Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Maidhc O Casain

Old January 12th, 2023, 02:47 PM
I first noticed this on a very complicated character I'm making and wasn't sure if it was something else interfering with it. So I made a simpler one to see what might be up:

Create a 3rd level fighter (13 Dex, 12 Str)
Add Deadly Aim/Exceptional Pull as feats
Add a Composite Longbow with a +1 STR rating

The weapon damage for the bow still reads 1d6+1. The feat doesn't have to be activated, and turning Deadly Aim on/off doesn't make a difference (as it shouldn't, but I thought I'd check). I don't see anything in the wording of the feat that might change conditionally in the game - a class is either proficient or not, and the bow either has a strength rating or it doesn't.

Is there something I'm missing? Or is this feat not implemented?

(I also submitted a bug report, but it's possible it's not a bug and someone here might know what I'm doing wrong).
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Lord Magus

Old January 12th, 2023, 07:26 PM
The feat is implemented, but seems to give its increased damage bonus up to a maximum equal to the character's Str bonus. So, with your character'S STR of 13, it caps at +1. Create a character with 16 STR and a comp bow +2, it'll get damage up to +3.
Lord Magus is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 13th, 2023, 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidhc O Casain View Post
Is there something I'm missing? Or is this feat not implemented?
Expanding on what Lord Magus said: Composite Longbows let you add your Strength bonus to your damage, up to the limit of the bow. You don't automatically get their rating in damage. Thus increasing their rating (via the Exceptional Pull feat) without increasing your Strength doesn't give you anything. Your example character only has +1 Strength, so they only get +1 damage.

There's a reason why the world is full of adaptive Composite (Str 0) bows. :)

Parody is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old January 13th, 2023, 06:19 AM
And another example of a poorly worded feat. The feat says, "Add 2 to the weapon's strength rating." This makes it sound like the weapon performs better than it's made to. It should just say, "You can use a weapon with a Strength rating 2 points higher than your strength modifier without penalty."

Thanks for helping me grok.

Last edited by Maidhc O Casain; January 13th, 2023 at 06:21 AM.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote