Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 1st Edition

Notices

Farling

Old January 21st, 2021, 04:17 AM
I don't quite understand Rob's response, since he seems to imply that the entire server is single threaded whereby if one user's HL scripts lock up then the entire server is screwed.

Isn't this better served like most server systems by spawning a separate process for each user to handle their own character? So it would only be their own process which locks up - and then simple OS controls to limit CPU time on a process would resolve this technical aspect too.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old January 21st, 2021, 05:35 AM
See, I am not sure how it all works, but for me it seems to be connected to the overall engine on the server at all times. This is instead of having a program on the actual computer you are using like in HLC.

The move to an App is frustrating in some ways, but it does allow one to access it from a wide range of devices using a browser to access it. I hope that it can, at some point, actually have the same or better functionality as the program at some point, but it is far from getting there now.
thaX is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old January 21st, 2021, 06:33 AM
duplicate post...
thaX is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old January 22nd, 2021, 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farling View Post
I don't quite understand Rob's response, since he seems to imply that the entire server is single threaded whereby if one user's HL scripts lock up then the entire server is screwed.

Isn't this better served like most server systems by spawning a separate process for each user to handle their own character? So it would only be their own process which locks up - and then simple OS controls to limit CPU time on a process would resolve this technical aspect too.
It may be that they spin up as many servers as needed but those servers share the same compiled scripts that make up a Hero Lab game system, keeping the storage and RAM needed for the server itself low.

In order to isolate users from each other they'd have to give each user using custom content their own game system folder equivalent. My desktop Hero Lab's PF1 game system folder takes up ~650 MB, not counting the help files or the backup folder. An extra 650 MB of storage space per user and RAM per simultaneous server instance could add up.

Of course, this is just brainstorming and might not be it at all. :)

Parody is online now   #14 Reply With Quote
Phrll

Old January 22nd, 2021, 04:44 AM
From Rob's comment about a runaway script impacting all connected users (http://forums.wolflair.com/showpost....2&postcount=28) and the outage/update posts, it sounds like HLO runs on a single server or a very small number of servers. I've been managing servers for over 30 years and I've seen what he's talking about many times.

There are several ways to address something like this but they're all expensive, probably beyond LW's budget - microservers or containerizing the app (Docker or similar) where each user gets their own server/container instance when they connect. It could also run as a cloud-based serverless app, again each connection spawning a separate instance. These are also more difficult to manage and support than a "traditional" web app so add more cost.

It might be possible to monitor each user's processor and memory consumption and terminate processes or connection that exceed a threshold, it depends on how HLO is implemented and kind of monitoring is available to LW.
Phrll is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
mastratton

Old February 16th, 2021, 08:06 AM
So I am running Rise of the Runelords for 1e. My characters now all have runeforged dominant weapons.

How do I get those weapons into HLO for PF1? I don't see any way to do it.
mastratton is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old February 16th, 2021, 11:58 AM
Domineering is a weapon special ability in the Rise of the Runelords AE dataset.
mototom is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
mastratton

Old February 16th, 2021, 06:37 PM
I have the dataset. How do I add it to the weapon in HLO for PF1?
mastratton is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
mastratton

Old February 16th, 2021, 06:40 PM
I found it, and that’s helpful.

But it looks like I need to add the bane property separately, even though it is part of the Dominating property (and I thought it was dominant, not domineering.)
mastratton is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
mototom

Old February 16th, 2021, 10:18 PM
Yes, it should be dominant, not domineering. The other runeforged weapon abilities look correctly named.

It mentions the bane in the domineering special ability, but it doesn't appear to actually apply bane so you can toggle the bonuses on. That should probably be reported as a bug.
mototom is offline   #20 Reply With Quote