Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Anpumes

Old April 17th, 2014, 09:47 AM
I've got down the #appenddesc script for adding text to a thing. I've searched for a while now and in doing so, I've read a decent number of posts but I cannot find any sign of a script that would allow for the overwriting of a things text, altogether. If there is, I have had zero luck finding it.

Last edited by Anpumes; April 17th, 2014 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Fixed grammar...
Anpumes is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 17th, 2014, 09:59 AM
What are you trying to accomplish? I've found very few cases where the text of an ability changes, but nothing else about the ability changes. Normally, if the text is entirely changed, all the scripts and special settings will change too. At that point, it's usually easier to just hide the old version and have an entirely new thing appear.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I can see people wanting to change race descriptions and so on, or names.

Code:
~Rename the Dwarf race to "Dorf"
perform state.thing[rDwarf].amendthing[name,"Dorf"]

~Overwrite the Dwarf race's description
perform state.thing[rDwarf].amendthing[description,"Dorfz iz da besht!"]
Aaron is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Anpumes

Old April 17th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I'm making a variation of the Fuse Style ability taken from the Master of Many Styles monk archetype. Given the script of how this ability is calculated, I should be able to use it as is, with the exception of altering following ability description (This is taken directly from the Fuse Style Class Special):
Quote:
At 1st level, a master of many styles can fuse two of the styles he knows into a more perfect style. The master of many styles can have two style feat stances active at once. Starting a stance provided by a style feat is still a swift action, but when the master of many styles switches to another style feat, he can choose one style whose stance is already active to persist. He may only have two style feat stances active at a time.

At 8th level, the master of many styles can fuse three styles at once. He can have the stances of three style feats active at the same time. Furthermore, he can enter up to three stances as a swift action.

At 15th level, the master of many styles can fuse four styles at once. He can have the stances of four style feats active at the same time. Furthermore, he can enter up to four stances as a free action by spending 1 point from his {i}ki{/i} pool. This ability replaces flurry of blows.

At 20th level, a master of many styles can have the stances of five style feats active at once, and can change those stances as a free action. This ability replaces perfect self.
The variation I'm working on, I would like to have it read as follows:
Quote:
At 3rd level, an Unbound begins to grasp the natural world in a way that few can and begins to adapt her fighting styles in dynamic ways. The Unbound may now merge two of the styles she knows into a single more superlative style. The Unbound can have two style feat stances active at once. Starting a stance provided by a style feat is still a swift action, but when the Unbound switches to another style feat, she may choose one style whose stance is already active to persist. She may only have two style feat stances active at a time.

At 12th level, an Unbound gains an additional understanding of the natural world and may now merge three styles at once. She may have the stances of three style feats active at the same time. Furthermore, she can enter up to three stances as a free action by spending 1 point from her ki pool.
This ability replaces Maneuver Training and Abundant Step class features.
Anpumes is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Anpumes

Old April 17th, 2014, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
I can see people wanting to change race descriptions and so on, or names.

Code:
~Rename the Dwarf race to "Dorf"
perform state.thing[rDwarf].amendthing[name,"Dorf"]

~Overwrite the Dwarf race's description
perform state.thing[rDwarf].amendthing[description,"Dorfz iz da besht!"]
Too funny Aaron.
Thank you that should do the trick. I'll certainly give it a shot.
Anpumes is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Anpumes

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Both of those worked fantastically, thank you very much for that code.

Now I'm wondering what other things amendthing can adjust. I'd like to be able to adjust the "Summary Text" but I've yet to find what might effect that, if anything.

***EDIT***
On a whim, I checked the authoring wiki and it seems amendthing only targets "name" and "description." That is unfortunate but certainly understandable... Should I offer this as a possible requested feature, assuming it hasn't already been submitted...

Last edited by Anpumes; April 17th, 2014 at 11:37 AM. Reason: More info added...
Anpumes is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 17th, 2014, 11:37 AM
You don't need amendthing to overwrite summary text for class special abilities, just change the abSumm text field at a late priority (I'd do it at Render 20000)
Aaron is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old April 17th, 2014, 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
You don't need amendthing to overwrite summary text for class special abilities, just change the abSumm text field at a late priority (I'd do it at Render 20000)
Just a note that you will only see the change on the "Special" tab or on the printed statblock. If you change a class special Thing abSumm text you won't see it on the "Class" tab.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Anpumes

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Just a note that you will only see the change on the "Special" tab or on the printed statblock. If you change a class special Thing abSumm text you won't see it on the "Class" tab.
I was just seeing this, came across it by accident and was trying to figure it out. Good timing and thank you for saving me from too much difficulty trying to figure it out. A shot in the dark but is there a way to overcome that without copying the ability, or is this expected behavior?

As an aside, I was quite surprised that the amendthing had to run at First; 500, while the abSumm thing had run at Render; 20000.
Anpumes is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old April 17th, 2014, 01:30 PM
I didn't think amendthing has a timing restriction, but the reason I recommend changing abSumm that late is because many abilities set their livename, sbName, and abSumm fields at Render 10000. That's also the "standard" timing I recommend situationals to run at. Of course, I am not the only guy doing the data entry, and especially some of the older stuff may set those things earlier.
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote