Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

charlieluce

Old March 9th, 2015, 04:34 PM
We're about to start a new campaign that uses Psionics, so of course three of the five players are running Psis and despite my very limited experience in the Pathfinder editor I am trying to add things from UP that they need and aren't in the 3PP yet. The Fighter's Blade Feat went OK, but now I am trying to add the Meditant Archetype for Psychic Warrior and I have gotten stuck on the first Class Special, Psionic Armor.

Since it works very similarly to the Monk's armor bonus ability, I was hoping I could start with that as a base, but it isn't working as smoothly as I hoped.

First off, while it's adding the Wisdom Bonus fine, I can't find where it calculates the additional bonus due to levels.

Second, it's only supposed to work while the character has Psionic Focus, and I'm not sure where I'm supposed to put that, either. There's a Usage Period option called "Focus" but that doesn't seem to be it.

Third and minor, if I put it on a character with a +2 Wisdom Bonus it says "Psionic Armor +2 (Ex)" in the Special Ability tab (it is considered an Extraordinary Ability, isn't it?) but if you bring up the Special Abilities info window in the Psychic Warrior tab it says "Psionic Armor +0". I assume this is a timing issue?

Could someone more experienced point me in the right direction, please?

Currently Running: Pathfinder Second Edition
Currently Playing:
Pathfinder First Edition, Star Trek Adventures
Former HL Games: D&D 4e & 5e, Mutants & Masterminds 2E & 3E, Savage Worlds
charlieluce is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 9th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Can you post rh scripts please. Hard to help when we can't see what you did.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 9th, 2015, 05:47 PM
After reading this ability why not just bootstrap the monk class ability? Then on the archetype set a script that checks for Psi Focus and disables the class special if not in Focus.

Easy and should prevent the stacking between the monk and this archetype.

Hero Lab Resources:
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 9th, 2015, 08:44 PM
Shadow, could you not check for psi-focus on the bootstrap condition?
Quintain is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 9th, 2015, 08:49 PM
Well, I did find the part about testing for Psionic Focus.

Anyway, this is the relevant part of the .user file I'm working on, I think:
Code:
</thing><thing id="cPsiArmor" name="Psionic Armor" description="A meditant who maintains psionic focus and is unarmored and unencumbered adds his Wisdom bonus (if any) to his AC and his CMD. If the meditant gains his Wisdom bonus to his AC or CMD from some other source, it does not stack. In addition, a meditant gains a +1 bonus to AC and CMD at 4th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every four meditant levels thereafter, up to a maximum of +5 at 20th level.\n\nThese bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the meditant is flat-footed. He loses these bonuses when he is immobilized or helpless, when he wears any armor, when he carries a shield, when he carries a medium or heavy load, or when he is not focused." compset="ClSpecial" summary="The Meditant adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels."><tag group="abAction" tag="None" name="No action" abbrev="None"/><tag group="abDuration" tag="Constant" name="Constant" abbrev="cons"/><tag group="abRange" tag="Personal" name="Personal" abbrev="pers"/><tag group="AbilType" tag="Extra"/><tag group="LvNameApp" tag="SignAppVal"/><tag group="LvNameApp" tag="AppValue"/><eval phase="PostAttr" priority="10000">~ Start our bonus off as our wisdom bonus + the count of specials, -1
      ~ (because our first instance gives a base of +0)
      field[abValue].value += #attrbonus[aWIS] + field[xCount].value - 1</eval><eval phase="PostAttr" priority="20000" index="2">
      ~ Get our encumbrance level - if we're encumbered by that, or if we're
      ~ wearing armor or a shield, we're disabled.
      if (hero.tagexpr[Hero.EquipArmor | Hero.EquipShld | Encumbered.Medium | Encumbered.Heavy | Encumbered.Overloaded] <> 0) then
        perform assign[Helper.SpcDisable]
        endif

~ only run the rest for the first copy
      doneif (tagis[Helper.FirstCopy] = 0)

~ If we're not shown, just get out now
      doneif (tagis[Helper.ShowSpec] = 0)

~ If we're disabled, do nothing
      doneif (tagis[Helper.SpcDisable] <> 0)

~ If the hero does not have Psionic Focus, do nothing
      doneif (hero.tagis[Hero.PsiFocus] = 0)

~ Apply our AC bonus to all our armor scores
      hero.child[ArmorClass].field[tACWisMod].value += field[abValue].value</eval><eval phase="Render" priority="10000" index="3">
      var bonus as number
      bonus = field[xIndex].value - 1
      field[listname].text = "Psionic Armor " & signed(bonus)</eval></thing>
I tried another version where I bootstrapped the Monk class ability to the Archetype, but I must have done it wrong, because it still didn't increase the bonuses when I added levels of Meditant. Translating the things I read on the forum to the GUI used by the Editor is not going very well for me, I'm afraid.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Quintain

Old March 9th, 2015, 08:52 PM
When you bootstrap the monk ability, you have to do it at each level the monk ac bonus applies, not just at first level.
Quintain is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 9th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
When you bootstrap the monk ability, you have to do it at each level the monk ac bonus applies, not just at first level.
Ah, that was what I was missing! Thank you both!

I kept the version of the Class Special I did rather than just bootstrapping the Monk ability because I wanted it to have the proper text and show up on the Specials Tab (and because the Monk one has an edge case for the Clockwork Monk that I didn't want to take any chances with).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, why is it more efficient to bootstrap an ability six times on the archetype than to have something in the script that divides the class level by 5 and adds that to the bonus?

Currently Playing:

Last edited by charlieluce; March 9th, 2015 at 09:37 PM.
charlieluce is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 10th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
EDIT: Out of curiosity, why is it more efficient to bootstrap an ability six times on the archetype than to have something in the script that divides the class level by 5 and adds that to the bonus?
Look at the class tab for this class - in the Special star at the top right, compare the list of abilities the character will get as they level to the list in the material you're working from. If this class is based on the Monk, I'll bet this looks close to what's in the book you're working with, with the listed AC bonus changing at the correct times.

It's also really handy to have them separate when an archetype says to replace the increase to armor class that a monk gets at 4th level - you can remove only one of them without altering the others.

(It's more common to skip like that for things like fighter's armor training, the various alchemist poison resistances, and a few other things than it is for the monk ac bonuses, but you can see the idea).
Mathias is online now   #8 Reply With Quote
charlieluce

Old March 10th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Cool, thanks for the info! I'm slowly wrapping my head around how it works - my programming skills are a couple of decades out of date so it comes in fits and starts.

Currently Playing:
charlieluce is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh

Old March 10th, 2015, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieluce View Post
I kept the version of the Class Special I did rather than just bootstrapping the Monk ability because I wanted it to have the proper text and show up on the Specials Tab (and because the Monk one has an edge case for the Clockwork Monk that I didn't want to take any chances with).
Just the one issue which is hard to code for of preventing any other "Wis" bonus to AC stacking. Easy to track as a DM though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintain View Post
Shadow, could you not check for psi-focus on the bootstrap condition?
You could but then the "whole" class ability would be removed from the class when not in psi-focus. That seems extreme especially as it would make any Feat or other ability toss errors when it suddenly could not find the ability.

So Disable is better as a person gets information saying they have the ability but don't meet the requirements. Which is actually more true than the whole class ability no longer being "live" on the character.

Hero Lab Resources:
ShadowChemosh is offline   #10 Reply With Quote