Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Ryan F
Lone Wolf Staff

Old June 6th, 2018, 08:23 AM
Hi there Valyar,

Ryan here, it sounds like you're treading in somewhat unknown waters from what I can tell and I was wondering while you're at it if you'd like the opportunity to catch new BUGs that pertain to the environment should they emerge.

If it's not too much trouble I'd suggest running DbgView whenever possible in this environment to help generate a log file for any errors or strange interactions that may occur as we are uncertain what the long term stability looks like with this kind of installation with the Junction Points.

I suspect you may already have a copy of the latest DbgView but if not you can find one at the following URL.
(https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/.../bb896647.aspx)
Once you want to login, sync, and work on the realms, run DbgView and if any error occurs, select "File -> Save As..." in DbgView to save the log.

You can send any support requests along with the log files and other relevant details to our general purpose support email address you'll see in my signature.

--
Ryan Furnas
Lone Wolf Development Support - support@wolflair.com
http://www.wolflair.com
Ryan F is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old June 6th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Hello Ryan,

Sure thing, I will be capturing the log file while I am using Realm Works on the machine where I did the redirection. So far it works fine, I did export/import, restore and backup operations without any problems. Lets see what the debug will tell.

The past is a rudder to guide us, not an anchor to hold us back.
Valyar is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old August 15th, 2018, 06:45 AM
Since June I completely redirected all RW folders from the system drive to another drive (can be done also to another partition if you have one drive) via the junction points approach. I also added the scratch directory where the sync files are kept and now RW is completely running off another drive. I performed all operations (backup/restore/full sync/export/import) plus heavy usage on the SSD equipped laptop.

Using Junction point you can also prepare the filesystem in advance before installing RW to ensure nothing is to be moved after. I tested this as well.

So, if you want to relocate something from RW to another place, this is viable and tested in time solution. Unless LWD provide a way to move things from the %app% directory, like Fantasy Grounds.

Valyar is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 15th, 2018, 08:00 AM
No update since June. the problems people had with this were with updates. Don't declare that this works until an update gets pushed out.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old August 16th, 2018, 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
No update since June. the problems people had with this were with updates. Don't declare that this works until an update gets pushed out.
The file system operations are transparent for RW, this software is not Oracle RAC with ASM. An update can introduce new locations on the file system or re-arrange the existing, which is not a problem. Updated binaries are not a problem as well.

Unless they need raw disk access or introduce a filter driver for the filesystem for no obvious reason, this works and will work just fine.

Valyar is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old August 16th, 2018, 02:19 AM
I'm just telling you that others had problems. I hadn't thought they would either.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Valyar

Old December 1st, 2018, 12:19 AM
OK, small update on the experiment with the junctions. With the beta there are no issues as expected, because no data paths are changed. In-place update was fine and all works normally.

Looking forward to the next update to see how it goes.

Valyar is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 14th, 2020, 02:21 AM
Sorry for the thread necro, but I was searching for a solution to move the Realms database to a different drive/partition. I just moved

C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works

to

D:\LWD Technology, Inc\Realm Works

Then I opened a command line in "C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming" and used the following command to create the Junction point:

mklink /j "LWD Technology, Inc" "D:\LWD Technology, Inc"

Window will respond with:

Junction created for LWD Technology, Inc <<===>> D:\LWD Technology, Inc

I've had no issues opening the database and all prior settings and preferences are retained and working.

Database backups and compressing databases works.

In short, I've not come across any issues whatsoever.

I looked at the two threads that Valyar found (none of the naysayers bothered to post a link or describe what issues would be caused by this approach). The first describes someone using the junction point as describe in this thread with no issues mentioned, so it supports this approach. The second just discusses moving backup location. Which is a different issue and you can already set your backup location.

Anyway, follow this advice at your own risk, but junction points seem to work just fine.

RW Project: Dungeons & Dragons 5th edition homebrew world
Other Tools: CampaignCartographer, Cityographer, Dungeonographer, Evernote
MNBlockHead is offline   #18 Reply With Quote