Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game

Notices

Diaz Ex Machina

Old April 23rd, 2022, 10:02 PM
So, I'm trying to create a bunch of subraces for my races. Somewhere in the forum I've read that this is better handled by the Alt. Racial Trt tab, so I'm using that, but I still need to understand some things:
  • Can I change the ability modifiers of the subrace?
  • Is it possible to add and remove available languages depending on the subrace?
  • Can I change the random height/weight values for the subrace?
  • Can I hide the single alternative racial traits from the Add Alternate Racial Traits menu in HL, leaving only the subraces available to choose from?
Thank you in advance for your help and time.
Diaz Ex Machina is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ploturo

Old April 23rd, 2022, 10:55 PM
The answer to the first three bullet-point questions is definitely yes (although the mechanics for weight are different between 3.5 and Pathfinder since pathfinder uses a fixed weight multiplier).

The ability score modifiers (and/or options to choose modifiers) come from bootstrapped racial abilities that can be "replaced" just like any other racial ability.

Both the starting languages and height/weight randomization for a race are stored as tags on the race pick, so you can change those by deleting the existing ones from the race pick on the hero and adding back the correct ones for the sub race. You can add any race to the hero and check out the tags on it with the "Show Selection Tags" option from the debug info windows to check out the tags.

The minimum starting height and weight for each gender are stored in fields on that same race pick, which you can check out with the "Show Selection fields" info window.

I'm not sure what you mean by "singular alternative racial traits" in the fourth question.

But if you mean the existing alt racial traits, I don't think there is an easy way, but the brute force preclude way should always get rid of them.

The secondary tables for racial traits are shown or hidden as appropriate for each race, although I don't know the exact mechanism without checking it out further. I would suggest trying adding various races to see which have the additional race-based tables appear and then see if any tags on them correspond to the tables that appear, and if any of the fields correspond to the names of the tables. It could also be that they just don't show up if there aren't any possible options to choose.

I would suggest checking out the Aasimar race if you have the Player Companion package license that includes the Blood of Angels book, because it adds a Heritage Table with options for different types of aasimar (which have different ability score modifiers, abilities, etc), since you would be able to look at how those are implemented in the editor.
ploturo is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Diaz Ex Machina

Old April 24th, 2022, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploturo View Post
The answer to the first three bullet-point questions is definitely yes (although the mechanics for weight are different between 3.5 and Pathfinder since pathfinder uses a fixed weight multiplier).

The ability score modifiers (and/or options to choose modifiers) come from bootstrapped racial abilities that can be "replaced" just like any other racial ability.

Both the starting languages and height/weight randomization for a race are stored as tags on the race pick, so you can change those by deleting the existing ones from the race pick on the hero and adding back the correct ones for the sub race. You can add any race to the hero and check out the tags on it with the "Show Selection Tags" option from the debug info windows to check out the tags.

The minimum starting height and weight for each gender are stored in fields on that same race pick, which you can check out with the "Show Selection fields" info window.

I'm not sure what you mean by "singular alternative racial traits" in the fourth question.

But if you mean the existing alt racial traits, I don't think there is an easy way, but the brute force preclude way should always get rid of them.

The secondary tables for racial traits are shown or hidden as appropriate for each race, although I don't know the exact mechanism without checking it out further. I would suggest trying adding various races to see which have the additional race-based tables appear and then see if any tags on them correspond to the tables that appear, and if any of the fields correspond to the names of the tables. It could also be that they just don't show up if there aren't any possible options to choose.

I would suggest checking out the Aasimar race if you have the Player Companion package license that includes the Blood of Angels book, because it adds a Heritage Table with options for different types of aasimar (which have different ability score modifiers, abilities, etc), since you would be able to look at how those are implemented in the editor.
Thanks, those suggestions are helpful.

What I meant in my fourth bullet-point was if I can have only the subraces in the Alternate Racial Traits menu, instead of having the subraces and the alternative traits.
I think I've found a solution, but I don't know how to apply it: instead of making the subraces add Alternate Racial Traits, I make them add Racial Specials. Problem is, when I bootstrap the subrace to add a Racial Special Ability and tell it to disable the Racial Ability I want to replace, it disables out both abilities, since the former is based on the latter; if I remove the connection to the Special Ability to the other Ability, they both are enabled. Can you help with this issue?

EDIT1: Nevermind, my solution works, I just had to restart HL.

Last edited by Diaz Ex Machina; April 24th, 2022 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Update on solution.
Diaz Ex Machina is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Diaz Ex Machina

Old April 24th, 2022, 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploturo View Post
Can you please explain how would I add/remove languages and adjust height/weight variables? The actual formula, I mean. I know nothing of coding and everything looks like gibberish to me.
Diaz Ex Machina is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
ploturo

Old April 24th, 2022, 08:21 PM
For example, if you created a thing id="rDwarfSubrace" you could put a script on it with timing PreLevels:100 like this:
Code:
~ set focus on the Pick for the original race
perform hero.childFound[rDwarf].setfocus

~ if focus wasn't successfully set, something went wrong so stop
doneif (state.isfocus = 0)

~ remove the goblin language
perform focus.delete[Language.lGoblin]

~ add the Elven language
perform focus.assign[Language.lElven]

~ change the female minimum weight field 
focus.field[rWeightMnF].value = 145

~ change the die size used for the height by deleting any