Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

BlueArcher

Old June 23rd, 2018, 08:19 AM
Hi

In my group, I have a Dwarven Paladin and she cast Find Steed last session - I used some old (1e) tables for random steeds and she got Unicorn. So I said it's a dwarf Unicorn - ie smaller and "weaker" than a full-sized Unicorn - and I developed the stats for it. But I cannot figure out how to use the editor to get that into the files so I can add it to her portfolio. Can anyone give me the Dummies Guide to creating a mount from scratch, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!
BlueArcher is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old June 23rd, 2018, 08:39 AM
For me, I would do no more than maybe reduce the height / weight, and maybe HP since a dwarf is still classified as a "medium class creature" for size. But if you are intent on a size change, simply change the size category from large to medium under race for unicorn (in the editor) and save as Unicorn,small to differ from the original.

IF you really want to further define, you can (as noted above) reduce the HP by a point a dice and the Min/Max height & Weight categories while there as well.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6ijfxdf7g3...Small.PNG?dl=0

The above screen shot is for 3.5e but the application is basically the same..
Go to the tools tab as shown here. Select Show Editor from the pull down.

That will take you to the 5e version of the Editor.

Select Race tab and scroll for Unicorn and select. This will load the basic 5e version of a unicorn racial template. Note the file has yet to be named (as pointed to in graphic)
Rename Unicorn to something like Unicorn,Small and assign a Unique Id

Then Save AS under file ( I named the example 5eAnimals) this will create a User file that you can store all of your user created animals for future use.

Note Saving names the user file for you and assigns the Unique ID to the "new unicorn"
After you have made whatever corrections to the file you desire, be sure to check user sources under sources button at bottom right and hit the test now button for Herolab to load the file.

DLG

D&D> Pre 1e White Box Edition, 1e, 2e, 3.5 Currently, Set in the World of Greyhawk (The first, longest running and Best Campaign Setting)
Software>Extensive use of all forms of MS Products, Visual Studio 2012, DAZ 3d, AutoCAD, Adobe Products.
Gaming Specific>Campaign Cartographer, D20 Pro Alpha & BattleGrounds Beta Tester, World Builder, Dungeon Crafter, LWD Hero Lab, Realm Works, Inkwell Ideas Citybuilder & Dungeon Builder, Auto-Realm, Dundjinni
Contributing Writer for TSR, WOC, & Canonfire

Last edited by Dark Lord Galen; June 23rd, 2018 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Clarified for 5e Use
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dungeonguru

Old June 24th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Good points from above, if you copy the unicorn and change the size to medium, by default it will reduce the HD to the next smaller die (d10 to d8). You might want to blank out the field for Default Starting HP and drop the CR by 1. This will create a race you can use for a mount.

As far as adding it to the "mount or hireling" section of HL, you can go to the General section of the editor and go to the Minion/Hireling tab and copy the Pony Minion and click the blue Minion button to the far right of the editor once you have the new entry up. The dialog for the Minion button will pop up another menu and you'll want to click the Bootstraps button under there. The next screen will show you that the Pony race (rPony) is bootstrapped. You can either just type over rPony with the race you made above or hit Choose and find your dwarf unicorn that way.
dungeonguru is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
BlueArcher

Old June 27th, 2018, 12:39 PM
Thanks both! Will give this a try and see what happens.
BlueArcher is offline   #4 Reply With Quote