Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

lfseeney

Old March 20th, 2015, 06:52 PM
If any one has a framework on 5th D&D would like a copy.

May keep me from entering so much already done.

Thanks.

Lee
lfseeney is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
MNBlockHead

Old March 20th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Unfortunately there are licensing issues. We are still waiting for WoTC to release an OGL, GSL to clarify what can be shared.
MNBlockHead is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
lfseeney

Old March 20th, 2015, 07:17 PM
forgot the arm chair lawyers

Please send me a private personal use message.

Thanks.
lfseeney is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old March 20th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Regardless of legal issues, there still isn't a way to give you a copy. Folks putting D&D 5e into RW could show you how they decided to organize it, though.

Parody is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
AEIOU

Old March 21st, 2015, 06:33 AM
@lfseeney: Sharing of content is a hot button for publishers and a legal quagmire for LWD. The more posts like yours that publishers see, the more stringent policing will likely be. RW is a game changer and a huge unknown to the gaming industry. We all want to be able to build upon other's work rather than each of us reinvent the wheel, but we need to find a way to do it that doesn't piss people off. Cut the attitude.

Sharing of any sort is not possible until the Marketplace is in place.
AEIOU is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old March 21st, 2015, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfseeney View Post
forgot the arm chair lawyers
It's not the armchair lawyers you have to worry about, mate, it's the real ones.

The real ones that could shut this operation down with legal costs and hassle.

It's not just a winky-winky "Let's pretend to comply" issue, it's a serious matter for everyone involved here.
MaxSupernova is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old March 21st, 2015, 04:18 PM
Also, I don't think Realm Works is set up to share anything without going through LWD's servers. Therefore LWD could be beholden to those lawyers when someone sees a single realm being shared with hundreds of people. LWD may even be required to take action against that person in order to prevent any legal actions against them.

You could maybe ask to be invited into someone's 5th edition world to see how they did it, but then you'd probably still have to enter all the information and do all the organizing yourself. Sorry, no shortcuts here that I can see.
Viking2054 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
lfseeney

Old March 24th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Come on folks Lone Wolf built on using other's IP.

Army Builder, ring a bell to anyone?

If RW was treated more like AB, then folks could work together to build stuff, but wanting to get money for it is where your issues are, and that was not started by me.

WOTC will take years to decide PDFs are worth doing.
Good Luck with anything more.
Last tweet I heard was it all is on hold because there is only one person who can decide and that person is on jury duty for the next 4+ months.

Would rather just be able to send a file to a friend than have to pay to send it, then have the secret IP police check to be sure I did not use a proper name.

I own the books, that should allow me to work with another that does so we do not have to duplicate the effort.

But AEIOU has made it clear I am the bad guy, so be it.
lfseeney is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Dark Lord Galen

Old March 24th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parody View Post
Regardless of legal issues, there still isn't a way to give you a copy. Folks putting D&D 5e into RW could show you how they decided to organize it, though.
Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEIOU View Post
@lfseeney: Sharing of content is a hot button for publishers and a legal quagmire for LWD. The more posts like yours that publishers see, the more stringent policing will likely be. RW is a game changer and a huge unknown to the gaming industry. We all want to be able to build upon other's work rather than each of us reinvent the wheel, but we need to find a way to do it that doesn't piss people off. Cut the attitude.

Sharing of any sort is not possible until the Marketplace is in place.
Also Spot On
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova View Post
It's not the armchair lawyers you have to worry about, mate, it's the real ones.

The real ones that could shut this operation down with legal costs and hassle.
Translation......Why go looking for problems when there are enough challenges with out creating unnecessary ones?

Seriously, There will certainly be some form of collaborative effort, but at the moment that is clearly ..NOT clear until the market place is well underway and those methods are defined.

Not So seriously....
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSupernova & Ifseeney
It's IS just a winky-winky .........................
Sorry that title belongs to me..... get your own

DLG
Dark Lord Galen is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Viking2054

Old March 26th, 2015, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfseeney View Post
Come on folks Lone Wolf built on using other's IP.

Army Builder, ring a bell to anyone?

I'm not sure exactly how Army Builder works, but I bet it is probably a bunch of files and not a single database containing everything. Realm Works is a single database containing all the realms a person creates or purchases, unless, or until, they start deleting stuff. Right now there isn't any way to export a select few entries from a realm into a file that could be imported by someone else. Also, every single Realm has a "Globally Unique Identifier" (GUID) and all the entries under that realm have another unique identifier tied to the realms GUID... at least that's how I understand these databases to work. The GUID is generated by LWD on their servers when you create a Realm. Therefore it may not be possible to just share this stuff as you ask as it could present real problems to your content, the original creators content, and possible the servers at LWD.

I'm also not sure what exactly is done for Army Builder files. I'm not sure if LWD is actively allowing trading of these files on their forums or is it being done on third party websites that LWD has no control of?

Also, if the people that own the IP Army Builder is based on aren't actively protecting their IP then that's their problem. However, it looks to me like Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast actively protect their Intellectual Property and have the lawyers to make peoples lives miserable.

So, when people ask you not to ask for IP from lawyer heavy mega corps, then you should consider the possibility that they are trying to protect the product they've spent their hard earned money on.

You should also consider the fact that LWD has stated that they are waiting for Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro to hopefully release an SRD. I believe they have also mentioned that they would like to gain a full blown license for D&D 5.0 if the licensing fees can be successfully negotiated.

So, again, there are no shortcuts. You might be able to see how others have done it but because of the way RW was set up, at least for now, you can't drop in a file into some directory and restart RW to get someone else's content without either destroying or else renaming your database. In any case you wouldn't be able to use your content and the shared content at the same time.

Although you see AEIOU as calling you a bad guy, I see him as trying to help protect LWD and the rest of us that are willing to pay a small fee for legal access to content.
Viking2054 is offline   #10 Reply With Quote