Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion > Realm Works Early Access Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Agyess

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM
is there a good way to do a family tree, for a family (as opposed to for an individual). Think house from game of thrones laid out as link web to individual profiles?
Agyess is offline   #1
Zaphod Beebledoc

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:39 PM
There's a sample family tree in the Beta manual, but I don't think it is implemented yet...
Zaphod Beebledoc is offline   #2
lfseeney

Old August 19th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Hmm

Perhaps a StoryBoard showing all the branches and such.
Easy to see who is with whom.

Maybe use a Container to hold the whole Family.
Each Family is in a Container
(not tried yet but I think an Object can be in More than One)

Then Use Group or just make a new one Family

If I were doing it this all would go in the World Section, as it is back ground.
YMMV

Could use Relationships but I think that would be messy to setup,
the Story Board gives a a View layout
the Container a way to hold them all

I would bet there are at least 10 more ways though

Hope it helps a little

Last edited by lfseeney; August 19th, 2013 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling
lfseeney is offline   #3
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
If you are trying to setup genealogy, you MUST use relationships. Specifically, you need to use either the "immediate ancestor" or "offspring" relationship that appears in the list. These relationships are what RW will key on for presenting an appropriate "family tree" diagram. [NOTE: The proper diagram is not yet being generated for this, but those relationships will be what is keyed on.]

An additional relationship can also be leveraged for family tree diagrams. Fantasy games can sometimes have long-lived races mating with comparatively short-lived races (e.g. elves and humans). This will sometimes result in wonky-looking family tree diagrams. To help with this, the "union" relationship should be specified between the mating pair (mom and dad). This will provide RW with additional clues about how to construct the diagram so that it typically works well even when the parents are of wildly different ages and can otherwise appear substantially separated within the diagram.

NOTE! Again, the proper family tree diagrams are not yet being generated. They should be in place in time for V1.0.
rob is offline   #4
jacook

Old August 21st, 2013, 09:44 AM
Rob, I'm not understanding why most relationship types can cross between World and Story almanacs. Can you advise?
jacook is offline   #5
Joe
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 21st, 2013, 09:56 AM
There's currently a bug where you can only create Arbitrary Relationships across story/world topics.

However, there's a workaround that will get you going for now. Create the relationships as arbitrary and save them. Then change their type to ancestor/offspring/union. The engine level code supports this just fine, I believe we're just showing the wrong tabs when you pick a topic for relationship creation.
Joe is offline   #6
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 21st, 2013, 09:57 AM
Let's say you have a big campaign world like Forgotten Realms. You have all the various relationships between major NPCs, guilds, deities, etc. All of that is managed within the World Almanac. Now the PCs venture into Waterdeep, and there are a couple of these NPCs that they will be interacting with regularly. So you move those NPCs into the Story Almanac for convenient reference. All the relationships between those NPCs and content remaining in the World Almanac are still entirely valid. In fact, the actions of the PCs might foster new relationships between NPCs in the story and major NPCs that remain in the World Almanac.

The World and Story are simply two subsets of the overall world. The intent behind the separation is let you pare down the content you primarily interact with. Using the Forgotten Realms again, you might have tens of thousands of topics spanning the entire world. If the PCs are adventuring in one region, all you want to sift through is that one region. When they leave that region, you don't want that stuff cluttering up the story. So you can move topics back and forth between World and Story, as needed. The material you primarily focus on is in the Story, but everything else is still accessible via the World Almanac.

Hope that helps!
rob is offline   #7
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old August 21st, 2013, 09:59 AM
What that "can" cross or "can't" cross. I answered the question as "can" and Joe apparently is aware of a bug that I didn't know about that would explain a "can't" interpretation.
rob is offline   #8
curufea

Old August 22nd, 2013, 07:21 PM
Something that may be of interest if geneological standards want to be used-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEDCOM
curufea is offline   #9
DeckOfManyThings

Old August 23rd, 2013, 07:27 AM
Is there a "sibling of" option I am missing somewhere? I really don't want to create a Story NPC of "Parent" just to relate two characters as "Offspring of" to make them siblings.
DeckOfManyThings is offline   #10