Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Dervish

Old November 26th, 2014, 12:10 PM
How much storage space are we getting?
Dervish is offline   #21 Reply With Quote
meek75

Old November 26th, 2014, 04:15 PM
For me its going to be all about features that are available. If I had to choose today I would not pay for cloud service. My group is not using the player edition and has no plans to do so in the near future. Most of the group just don't want a bunch of laptops at the table and don't think they would use it much between games. When the web version is working, assuming it will work on a tablets, we will talk about it again. Bottom line, player edition is just not a big deal for our group. The big draw for me will probably be marketplace. If that is up an running (and has good content) I would gladly pay the $40 a year for it.
meek75 is offline   #22 Reply With Quote
Kilgs

Old November 26th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liz View Post
@Kilgs, there won't be a monthly option. The payment options right now are $24.99 for 6 months, or $39.99 for one year.
Nice. Those are reasonable prices... unfortunately for me, RW isn't worth it at this point. I'm not putting in X hours of inputting data when I can't use it in the fashion I want. Shame--because it has everything else I want in this type of a program.

Almost 30 years ago, I had an Apple IIe and Bank Street Writer. It could print.
Kilgs is offline   #23 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgs View Post
Almost 30 years ago, I had an Apple IIe and Bank Street Writer. It could print.
Nowadays people like to think of the paperless office, displaying things on screens instead of cutting down trees.
Farling is offline   #24 Reply With Quote
Acenoid

Old November 26th, 2014, 11:35 PM
In another post I understood that the community market is available without cloud. Unless I misunderstood the post. I'll look it up after work.
Acenoid is offline   #25 Reply With Quote
Kairos
Volunteer Data File Author

Old November 27th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
Nowadays people like to think of the paperless office, displaying things on screens instead of cutting down trees.
I think the core concern is common for any database system: can I access in meaningful ways the data I input? My core interest has been the web-based player view and cloud access, which is why I KSed at lifetime cloud access level. I do a lot of play by post, and that would have been nice to have.

So that's been a disappointment as three months (IIRC) is now approaching two years. Player Edition is ok, but its not really as workable as web based cloud access solution for my purposes. I've been using screenshots via Dropbox to share material with players. Not ideal, and not something I need RW to do.

I think a lot of the "PR" problems with RW, if you care to characterize them as such, was that the cloud functionality was oversold and under delivered. Then, after launch, the cloud functionality garnered a lot of (unfair IMO) criticism in the abstract because there wasn't much in the actual.

That being said, I'm still here and I'm still supportive of the project, but the concerns about output capabilities are quite valid. For example, I don't want to print to paper, but printing to a pdf would be useful, even if it were just a topic at a time, or even especially. Because right now, I'm using Snagit for output, and it's kind of not awesome.

Authoring Kit Rule Sets (now with functioning links!):

Qin: The Warring States

Doctor Who: Adventures in Time and Space

MEGS/BoH/DC Heroes (work in progress)

Last edited by Kairos; November 27th, 2014 at 05:46 AM.
Kairos is offline   #26 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old November 27th, 2014, 06:56 AM
Once upon a time, I had a temp job where I was asked to index the files for a business that had been in place since 1913. The drawer for the first year had only a few aged pieces of paper. The next not many more. As the years went on, the paper began to quadruple each time we had a new technology.

The intent was to digitize everything and get rid of it. Everything was going to be paperles Real Soon Now(TM). That was over 20 years ago.... And over the years, PDF's have taken over as the digital format of choice over TIFs and GIFs and TGAs and BMPs and and and.... Powerpoint has replaced the slide carousels. And we print PDFs and Powerpoint presentations by the ream.... The only thing we've accomplished is to become more considerably more efficient at printing.

Oh, and we have added recycle bins beside waste cans. That makes it all better.
AEIOU is offline   #27 Reply With Quote