Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

evildmguy

Old September 16th, 2019, 11:05 AM
https://paizo.com/threads/rzs42p53?H...e-a-Experience

In case anyone missed it.

Do we think it has gotten better?
evildmguy is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
wynlyndd

Old September 16th, 2019, 11:24 AM
For character creation, HLO is awesome. I haven't tried anything else really as I do not have Android. The need for an always-on connection is really hampering me though. Their old iPad app was great, fairly quick, but HLO is a bit laggy. Could be my connection, maybe I was playing at a busy time for the HLO servers... It might improve, but it is annoying that I have to print my characters before a session in order to ensure quick access.

I really really want to download some XML character profile into a lightweight standalone app. Maybe it can't be leveled up or edited beyond a bit without necessitating a trip back to HLO.
wynlyndd is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old September 16th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wynlyndd View Post
For character creation, HLO is awesome... but HLO is a bit laggy.
I find HLO to be quite cumbersome with the number of clicks needed to add most things. The response time of each click and popup list adds to the overall "lagginess" of the UI.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal
Farling is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Samurai

Old September 16th, 2019, 01:33 PM
the online only aspect of it makes it a flat out "No" for me. I need to be able to have 100% functionality when off line.
Samurai is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old September 16th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by evildmguy View Post
Do we think it has gotten better?
Nah, no significant change in the month since that was posted. They've fixed some bugs, but major features are still missing or incomplete. I'm using pencil-and-paper for PF2 and enjoying it-- the system is streamlined enough compared to PF1 that i don't feel as much of a need for computer assistance anyway.
dacoobob is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 17th, 2019, 05:24 AM
Well, that review was less than ideal, I admit. We are sorry for the frustrations. I assure you we are working as hard as we can to address the issues you tell us about. And we understand that the online model isn't for everyone, which is why HLC is staying put. We have an update coming tomorrow that addresses some of them. We'll continue to roll the fixes out as we find them. Thanks for your continued patience folkeroos!
Lj Stephens is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
dacoobob

Old September 17th, 2019, 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lj stephens View Post
well, that review was less than ideal, i admit. We are sorry for the frustrations. I assure you we are working as hard as we can to address the issues you tell us about. And we understand that the online model isn't for everyone, which is why hlc is staying put. We have an update coming tomorrow that addresses some of them. We'll continue to roll the fixes out as we find them. Thanks for your continued patience folkeroos!
‎________$$$$
_______$$__$
_______$___$$
_______$___$$
_______$$___$$
________$____$$
________$$____$$$
_________$$_____$$
_________$$______$$
__________$_______$$
____$$$$$$$________$$
__$$$_______________$$$$$$
_$$____$$$$____________$$$
_$___$$$__$$$____________$$
_$$________$$$____________$
__$$____$$$$$$____________$
__$$$$$$$____$$___________$
__$$_______$$$$___________$
___$$$$$$$$$__$$_________$$
____$________$$$$_____$$$$
____$$____$$$$$$____$$$$$$
_____$$$$$$____$$__$$
_______$_____$$$_$$$
________$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by dacoobob; September 17th, 2019 at 06:59 AM.
dacoobob is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old September 17th, 2019, 06:58 AM
That review is confusing and deceptive. I don't think it was meant to be deceptive on purpose but it really is unfortunate, especially when talking about the pricing scheme. The review implies that every 6 months you need to buy the data sets all over again. He cleared that up later on but the initial post was inaccurate.

That said in another post on Paizo I put my thoughts own HLO. Here is the repost of them.

Here is my experience so far with Herolabs Online for both Starfinder and Pathfinder 2nd.

Character Generation at home on my home PC is awesome and works really well. It is intuitive and does a great job in walking you through the process.

That is where the awesomeness ends.

It hurts not having the ability to add my own data like I did on Herolabs Classic. It sucks not having custom character sheets.

Here is where it really sucks, using it live during a game on my iPad Pro. (Only used it for Starfinder, have not tried PF2 yet live)

It constantly freezes, reloads, disconnects and is much slower then Herolabs classic on my iPad. I suspect it will work much better on a laptop. I have tested the live version on my PC at home and it works much better and quicker. The little lightning icon it uses in Strafinder to use abilities are hard to select on the iPad because it is so small, and it takes a few times to actually work.

The scrolling you need to do to see your entire character is annoying and I prefer the on page version of Herolabs classic.
Dragnmoon is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Lj Stephens
Lone Wolf Staff

Old September 17th, 2019, 11:21 AM
Fair enough Dragonmoon. Thanks for your thoughts. We do keep these things in mind when making updates and changes.
Lj Stephens is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Dragnmoon

Old September 17th, 2019, 11:55 AM
IMO LJ the UI would be better if the Play version of HLO was just one page representing a Character sheet, with other options available to add your abilities as you play. The same way the HeroLabs classic app works for iPad.

The scrolling you have to do now like i said is annoying and lag gets in the way of it.

Edit: Also Congrats to you and your Husband on your new Jobs!

Last edited by Dragnmoon; September 17th, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
Dragnmoon is offline   #10 Reply With Quote