Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > HLO - Pathfinder 2nd Edition

Notices

djc664

Old March 8th, 2023, 05:16 PM
I've been in content and records management for over a decade, and IT for 30 years. I've seen a boat load of readers, all versions of PDFs ever made with every generation method on the market, viewers and e-book approaches in that time. I have a personal library with over 2,500 titles. I like to read, and I highly value books.

This is the nicest experience for reading and referencing RPG books I've ever experienced.

I'm honestly flabbergasted with how much I'm enjoying the experience of using it. Kudos to your entire team!

This might be my preferred method to consume rulebooks, period.

Three pieces of feedback:
1. The default right side panel shows View History (which is GREAT - I love that view history option!). How you present favorites in the Split View and the side bar are awesome. A minor quibble, however, is I found closing the right side bar and just having the left side nav with main content to be a great viewing method, until I was looking for where my favorites were. View History was the active option which meant favorites or a star isn't on the screen in that scenario.

When presenting favorites, I view it as a critical design element that should always be clear and quick to get to. I think you nailed it in pretty much all regards except for this combo. I was thinking that perhaps adding the non-active icon to the prompt when the sidebar is closed would be a smooth way to clue users as to all of the options on the side bar and show the text of the "active" option, as it does now, would be a low-impact design option that would be simple to implement without disrupting the overall layout.

2. When just the content is open (no Split View), the entire page is not centered in my monitor.
(see attached screenshot)

Is that intended? When Split-view is open, it detects and fits quite nicely the width, but when that closes I get this "wasted" bar on the right and the shift to the left is more distracting than I care to admit.

Along the centered view lines, are you considering a Zen / Distractions free view mode?

I'd like the main content to be centered, side bars docked, and menu hidden unless I hover the mouse directly over where the menu options are, and the background set to plain black.

3. If it has not already been put on the plan, I'd also like some way to recommend or assign pages, tables, or sidebars in books to my players to read between sessions or during a game would be awesome.

A couple of scenarios come to mind:
- Sending a section of the book to remind players to read up on something that we haven't run into before that will be used in the next game.
- Being able to make a custom favorites list that I can share with select players, or perhaps have the permission to recommend favorite entries to my player's own lists?
- allow players to send me items so I can easily jump to the book entry for reference when they ask for GM Approvals so that I can jump right to the book reference.
- A custom favorites list for a campaign so that a GM can mark out "allowed / optional rules" and share them with all the players easily.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uncentered.jpg (111.3 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by djc664; March 8th, 2023 at 05:18 PM.
djc664 is offline   #1 Reply With Quote