Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

lifer4700

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:12 PM
I didn't want to bloat out and derail a good thread that is already in use, so I'm posting this as a separate thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarkelf007 View Post
Objects have single inheritance so it can't belong to more than one parent (multiple inheritance while cool is beyond the scope of this program) so it can have only one container.
I was afraid of this.

I began to discover that the topics were more like files in folders of an OS - rather than objects in a database with relations between them.

I was hoping that I was wrong, and just missing something, but I guess that's just the way it is.

For nearly everything I'm creating this isn't an issue, but when it comes to adding my Mechanics articles, I'm finding this a bit of a limitation.

In the game system I'm using, for example, I can have Nunchaku. It's a Blunt weapon, but it's also part of the Flails group, while at the same time being a 1-Handed Melee weapon.

A Long Sword is also a 1-Handed Melee weapon, but it's an Edged weapon that's part of the Swords group.

Yes, I could simply apply tags for everything, and that would make it easy to filter, as tags do.

But I also want relations, because when I look at a Feat that gives a Trick that only works with Swords, I want links to the weapons in the Swords group to appear on the right. If I were to look at a Nunchaku, I want to see a list of Feats, Tricks, Stances, and other Abilities that enhance their use.

Doing so would require multiple parents.

Unless - of course - I'm missing something.
lifer4700 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 8th, 2014, 11:54 PM
Relationships would help with these too, rather than just tags.

So Nunchaku "is a member of" blunt weapons. (I'm not sure if that specific relationship type exists.)
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Mystic Lemur

Old April 9th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Between Relationships and Tags you should be good to go. A topic can only have one container, so in that respect it is like managing files in a folder. Relationships and Tags are how you add Secondary Keys to your data, relating the topic to other datasets.

Maybe if there were a way to click a link and have Realm Works apply a filter to your data and only show the applicable topics?
Mystic Lemur is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old April 9th, 2014, 05:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Relationships would help with these too, rather than just tags.
Yes, this is what I want.

Quote:
So Nunchaku "is a member of" blunt weapons. (I'm not sure if that specific relationship type exists.)
And it "is a member of" flail weapons.

And it "is a member of" 1-hand melee weapons.

I tried building a tree structure where "Flails" was contained in "Blunt", but I ran into problems when sorting out the 1- and 2-handedness. That's when I deleted all the "container" articles and went with strictly Tags, but I lost all the link functionality...

That's why I'm here.

I'm hoping this isn't a unique issue - where something ideally needs to be contained in multiple containers - and someone has a solution or suggestion.
lifer4700 is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 9th, 2014, 08:38 AM
Relationships can be added using the "+" next to Relationships in the right panel of a topic.

Maybe "simple connection to" will have to do for the moment?
Or "Belongs To or Within"?
Farling is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old April 9th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifer4700 View Post
I tried building a tree structure where "Flails" was contained in "Blunt", but I ran into problems when sorting out the 1- and 2-handedness. That's when I deleted all the "container" articles and went with strictly Tags, but I lost all the link functionality...
In a similar situation I would include the "Flails" inside the Topic, so it show's on the right hand side.

Sleet was enjoying a tasty beverage at his local tavern, when a Tarrasque showed up in the local area. He managed to valiantly get on it's back and ride it. How he did it is a mystery to this day...

RW: Engine Heart, I Love The Corps! Home Brew: Star Gate: Avalon, Monda Minutia. I'm good with: OpenOffice, Paint, Lego Digital Designer. & not so good with: Realm Works, Hero Lab, CC3+, GIMP, Cityographer, Hexographer, Fractal Mapper, AstroSynth, Inspiration Pad Pro. RW Kickstarter Supporter.
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
lifer4700

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Relationships can be added using the "+" next to Relationships in the right panel of a topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod Beebledoc View Post
In a similar situation I would include the "Flails" inside the Topic, so it show's on the right hand side.

And this is basically what I've done for now.

I've added a single snippet line that contains the text that triggers the relationship. I could create the relationships manually, I suppose, but I chose to do it this way.

I would hate to change my mind after entering lots of data.
lifer4700 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote