Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

swedishpilgrim

Old October 19th, 2016, 02:44 AM
Thanks everyone. I have managed to read up a bit more and understand that might be a web based solution in the works. How likely is this to materialise and if so, when?

Personally like some other commentators I would strongly prefer a os x native version, particularly since I already have Hero lab for os x which would make it possible to jump between the two seamlessly.

I've had Parallels installed before but quit when Apple started updating their os every year as this forced you to update Parallels (about 50 USD) each time to only be able to run one or two nisch programmes.

Fredrik
swedishpilgrim is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old October 19th, 2016, 08:09 AM
i use parallels with realmworks and run hero lab natively in osx.
it all works fine, including integration ;-)
adzling is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old October 19th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adzling View Post
i use parallels with realmworks and run hero lab natively in osx.
it all works fine, including integration ;-)
Do you ever need to open a hero lab file from realm works? I swiched my install of Hero Lab to Parallels, because I thought they needed to be in the same environment. I have been tempted to switch back, but I have heard that you are unable to load a Hero Lab file from Realm Works.

Maybe its such a stupid thing to even think about.
NeoEvaX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old October 19th, 2016, 02:10 PM
It doesn't open up herolab but rather seems to embed the contents of the herolab file into the snippet in realmworks.

so when you click on the snipped it doesn't launch herolab but instead just shows you the portfolio contents.

The way I manage it is I place all my assets (images, herolab portfolios etc) into a dropbox folder that is shared between osX and windoze.

i launch realmworks from Parallels and use it as if it was a mac applicagtion (thanks parallels' coherence view) for the most part.

this allows me to use other mac applications along side realmworks without having to boot into windows.

I do the same when authoring/ entering content into realmworks (the shared dropbox folder makes this a snap, otherwise i'd have to copy all those assets from mac os onto my windoze partition for realmworks to access it).
adzling is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 19th, 2016, 03:51 PM
Quote:
It doesn't open up herolab but rather seems to embed the contents of the herolab file into the snippet in realmworks.

so when you click on the snipped it doesn't launch herolab but instead just shows you the portfolio contents.
Are you saying this is how it works on a Mac system? Cause in windows the .por files I have saved in RW cause HL to open right up. In matter of fact the one option is to open a new HL instance or inject into the already running instance of HL.

You can open just the statblock but you don't have too...

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 19th, 2016, 03:57 PM
What @ShadowChemosh said.

You can open the portfolio internally within RW and view the statblock therein.

OR you can send the portfolio directly to HL, which loads it up fully so you can instantly run the encounter within HL.

If you run RW under Parallels and HL under OSX, you don't get that integration.

To address the original question posed, Mono was our roadmap for a native OSX version of RW. Without Mono as an option, we have no current strategy for creating a native OSX version. The web-based version is envisioned as a platform-neutral solution that would cover OSX, iOS, Android, and everything else.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
NeoEvaX

Old October 19th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Thanks for jumping in rob.

The setup you described is the reason I have Hero Lab also on my Parallels. it would be nice to be able to open HL from RW on Parallels, but they don't quite cross.

All I can do is continue to support this product and put a bit of pressure to show what I would love to see in the future. ie: both products working Mac natively
NeoEvaX is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old October 20th, 2016, 10:53 AM
when i click on the .POR file entry in Realmworks it opens a snippet that shows the entire Herolab Portfolio including all characters, associated images and their stat blocks, gear etc.
It is similar to viewing a character sheet in that the info is static, not dynamic as when viewed within herolab.

What it does not do is launch Herolab OR present a live view of the portfolio.
adzling is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old October 20th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Quote:
when i click on the .POR file entry in Realmworks it opens a snippet that shows the entire Herolab Portfolio including all characters, associated images and their stat blocks, gear etc.
It is similar to viewing a character sheet in that the info is static, not dynamic as when viewed within herolab.

What it does not do is launch Herolab OR present a live view of the portfolio.
If you are not in edit mode, just viewing the topic, there are two buttons: one, a "play" button to display the contents, and the second, a "shuffle" symbol button to add the contents of the portfolio into an already-running instance of HeroLab.

If you are in edit mode, there are two additional buttons: third, a cross with a red "x" to delete the HeroLab content in the snippet, and fourth, a cross with a "pencil" to edit the HeroLab content (which launches HeroLab to do the editing).

Clicking directly on the HeroLab symbol does the same as clicking on the "play" button.. it displays the content of the portfolio.

At least, this is what is on Windows with HeroLab installed.

Do you see something else?

Last edited by Silveras; October 20th, 2016 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Added content about clicking the HeroLab symbol.
Silveras is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
adzling

Old October 20th, 2016, 02:56 PM
in my setup both the "play" button and icon do the same thing (display the portfolio within realmworks).

The other buttons you note are not present, I presume due to the factors Rob notes above.
adzling is offline   #20 Reply With Quote