Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

EightBitz

Old April 4th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Is there any way to reset the reveal history? Again, this is related to multiple groups. Say I have a one-off that I run for one group, then later, I want to run it for a second group. And just for my own visual pleasure, I want to start the second group with a clean, fresh, empty reveal history.

Any way to do that?
EightBitz is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
bgrimm

Old April 6th, 2014, 06:32 AM
+1 to this.
bgrimm is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 6th, 2014, 09:45 AM
I think the expectation for this is tied to the Repository.

You would create the Realm initially.
When you run if for Group 1, the idea would be not to use the one you entered directly. Make a copy, and use that.

When you run for Group 2, copy the original again, and use that fresh copy for Group 2.

By "copy", I expect the mechanism will be more like "Create a new Realm and import the data from your 'master copy' of the adventure/setting".

I expect that the model will be:

1. Create a new realm for your play campaign.
2. Import the rules set you want to use (Mechanics Articles).
3. Import the Setting you want to use (mostly World Almanac topics).
4. Import the Adventure(s) you want to use (mostly Story Almanac topics).
5. Customize as needed.
6. Begin the campaign.

Because the Repository is not in place right now, all Realms are "monolithic", containing all data. Once the Repository is in place, I expect that will change, and most people will have many smaller Realms that they assemble as needed for a campaign.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old April 7th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveras View Post
Because the Repository is not in place right now, all Realms are "monolithic", containing all data. Once the Repository is in place, I expect that will change, and most people will have many smaller Realms that they assemble as needed for a campaign.
This repository might be what I am looking for. I want to do a few things and I am not sure I can do them at present.

Can you direct me to some info regarding this repository?

Thank you in advance.
Vargr is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old April 7th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vargr View Post
This repository might be what I am looking for. I want to do a few things and I am not sure I can do them at present.

Can you direct me to some info regarding this repository?

Thank you in advance.
Unfortunately, most of what I said is based on scattered bits and pieces. The outlined use I mentioned is my guess based on what has been said. There are some references in the Kickstarter page's description of RealmWorks (see especially the 2nd and 3rd bullets under "What We Will Do With Your Support"). While the general purpose is there, a lot of the details are missing because the Repository and Marketplace are "in the works" and not ready yet.

The other part is that I don't want to make any statements that might give a false impression of anything LoneWolf has said. To date, they have said that allowing GMs to re-use content is a part of the plan, and there are some technical details in the threads on how the cloud syncing works... but those are not usage details.
Silveras is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old April 9th, 2014, 05:14 AM
@Silveras:

Thank you for your elaborate reply. It was actually very useful.

I hope one of the staff might see this thread and be able to cast some kight on this "repository" or what-ever the solution, that enables a GM to make a game world and then run several parties in the same game world, even in the same period (possibly even meeting one another).

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Vargr is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
liz
Ex-Staff
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 9th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Quote:
I hope one of the staff might see this thread and be able to cast some kight on this "repository" or what-ever the solution, that enables a GM to make a game world and then run several parties in the same game world, even in the same period (possibly even meeting one another).
What you're asking for appears to be different than what @EightBitz seems to be asking for and what Silveras is explaining.

If you have a campaign world that you want to run for two separate groups (that won't interact), you should use two separate realms. When more of our sharing mechanisms are in place for the Content Market, you'll be able to essentially "duplicate" your realms so that you don't need to re-enter everything into a second realm.

If you have two groups that may interact with each other within your campaign, you'll want to use the same realm for both groups. That is where the individual player reveal will come in handy (Rob talks more about individual player reveal in this thread). Individual player reveal is not yet implemented, but most of the back-end logic is in place.

I hope that clarifies things a bit!
liz is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Vargr

Old April 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Thank you for the clarification.

I somehow got the impression that I would be able to - when everything was in place and ready programwise - to have one realm and run several parties in that one realm. The individual revelation system might be the solution.

I will just try to get my world into RW and see where that takes me

I am just worried that I might be enterering the data in a way that will prevent me from using RW to its fullest and in accordance with my needs. A fear that I thnk most people entering their own world have to a certain degree. Ah well, there is nothing like treading new ground

Vargr
Deputy Calendar Champion

Legend has it, that the Tarrasque is a huge fighting beast, perpetually hungry.
Sleet entered History when he managed to get on the back of a Tarrasque only to be ridden out of History shortly after.

Using Realm Works, Worldographer (Hexographer 2), LibreOffice, Daz3D Studio, pen & paper for the realm World of Temeon and the system LEFD - both homebrewed.

Last edited by Vargr; April 9th, 2014 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Silly spelling mistakes.
Vargr is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2014, 12:41 AM
The way that you'll run multiple parties through the same realm is by entering the realm data once and then "sharing it" privately with yourself. Once it's been shared, you'll create two new realms and import the shared realm into each of them. At this point, the two new realms have copies of the original and can be played out independently of one another.

Everything here is designed to run through the sharing mechanism, since that way we can handle all the different ways users will want to use this. If someone is running two parties through the same realm simultaneously, he can do so. If someone else wants to run one party through the realm and then another at some later date, he can do so. Etc.

The critical detail here is that we need to having the sharing mechanism in place for all this to work. We don't have that ready yet.

If, after reading this, you still want the ability to do a full reset of a realm to nothing being revealed, that's definitely something we can do. Please post the request on the Feature Requests forum where other users can find and up-vote the request. That will help us prioritize this feature relative to everything else we have planned and that users are asking for.
rob is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 14th, 2014, 12:45 AM
Quote:
I am just worried that I might be enterering the data in a way that will prevent me from using RW to its fullest and in accordance with my needs. A fear that I thnk most people entering their own world have to a certain degree. Ah well, there is nothing like treading new ground
Realm Works is pretty darned forgiving about things, and there's truly no "right" way to do anything. In fact, there's lots of way to accomplish most things, and different users will prefer different ways that feel "right" to them.

I'm actively working on a lengthy "best practices" guide that will be out relatively soon. That should alleviate lots of the trepidation for most users - hopefully including yourself.
rob is offline   #10 Reply With Quote