Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > Hero Lab Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hoodsey

Send a message via AIM to Hoodsey Send a message via MSN to Hoodsey Send a message via Yahoo to Hoodsey Send a message via Skype™ to Hoodsey

Old October 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Kind of a vague Title, but I wanted people to click on it.

I recently picked up REALbasic Studio as my programming language, I think Lone Wolf should consider this development environment also, because the main seller of this language is... true cross-platform development. Develop on ANY OS you purchase a key for (special rules apply for the Enterprise license, however), and you can compile for OS X, Windows AND Linux. Talk about reaching out to audiences...

I don't know what it's coded in now, but I know Visual Basic is an easy import...
Hoodsey is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Duggan
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old October 15th, 2011, 09:01 PM
C++ IIRC, so it's already in a cross-platform language. Admittedly, UI and such are 3rd party, but given they've had success in coding for Macintosh and most Linux users are running it via Wine, I don't know that there's much impetus to rewrite everything in a completely new language.
Duggan is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Hoodsey

Send a message via AIM to Hoodsey Send a message via MSN to Hoodsey Send a message via Yahoo to Hoodsey Send a message via Skype™ to Hoodsey

Old October 16th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggan View Post
C++ IIRC, so it's already in a cross-platform language. Admittedly, UI and such are 3rd party, but given they've had success in coding for Macintosh and most Linux users are running it via Wine, I don't know that there's much impetus to rewrite everything in a completely new language.
Dunno if it'd be a total rewrite, but the ability to run the application natively without having an emulator is fantastic. Since it assembles in machine code, it's nice. I've been working my way through a REAL Studio book. Fairly flexible. I can't wait until later in the book though.
Hoodsey is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Colen
Lone Wolf Staff

Old October 17th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately we're coded in C++ as Duggan says, so rewriting RealBasic would indeed be complete rewrite. We are working on an OS X version of Hero Lab right now, which we're hoping to have out before the end of the year.
Colen is offline   #4 Reply With Quote