Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Izaegraa

Old February 25th, 2016, 07:26 AM
I have considered adding a beastiary of some sort to my growing world. I am wondering if anyone has done this, or if theres a good way. I think all monsters would belong to a "monster" group, or with the monster tag. This would/should? seperate them entirely from all NPCs. Once added, i would add in stat blocks and details, which would be linked when i have a conflict or encounter using said monster. Anyone have experience with this?

Izaegraa
Izaegraa is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
GThiel

Old February 26th, 2016, 02:40 PM
I have done something similar, but don't make the mistake I did. I put the group in World Almanac instead of Mechanics References where I now wish it were.

What I did was create a group called Encounters, then using HeroLab's encounter manager, I added the monster to a portfolio, saved the monster as a text file, and then imported that monster as a People-Cast Member with the container being the Encounters group as a rich text document. Then when I add the monster as an encounter in a room and save it, it auto-links to the monster. I can then click on it to view the RTF document as needed. Has worked will for me.
GThiel is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old February 26th, 2016, 02:52 PM
@GThiel: You aren't the only one to create in the World almanac rather the Mechanics. You won't be the last. Been there, done that.
AEIOU is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Jay_NOLA

Old February 26th, 2016, 03:34 PM
I did a small bestiary for one of my realms and put it in the Mechanics section.

I have a general monster list topic with a text entry for each monster. I did this as I wanted an topic that would list every creature in the bestiary with a link to the creature's own topic that I could turn on or off. If I wanted players to know about it.

I have separate topics for each bestiary monster which are sub topics.

Each creature's topic is set up so that I can turn on and off what information I want displayed.

I did find that I had to make for entries another entry and have the creatures as a sub entry,

So I'll have Demon listed which goes to the general bestiary page for Demons that gives basic info, rules, etc. that applies to all of them and sub topics of the various Demons that got individual topic entries.

My main list has the sub entries (like various types of demons) in a different text style given right under the main general entry to let the reader know that a specific creature is actual a separate creature that got its on topic of creature given in normal text above it.
Jay_NOLA is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old February 26th, 2016, 05:25 PM
I have been thinking about it. I use hero lab to build my encounters so I doubt I'd bother with any specific mechanics material but I think it would be nice to have some info on each monster that could be revealed to players once they have encountered them or made a successful knowledge check.

If I did it, it would definitely be in the mechanics section. Probably a bit of flavor and then some things the players could know or learn about each creature.

Also I'd definitely have a link on each topic to things like undead traits, ooze traits etc. that apply I can never remember precisely what each of those are and I hate having to look them up in the bestiary. A link to a topic that lays them out would speed up my sessions quite a bit.

Last edited by kbs666; February 26th, 2016 at 05:28 PM.
kbs666 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old February 28th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I've used it so long now that I thought it had become standard but after conversation and some examples on the forum, I created a Monster/Enemy heading under Dangers in the Mechanics Reference. This is for 5e and I'm pretty sure was either stolen outright or just slightly modified from someone else's work. It uses the following fairly simple format:

1 Overview - Brief description, overview
2 Statistics - Statblock, equipment, abilities
3 Tactics - Movement, targeting, ability usage, retreating, surrendering
4 Environment - Base of operations, habitat, ecology, behaviors, lair, patrol routes
5 Rewards - Experience, items, treasure, etc.
Gord is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old February 28th, 2016, 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I've used it so long now that I thought it had become standard but after conversation and some examples on the forum, I created a Monster/Enemy heading under Dangers in the Mechanics Reference. This is for 5e and I'm pretty sure was either stolen outright or just slightly modified from someone else's work. It uses the following fairly simple format:

1 Overview - Brief description, overview
2 Statistics - Statblock, equipment, abilities
3 Tactics - Movement, targeting, ability usage, retreating, surrendering
4 Environment - Base of operations, habitat, ecology, behaviors, lair, patrol routes
5 Rewards - Experience, items, treasure, etc.
This is the standard template that comes with RW.
Farling is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Gord

Old February 28th, 2016, 08:05 AM
I guess my first thoughts were right then. I double checked the sample realm but didn't see it under Dangers because I didn't click on it and pop up the option to choose a category when creating a topic. I had expected it to just be there as it was in my main realm.

Thanks for the clarification and correction.
Gord is offline   #8 Reply With Quote