Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Farling

Old August 18th, 2021, 08:57 AM
Hello Pathfinde 1E HLC community,

I have a Foundry VTT module called "Realm Works Importer".

One of the side-effects of the work required for this module is that it also allows you to import your .por files directly into Foundry VTT, creating an Actor for each character in the HL portfolio file.

Find out more at https://forums.wolflair.com/showthread.php?t=65924

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is online now   #1 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old August 27th, 2021, 10:04 AM
You serious? That would save us soooooo much time.

I (the DM) has been creating characters in Hero Lab, and then I've exported them to PDF and sent to my players....and then they have to recode them from scratch in Foundry.

This also creates problems when I'm setting up monsters, encounters etc. as I build all my encounters in Hero Lab.

If you've got this working, it would be a lifesaver!

I don't have RealmWorks though. I was going to buy it, and then Lone Wolf announced they were axing development so I shelved the idea.
Aril is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old August 30th, 2021, 01:50 PM
Yes, you can load the .por files directly. It will try to populate everything automatically for PF1, but each sheet would need checking for errors/omissions.

If there are any discrepancies, listing them here and I'll see if it is something that is simple to fix.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Farling is online now   #3 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 3rd, 2021, 12:17 PM
So, I set up the module. I went into "Manage Modules" and in there, I guess I had to set up a folder for the RealmWorks files to go into.

So I set up the folder.

Then I go to "Compendium Packs" in the menu at the top, and I see a button for "Realm Works Import".

I clicked on that, and got a pop up to import RWoutput file.

I clicked "Choose File" and navigated to my .por files and picked a character.

I picked "Folder Name" and typed in "Realm Works".

I then clicked "Import File" and a little box at the bottom reads "Reading Franz Stenzl.por".

But nothing happens. I just left it for 40 minutes, came back, and it still has the same message.

I checked the Actors Directory, and it shows the "Realm Works" tab.....but there's nothing *in* that tab. I can't open it.....which is usually what happens if there are no entries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Foundry problemSep 3.jpg (266.1 KB, 2 views)
Aril is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 3rd, 2021, 12:42 PM
OK, it appears that it's just one .por record that was the problem.

I've just been successfully able to upload two.

I've found some little glitches. Like.....the character's weapon attacks are missing.

And the character has bonuses from feats and such that don't end up getting added. Some of these feats are ones from supplements I needed to code into Hero Lab manually.

Would I be correct to assume that the reason those bonuses don't appear is that if I added something manually to Hero Lab, when I import the record into Foundry, that "thing" is only recognized and dealt with appropriately if someone has already added that feat/ability/racial trait to Foundry. And since they haven't, I just get the text explaining what it does (since Hero Lab has that), but it's not adding the bonuses?
Aril is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 3rd, 2021, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aril View Post
OK, it appears that it's just one .por record that was the problem.

I've just been successfully able to upload two.

I've found some little glitches. Like.....the character's weapon attacks are missing.

And the character has bonuses from feats and such that don't end up getting added. Some of these feats are ones from supplements I needed to code into Hero Lab manually.

Would I be correct to assume that the reason those bonuses don't appear is that if I added something manually to Hero Lab, when I import the record into Foundry, that "thing" is only recognized and dealt with appropriately if someone has already added that feat/ability/racial trait to Foundry. And since they haven't, I just get the text explaining what it does (since Hero Lab has that), but it's not adding the bonuses?
You would be correct. The behaviour of the thing is not stored in the .por file, so you would have to also create the thing separately in Foundry VTT with the correct rules.

With Foundry VTT, when I manually drag a weapon from the compendium onto a character sheet it does not add the attacks to the Combat tab. Oh... it appears that a player has to do the following:
1 - click on the Edit button of the weapon in the Inventory tab.
2 - click on the Details tab of the opened item window.
3 - click on the "Create Attack" button.
Only after these 3 actions are performed will an entry appear in the Combat tab of the character sheet.
This looks like the PF1 system authors aren't automating this, unlike most other game systems.

I have a solution that I'm testing for this.

Farling

Last edited by Farling; September 3rd, 2021 at 04:30 PM.
Farling is online now   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 3rd, 2021, 02:45 PM
Oops, I missed your earlier message.

If it seems that the process has hung, then press F12 and look in the console of your browser for any warnings or errors which might be reported.

Farling

Farling is online now   #7 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 4th, 2021, 01:41 AM
Hi Aril, check out version 0.6.0 which contains three improvements for PF1 portfolio decoding:

Attempt to automatically populate the Combat tab of Actors from all the weapons in their inventory.
Detect "masterwork" and "+X") weapons and armour (doesn't work if the item name has other weapon properties in it).

Farling

Farling is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
Aril

Old September 5th, 2021, 08:48 PM
I just updated it. I'll re-test.
Aril is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
zipwhaa

Old November 29th, 2021, 01:07 PM
Hi Farling. The importer is amazing. Thank you. I just started working with Foundry and had the importer working wonderfully. Then I borked everything up and am doing a fresh install of Foundry and now the importer isn't making my actors anymore. And for the life of me I can't find the folder I'm dropping them into anymore. I'm on a Mac which makes it that much more fun to find things. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting again? Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
zipwhaa is offline   #10 Reply With Quote