development of RW.

1) The CM which seems stalled and has such unbelievably bad word of mouth at this point I doubt it can be ever recover no matter what.

2) Deliver features that encourage more GM's to buy and get players to buy the product as well. LWD may not like this idea but it may be time to start looking at it because if they think selling old AP's is going to save them they really have another thing coming.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old February 20th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Oh, I don't know. I would totally buy RotRL. And I've been considering buying the PDF of Curse of the Crimson Throne - if I do I'd buy the RW package for it as well. There are other APs I really like and would probably purchase.

Also, Bestiaries.

Not rulebooks, and one-shot modules I'd enter myself.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old February 20th, 2018, 08:54 AM
If they re-work the application to be 64bit, render tabs in an instant and optimize how things go, I am paying gladly for such upgrade. Packing some UI improvements for extra punch and they got my money if costed in the proper way.

The old model for paid major versions is fair and I would not think twice. The other model is extortion and every developer and business owners thinking for it should go to hell.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #30 Reply With Quote