Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - D&D 5th Edition SRD

Notices

Fenris447

Old January 29th, 2022, 07:08 PM
Just to update everyone, the revised races from MP:MotM are done. I'm very happy with how they turned out, and I'm really excited to get them into everyone's hands!

One interesting thing; there's no such thing as subraces in this book. Each Genasi, the two types of Gith, Duergar, Deep Gnomes, Shadar-Kai, Sea Elves, and Eladrin all are treated as their own separate races.

I split how I approached these; for the Gith and Genasi, the book contains all published subraces for them. So I felt comfortable making them with a base Gith and base Genasi, and treating their variations as subraces (this is how their older versions operate in the Community Pack).

But for the elven subraces, the Duergar, and the Deep Gnome, I realized we have no way of being certain what the base elf, dwarf, and gnome will look like when they're revised in 2024. So I programmed them as separate races each. Obviously the base races and their other subraces aren't going anywhere. So now when you select the base Dwarf while you have this new source active, you won't see Duergar in the list of subraces. It'll instead be its own race.

If the revised races come out in 2 years and it makes sense to turn these things back into subraces, I'll do that. But that's Future Fenris's problem. Screw that guy.

EDIT: Also, one extra thing I did; I tried to set everything up so that whenever it makes sense, racial abilities will show up when outputting the hero as a stat block. In case you're into that sort of thing.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!

Last edited by Fenris447; January 29th, 2022 at 07:16 PM.
Fenris447 is offline   #951 Reply With Quote
TremorAcePV

Old February 2nd, 2022, 07:03 PM
Thank you for all the effort you put in Fenris!

I'm having an issue with Tasha's Sorcerer Variant spells.

When I hover the feature, it doesn't list:
Quote:
2nd-level: Magic Weapon
5th-level: Bigby's Hand (Arcane Hand)
6th-level: Otiluke's Freezing Sphere (Freezing Sphere)
And I don't find those added to my spell list to be chosen as a Divine Soul Sorcerer either.

Looking at the commit on github, I see that the description and entry is different, listing the missing spells.

For example, the commit has the description for the variant feature mentioning Freezing Sphere, but the description I have doesn't. The version I have of the 5e Community Pack is from 10 January 2022 and have tried to update it.

The code itself says:
Quote:
<tag group="ClsAllowSp" tag="spArcaHand"/>
<tag group="ClsAllowSp" tag="spMagiWeap"/>
<tag group="ClsAllowSp" tag="spFreeSphe"/>
So I'm unsure why it's not giving me access given the latest release was on January 3rd.

Last edited by TremorAcePV; February 2nd, 2022 at 10:00 PM.
TremorAcePV is offline   #952 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 3rd, 2022, 11:57 AM
My best guess is that you're confusing the UA version of the variant features from the official Tasha's. I just now tested the Tasha's stuff and it lists those spells and correctly adds them. If you're adding an adjustment called Class Feature Variants: Sorcerer, you're doing the UA version, not the Tasha's one.

The Tasha's version can be found by going to your Configure Hero Screen (ctrl+k), scrolling down to Optional Rules, and checking "Always Show Tasha's Variants Tab." Once that's checked, you'll see that tab where you can add the official versions.

I'm going to add some text to clarify those Adjustments are the old UA versions, not the official ones. I can see how it'd be confusing. I also highly recommend only selecting sources on your Configure Hero screen that you know you need, as you'll end up with a ton of copies between UA and official versions of things.

Found an issue with or have a suggestion for the 5e Community Pack? Please post it here at our GitHub.

Feel free to stop by the Lone Wolf Development Subreddit, for discussion of any and all LWD products and community efforts!
Fenris447 is offline   #953 Reply With Quote
Renzeqq

Old February 6th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Hi there, we've been using the Hero Lab app for awhile now and love it. We backed the kickstarter for Humblewood when it was up and we've been playing a campaign for awhile. We've really missed being able to use the Hero Lab program to create and maintain our characters.

Is anyone working on a Humblewood segment for the community pack?

I've been looking to do it myself, but I have no clue where to begin.
Renzeqq is offline   #954 Reply With Quote
TremorAcePV

Old February 6th, 2022, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
My best guess is that you're confusing the UA version of the variant features from the official Tasha's. I just now tested the Tasha's stuff and it lists those spells and correctly adds them. If you're adding an adjustment called Class Feature Variants: Sorcerer, you're doing the UA version, not the Tasha's one.

The Tasha's version can be found by going to your Configure Hero Screen (ctrl+k), scrolling down to Optional Rules, and checking "Always Show Tasha's Variants Tab." Once that's checked, you'll see that tab where you can add the official versions.

I'm going to add some text to clarify those Adjustments are the old UA versions, not the official ones. I can see how it'd be confusing. I also highly recommend only selecting sources on your Configure Hero screen that you know you need, as you'll end up with a ton of copies between UA and official versions of things.
That was indeed the answer. Thank you!
TremorAcePV is offline   #955 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 12th, 2022, 08:04 PM
After a few weeks of non-stop work, I'm finally in the home stretch on all of the Monsters of the Multiverse monsters. It was waaay more work than I expected, as practically every single monster was changed, and in much more significant ways than a number here or some text there. And because consensus was to keep the existing versions and add these as new ones, well... I basically just redid VGM and MTOF. A good 50% of all their abilities had to be remade, to preserve the old, different versions.

Once released, the new monsters will be in the Encounter Builder, with names like "Wood Woad (Revised)". On top of that, I've improved on a few things.

Variants, like the various types of guard drakes, fiends that can summon other fiends, and creatures with higher CRs while in their Lairs, will now all be picked from the Variant features menu on each monster. So if you want a green grung, select "Grung (Revised) from the Encounter Builder, click "Add optional Variant Traits" from the Race tab, and select "Green". Any time the book shows an optional variant trait, that's where you'll find it in Hero Lab. Note that I did not retroactively change this for previous books. As nice as that would be to have, it's just way too much work for little benefit.

This cuts down on the already huge list we have in the Encounter Builder, cuts down on data size, and makes more sense considering that's what variant options are for.

Once I wrap up this stuff, I'll move into working on some Items. Basically I'll do as much as I can stand for a few weeks, release what's done, and try to give myself a bit of a break before Call of the Netherdeep hits in March.

Fenris447 is offline   #956 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old February 14th, 2022, 08:05 AM
I am being really dim about this, but how do I download the files to add this to HL? It's been so long since I did it, I can't remember what to do.

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #957 Reply With Quote
Fenris447

Old February 14th, 2022, 08:17 AM
Your answer is on the first post of this thread

Fenris447 is offline   #958 Reply With Quote
Lexin

Send a message via Skype™ to Lexin

Old February 14th, 2022, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris447 View Post
Your answer is on the first post of this thread
Should have gone further back...

--
Lexin

GM from Gwynedd, Wales - seriously old school - playing RPGs since 1980!

Tools: Realm Works, HeroLab, Campaign Cartographer 3+
Lexin is offline   #959 Reply With Quote
ShadowRose

Old February 14th, 2022, 07:44 PM
It seems that the Quandrix Student background is providing the cantrip options for Lorehold. Is anyone else seeing the same thing?
ShadowRose is offline   #960 Reply With Quote