Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Shadowrun
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

cndblank

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyde79 View Post
ok, I'm going to chime in here, as a prospective customer...
that's a TERRIBLE answer. if that's a measure requested by specific publishers of specific games, lock their data, in this case, Shadowrun, they release their PDFs faster than their hard copy books, the PDF's are searchable, copy and pasteable, and, in the end, if I'm so inclined, I can take the PDF, and email it to everyone in the world, and while I'm breaking the law, they don't set their books up to stop me from doing so, because they realize, that making it harder on their targeted market to utilize the product as they need for their games, means their market is far less inclined to purchase their product at all.

I'm right there on the threshold with that very idea for this software. using Shadowrun as an example...
To use your software, I have to buy the license ($30) and then buy "additional" data packs/licenses, to use books that I've likely already purchased (otherwise those data packs would be unnecessary, and pointless to purchase because I won't have the rules from the books to distribute amongst my players) so, I'm looking at a total of $95 in add ons, to fully utilize this software, which is another $30, so, I'm going to spend $125 to use this software to manage characters after having spent the following to have the PDF versions of the books:
--break--
I'm supposed to pony up another $125 to have a program that keeps my characters organized, and then it doesn't let me copy and paste my stuff anywhere I want, because I might be trying to pirate the content that I already own? c'mon now, be logical.

as a GM, I can see how handy the NPC's could be...shoot, could even use em as starter characters or idea points for new players...pick the one that sounds cool to you then go flesh it out type of deal...
Good points. Thanks!
I like the point that if it isn't locked down in the PDF, then it shouldn't be locked down in the Hero Lab Module.

I will say that as a GM, after seeing the new Encounter Builder, I'd pay the $100 if there was a fair sized Shadowrun searchable user data base of shared material available and there was good support for customizable character sheets/Combat NPC sheets/Combat Logs (which a good user data base would certainly help).

The Tactical Console is nice but not practical for everyone so having customizable NPC combat sheets is important to a GM (who need different levels of information on the sheet depending on the particular NPC and the GM's experience with the rules).

Personally I'd like to have the option to buy the PDF/Hero Lab module or PDF/Hero Lab module/Hardcopy as a package deal.

You get the PDF right away and the Hero Lab module and Hardcopy arrive when they are ready.

Eventually it would be nice if when you got the PDF/Hero Lab module combo, there were integrated. You could click in Hero Lab a weapon, vehicle, or gear and add the illustration from the the PDF to the Hero Lab Sheet. Or being able to click on a button in Hero Lab and open the relevant PDF up and jump to that section of the rules. Although given the complete entries in Hero Lab it isn't really needed. Being able to pull an illustrations in to a PC/NPC file for a weapon, NPC, Critter, or vehicle would be a big help to the GM.

As far as the searchable user data base, build it and they will come.
Put out some freebie material to show how easy it is to pull material from the user data base in to Hero Lab and off you go.

Certainly a discount for Hero Lab 4th Edition owners would be nice. Maybe a free module like Run and Gun for those who upgrade.

Last edited by cndblank; May 2nd, 2014 at 10:13 AM.
cndblank is offline   #41 Reply With Quote
cndblank

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Will there be some way to import Hero Lab Shadowrun 4th Edition NPCs in to Hero Lab Shadowrun 5th Edition?

Even if all it did was use a quick and dirty conversion system and put any thing that it didn't recognize in to Personal Details as text, it would be a real aid to GM's converting their campaign to 5th.

Just having the fields that easily translated (contacts, PC/NPC picture, Background text, and so on), loaded in to the SR5 Hero Lab character file would really help.

And it would provide an instant large base of PC/NPCs for a GM to work with.
Of course converted NPCs would be a great thing for a Hero Lab Shadowrun 5th Edition user data base.
cndblank is offline   #42 Reply With Quote
Peter Smith

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cndblank View Post
Certainly a discount for Hero Lab 4th Edition owners would be nice. Maybe a free module like Run and Gun for those who upgrade.
Like the ten dollar discount they're offering?
Peter Smith is offline   #43 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 2nd, 2014, 09:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Smith View Post
Like the ten dollar discount they're offering?
We have not announced any discounts for Shadowrun 5.
Mathias is online now   #44 Reply With Quote
cndblank

Old May 2nd, 2014, 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cndblank View Post
Wish I put this in a separate post.
cndblank is offline   #45 Reply With Quote
Peter Smith

Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
We have not announced any discounts for Shadowrun 5.
The e-mail newsletter I got suggests otherwise:

"Looking forward to using Shadowrun 5th edition in Hero Lab? Once Shadowrun 5 is available, you can buy Hero Lab at our online store for $29.99, which includes one game system of your choice. If you’re already a Hero lab user, you’ll be able to add Shadowrun 5th Edition to your license for only $20 once we release it in the upcoming weeks."
Peter Smith is offline   #46 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 2nd, 2014, 01:17 PM
That's the case for all game systems in Hero Lab, not specific to Shadowrun 5. The price to purchase Hero Lab, which comes with any one game system is $29.99, and to add any other game system to that is $20/system.
Mathias is online now   #47 Reply With Quote
EightBitz

Old May 5th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Quote:
[snip ...] please, please tell me that I can output characters direct to HTML format so that I can set my output folder as a directory that's localhost served for quick access to everyone/anyone's data as the GM...(and yes, I mean I don't want to have to go through your software to look up something about a character)
Generally speaking, you can output characters to HTML, XML and plain text.
EightBitz is offline   #48 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old May 9th, 2014, 03:19 PM
It's official - Shadowrun 5th Edition will be releasing on May 23rd! Check out our webpage for more information.
liz is offline   #49 Reply With Quote
TheScrivener

Old May 10th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Quote:
for a total of $329 in buying the actual sourcebooks...so, on top of the say $650-750 I've paid for my collection (most are hardcopy AND PDF), I'm supposed to pony up another $125 to have a program that keeps my characters organized, and then it doesn't let me copy and paste my stuff anywhere I want, because I might be trying to pirate the content that I already own? c'mon now, be logical.
I definitely understand the frustration - I think the nickel and diming is a bit excessive as well, but there is a difference between having access to the text and the extra convenience of the data files. If people are willing to pay for it, they'll sell it.

Also, remember this is intellectual property we're talking about. You don't "own" the content, you have a license to download the PDF. You own your physical book, but that doesn't mean you can legally copy and send it around to everyone everywhere.

Catalyst wisely knows that loading DRM on their books means they wouldn't sell as well. HL, though, doesn't operate on the same margins or economies of scale, and their products would be much more vulnerable for piracy. Hence, to pay for the content deals and ensure they can keep coming out with updates, this is what we pay. If you don't like it, vote with your dollars and maybe we'll see a change.
TheScrivener is offline   #50 Reply With Quote