Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old January 16th, 2016, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
ShadowChemosh, from the stickied thread: "Oh, and for those of you with tablets, D&D 5th Edition support WILL be available on the iPad!"
I don't read stuff. You should know that!

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old January 16th, 2016, 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYGamer View Post
Thank you, Liz. Currently I have four licenses: one for my desktop, one for my laptop, one for my S.O.'s desktop, and one for a computer that is no longer functioning. From the sounds of it, if I want to get Hero Lab running with full functionality on my iPad and my S.O.'s iPad, I can re-task the license from our computer that is no longer functioning, and buy a fifth license. Is that correct?
That's spot on - Last year, I replaced my laptop (Windows 8 - shudder) and started playing Pathfinder, so I reallocated my laptop licence and bought a secondary for the iPad - it will work just like that. Than I installed Windows 10 and had to get my laptop's hero lab licence unlocked so I could transfer the licence due to technical issues.
Elindor is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
CNYGamer

Old January 17th, 2016, 06:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elindor View Post
That's spot on - Last year, I replaced my laptop (Windows 8 - shudder) and started playing Pathfinder, so I reallocated my laptop licence and bought a secondary for the iPad - it will work just like that. Than I installed Windows 10 and had to get my laptop's hero lab licence unlocked so I could transfer the licence due to technical issues.
Thanks for the confirmation, Elindor.
CNYGamer is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Grimmric

Old January 19th, 2016, 04:29 AM
See if i get this right.
The SRD just include the same stuff that was in the starter pdf?
At least when it comes to classes and such?
So for a cleric its just life and sun? No more?

If this is the case i guess i will wait until we get more stuff.
And continue with how i play today.
Grimmric is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Dervish

Old January 19th, 2016, 06:53 AM
I will just open my books and enter the material that is not in the SRD.
Dervish is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Elindor

Old January 19th, 2016, 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmric View Post
See if i get this right.
The SRD just include the same stuff that was in the starter pdf?
At least when it comes to classes and such?
So for a cleric its just life and sun? No more?

If this is the case i guess i will wait until we get more stuff.
And continue with how i play today.
No, the SRD is different to the Basic Rules PDF. The major differences are

Every race from the PHB, but only one subrace of each, instead of 4 races with subraces
Every class from the PHB, with one subclass each, expanding from the four classes with a single subclass
Only one background (Acolyte) as opposed to five
Wider spell list (In order to accommodate Bards, Druids, Paladins, Rangers, Sorcerers and Warlocks)
1 feat (Grappler) as opposed to no feats
More Magic Items
Some optional rules (such as Madness and Multiclassing rules)
I think there's more monsters in the SRD - haven't compared the lists.

This means that the entire structure of a character will be present in the 5e SRD, and so will probably be present in the data files. It should make adding new pieces relatively straightforward as the needed elements are there.
Elindor is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
Starchildren3317

Old January 27th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I was really excited when I heard that HL was going to support 5th Edition D&D but I guess Im just not seeing the benefit of just having access to the SRD.

For example, I just started my first 5th Edition campaign yesterday (and Im loving the system). I am playing a War Cleric. Seeing as the SRD only has the Life Cleric, this means that I can't create my character in HeroLab? Also, what if I decide to take feats (other than Grappler)? This also wont appear in HeroLab? To me, it seems to limited to be viable.

Am I missing something?

***This message is not a troll nor is its tone intended to be negative. I'm truly just trying to understand what will be available to me if I purchase this, because back in the day when I used to play Pathfinder, I found HeroLab to be INVALUABLE!
Starchildren3317 is offline   #27 Reply With Quote
MagicSN

Old January 29th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
The SRD is a subset of the overall suite of D&D rulebooks, so there will be content included in the PHB but not included in the SRD. However, once thing that makes Hero Lab unique is that the community can readily fill in those holes with the editor. Any data files created by the community are free.
But if these things are not covered in the SRD how should the community be able to fill the holes without violating the licence with WotC? It's the same problem all over which I am having since months. Since months I have a full implementation of the Player Manual and a large portion of the DMG ready for Hero Lab... As I understood it I could only release something covered in the SRD, or am I wrong here?

I had more hoped for a licence like "You are free to do character editors for 5e" from WoTC than what WoTC actually did. Freetime projects lack the resources to do a word-by-word-search if no "not-covered" word is used...

MagicSN
MagicSN is offline   #28 Reply With Quote
wurzel

Old January 29th, 2016, 05:46 AM
I think you can always use the IP stuff in your campaign if you own the books. The HL editor offers enough capabilities to recreate the missing parts. You simply must not sell the stuff if you use the intellectual property which WotC did not include in the SRD for some reason.
If you want to share your self-developed implementation for HL check out your local laws. I think in Germany you may do that since the IT-implementation carries just the names, but more than 90 percent are not WotC IP but your own.
If the names happen to be a problem, simply call the mind flayer a FFN ("fiend with four noses") and similar replacements and you're done.

DM: Tol'Uluk - game system independent homebrew world (so far AD&D 2, D&D3.5, Fate, Pathfinder, D&D5)
Tools: RW, CC3+, CD3, DD3, HL
RL: Retired senior IT manager. Now just housewife, grandma and fantasy author.
wurzel is offline   #29 Reply With Quote
Starchildren3317

Old January 29th, 2016, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSN View Post
But if these things are not covered in the SRD how should the community be able to fill the holes without violating the licence with WotC? It's the same problem all over which I am having since months. Since months I have a full implementation of the Player Manual and a large portion of the DMG ready for Hero Lab... As I understood it I could only release something covered in the SRD, or am I wrong here?

I had more hoped for a licence like "You are free to do character editors for 5e" from WoTC than what WoTC actually did. Freetime projects lack the resources to do a word-by-word-search if no "not-covered" word is used...

MagicSN
I was tossing around the idea of actually building out what is missing from the PHB once they release the SRD version of Herolab. But, if someone has already done the work.....

Mind sharing what you have?
Starchildren3317 is offline   #30 Reply With Quote