Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

MNBlockHead

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:10 AM
Looks like WoTC is coming out with an official character generator for 5e.

Not sure what this will mean for HL ever getting a 5e license. It may be seen as a direct competitor. I hope that's not the case as I don't see D&D Beyond being as customizable. All speculation until I get my hands on the beta.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old March 12th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Makes me want to beat my head against the wall
Dervish is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 12th, 2017, 04:48 PM
After there last two attempts at creating their own character generators I swore off using there software. There 4th edition character creator ruined so many of my characters by enforcing errata that I gave my 4e books away and literally will not touch 4e with a 100-foot cattle prod ( i may use a flamethrower though).

Watch your back, Conserve your ammo,
and NEVER cut a deal with a dragon!
Mergon is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 12th, 2017, 05:32 PM
This isn't their software. This is a 3pp who has obtained a license.

Realm Works - Community Links
Realm Work and Hero Lab Videos
Ream Works Facebook User Group
CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Contributor
General Hero Lab Support & Community Resources
D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 12th, 2017, 05:33 PM
That's different, but I'll stick with HL.

Mergon is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 12th, 2017, 05:42 PM
Collecting more information.

This will have bundle purchases and an ongoing subscription model to unlock more character slots and home brew content.

At launch we will have the compendium content, character builder, and digital character sheet. DM tools are absolutely on the roadmap (encounter builder, combat tracker, campaign management, etc)!

CC3+ Facebook User Group

D&D 5e Community Pack - Install Instructions / D&D 5e Community Pack - Log Fault / D&D 5e Community Pack - Editor Knowledge Base

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 12th, 2017, 05:48 PM
Perhaps, but if its anything like Fantasy Grounds the price will be ridiculous. If HL got a License I might consider it, but Fantasy Grounds has a ridiculous UI and pricing.

Right now, having just got Realm Works, I am trying to figure everything out. I'll be happier when HL revamps its tactical display,

To date, HL's pricing has been reasonable, but WotC believes in unreasonable pricing. You pay a small fortune for the hard cover books, then spend the same or more for digital copies like in Fantasy Ground.

Mergon is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
daplunk

Old March 12th, 2017, 05:53 PM
If the license ever happens my approach would change. Would have to stop buying physical books (which I never use anyway once they are in Realm Works). Would just but them in RW/HL.

CC3+ Facebook User Group

Obsidian
Obsidian TTRPG Tutorials
daplunk is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Grimmric

Old March 13th, 2017, 01:42 AM
Not really happy that D&D Beyond will have a monthly subscription fee.
Hopefully HL will get a licence.
See info below that was posted on the forums at Reddit.
---------------------------------------------------
Adam here, product lead for DDB at Curse.
At launch, players will be able to access SRD content and build and view a small number of characters with a free D&D Beyond account.
We don’t have exact pricing nailed down, but you will also be able to buy official digital D&D content for all fifth edition products with flexible purchase options. You can pay only for the D&D content you need. If you only play fighters, for example, you’ll be able to just pick up the stuff you need to track swinging that giant two-handed sword.
A small monthly subscription will be needed to manage more than a handful of characters and to enable more advanced features, like homebrew content integration. At this time, we don’t know exactly how much the subscription will cost, but please continue to check dndbeyond.com for the most up-to-date announcements and information!
-----------------------------------------------------
Grimmric is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Mergon

Old March 13th, 2017, 08:25 AM
This sounds like the 4e online character creator. You needed to pay a month DnDInsider fee. You had a limited number of character slots. It forced updates down your throat whether you wanted them or not.

I had a 6th level rogue that got messed up to the point I could no longer play him as intended. I ended up cancelling my DnDInsider account, gave away all my 4e materials, and absolutely refuse to run or play 4e.

If HL had 4e support at the time, things may have been different, but I didn't discover HL until I'd switched from 4e to Pathfinder.

As it is, I won't touch an Online only character builder that requires a fee and gives you no control or what updates they can force upon you.

At least with HL you can create as many characters as you could possibly want at the cost of a 1 time License fee.

Mergon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote