Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion

Notices

Aril

Old September 3rd, 2020, 01:16 PM
I've done a bunch of editing on Hero Lab on my laptop, and I don't want to lose the data. However, it's dying, and I need to migrate the files to an installation on my desktop before the laptop kicks the bucket.

I can't figure out *where* the files that contain all the stuff I built in the Editor actually are located. How can I move them, so I don't lose that information?
Aril is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 3rd, 2020, 01:50 PM
Within Hero Lab, choose Tools...Explore Folders...Game System Data Folder - that will open the file explorer to the right folder. The files created in the editor have the extension .user.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 3rd, 2020, 08:30 PM
Deleted.

Last edited by Aril; September 3rd, 2020 at 09:12 PM.
Aril is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 3rd, 2020, 08:45 PM
I've done some experimenting, and though the duplicate files appear in most cases to be the same, if I go into Hero Lab and try to open one of them, I get a message that says:

"Warning!

This file is not present in the folder for the active game system. You may view the contents of the file, but not modify it.".

When I go to the *second* file, I don't get that error.
Aril is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 3rd, 2020, 08:49 PM
The one file in which I've put the most stuff is one of the ones listed as not being in the directory.

So it appears I can't edit it?
Aril is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 3rd, 2020, 09:11 PM
Ok, so I've got the files moved over.

I've restarted Hero Lab, and it's not generating errors. It originally did, so I edited the problems it identified, and now it's loading correctly.

However, when I try to start Hero Lab and then create a character using the custom options from the files I just put in that folder, I can't find any of the options.

Looks like the files are there, but Hero Lab isn't using them? Have I left out a step?
Aril is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Dami

Old September 3rd, 2020, 10:53 PM
Make sure that you put the files in the right game SYSTEM directory (eg: d20, Pathfinder) and when you open a character you might want to check Hero Options (Cnt-K) - you may need to set these again, since its a different computer.

Current RPG's: Pathfinder (GM), Pathfinder (Player), Gamma World (GM, Pathfinder homebrew).
HeroLab: 3.5 & Pathfinder. HL User Files for PF: Greyhawk Setting, Gamma World (WIP).

DM and player of D&D since 1980.
Dami is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 4th, 2020, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dami View Post
Make sure that you put the files in the right game SYSTEM directory (eg: d20, Pathfinder) and when you open a character you might want to check Hero Options (Cnt-K) - you may need to set these again, since its a different computer.
Thank you! That did it. I'd completely forgotten that I had identified each item I added by putting in the name of the book I got the rule from. I had to click on those books as sources, and as soon as I did, the stuff from my user files appeared.
Aril is offline   #8 Reply With Quote