Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old February 20th, 2020, 07:43 AM
I was replying back to a Reddit thread where I was commenting on the downsizing last year, and I got a reply back with a fairly wide range of accusations about HLO. They claim to have spent "hundreds of dollars" on HLO. Is that much content actually available yet?

They're also claiming they're already being charged subscription fees, which seems a bit sketchy since I think people just started their free six months a few months ago, and that they have "proof" that Lone Wolf never said this would be a subscription service, so I'm wondering how much of their plaint is reality-based.
Duggan is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 20th, 2020, 08:14 AM
The complainant says about having to reinstall the application every time he reinstalls windows. This means that he is talking about HLC in that case; whereas the subscription service is only required for HLO.

The 100s of dollars would only have been possible to be spent on HLC.

I think the HLO subscription period started a few months ago, since some people on the forums are talking about it expiring soon.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old February 20th, 2020, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I think the HLO subscription period started a few months ago, since some people on the forums are talking about it expiring soon.
No, the paid subscription period for HLO doesn't begin until the 24th of this month. The thing that's "expiring" is the free server time LW has been giving everyone up until now. Next week we'll actually need to start paying the subscription fee.
dacoobob is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 20th, 2020, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoobob View Post
No, the paid subscription period for HLO doesn't begin until the 24th of this month. The thing that's "expiring" is the free server time LW has been giving everyone up until now. Next week we'll actually need to start paying the subscription fee.
I was more referring to the "6 months free with each purchase" is expiring soon :-)

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old February 20th, 2020, 09:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I was more referring to the "6 months free with each purchase" is expiring soon :-)
oh yeah, i forgot about that! you're totally right, the free server time technically ended 6 months ago, but we've all been running on our 6-month bonus time since then.

either way, that guy on reddit was definitely confused, he had HLC not HLO. HLC doesn't have a subscription fee, and HLO doesn't have "hundreds of dollars" worth of content available yet.

to be fair though he's far from the only person confused by the whole HLC/HLO dichotomy. LW's marketing has billed HLO as "the future of HeroLab", but to most people "HeroLab" just means HLC. so when they hear that "HeroLab will have subscription fees now" they think that applies to HLC.
dacoobob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote