Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Online Forums > Hero Lab Online Discussion

Notices

Nightstar

Old April 15th, 2020, 02:05 PM
I'm sure one day HLO will be all things to all people, and I do like the web page somewhat. It's just limited in the areas I want, and rather expensive at that... Too expensive for what it does, especially since it still feels like a beta.

I would gladly spend hundreds on this if it had an editor like HLC, or could link to HLC with PF2 and SF being brought to HLC, and then could export to a VTT.

Until then, pencil and paper for me, and entering in the info into a VTT manually.
Nightstar is offline   #61 Reply With Quote
Zaran

Old April 19th, 2020, 07:33 PM
I am starting to wonder how many people actually use the Shadowrun HLO. I keep finding bugs that should pop up rather frequently and they don't seem be spoken of here in the forums. So far binding foci has a couple issues (qi foci don't have a way to assign magic points and Binding Foci in advancement has no connection to the gear and thus the focus can't actually be bound.) and you can't advance the exotic weapons skill because it asks for a new specialization. Also you can't track ammo expendature. These are all things that were in the classic version and my group probably won't subscribe after our 6 months are through.
Zaran is offline   #62 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 19th, 2020, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaran View Post
I am starting to wonder how many people actually use the Shadowrun HLO. I keep finding bugs that should pop up rather frequently and they don't seem be spoken of here in the forums. So far binding foci has a couple issues (qi foci don't have a way to assign magic points and Binding Foci in advancement has no connection to the gear and thus the focus can't actually be bound.) and you can't advance the exotic weapons skill because it asks for a new specialization. Also you can't track ammo expendature. These are all things that were in the classic version and my group probably won't subscribe after our 6 months are through.
Have you submitted a bug report with these issues yet? If not, please report these by opening a support ticket, either from within the product or by simply sending an email to support. We're only aware of bugs that actually get reported, and we can only fix bugs that we're made aware of.

Please note that Shadowrun 6 was a major rewrite, both due to the changes in the game system and the switch to HLO. Consequently, just because a capability worked in SR5/Classic doesn't necessarily mean that it should just automatically work in SR6. It may have been inadvertently broken or overlooked in the rewrite. So please report problems you spot to put them on our radar and enable us to get them fixed!
rob is offline   #63 Reply With Quote
Zaran

Old April 20th, 2020, 07:02 AM
I have put in two bug reports. The Qi focus bug was mentioned here months ago. Don’t know if they made a bug report.
Zaran is offline   #64 Reply With Quote
Zaran

Old April 20th, 2020, 07:06 AM
And actually yes I know the two systems are different but I also know that you are selling this new way to do things to us and to me its very much in beta stage so far. If you want my money I want a complete product.
Zaran is offline   #65 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old April 20th, 2020, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaran View Post
And actually yes I know the two systems are different but I also know that you are selling this new way to do things to us and to me its very much in beta stage so far. If you want my money I want a complete product.
I'm in total agreement with that position. I was simply pointing out that the rewrite means certain things that used to work may no longer work due to errors and/or oversights in the rewrite. And we need to know where those bugs crept in so that we can get them fixed. The reports will get them officially on our radar and into the pipeline to be fixed. Thanks for reporting them!

Edit: Issues reported here on the forums don't always get translated into our bug tracking system. That's why you'll see us (and many users) asking for bugs to be formally submitted instead of just posted here. Doing so ensures that they make it into the pipeline for correction.

Last edited by rob; April 20th, 2020 at 12:24 PM.
rob is offline   #66 Reply With Quote
thaX

Old April 20th, 2020, 04:51 PM
As for being "complete," the way the App is on the server and how it is worked, it is my understanding that the inner workings are going to be improved and adjusted continually as development continues. The various additions and improvements are updates to the App instead of "patches" as various programs have had in the past.

So, a complete program for the user is likely not going to happen in so far as being "done." HLO is, however, getting to the point where the character creation aspect (a small part in the overall App) is worth the investment for the customer. The real reason for the online model, which personally I don't need, is for the integration for Realm Works, VVT's and the Campaign Theatre.

I hope that the print out of the character sheets can be formatted to be similar to the sheet in the book, or in a format much like the old sheets instead of the blocks of info spit out into the sheet with tiny print for the stats (with huge modifiers in blocks?) and more info for the skills other than the minimal total. Racial bonuses, for example.

But that is only a matter of time and focus, which is on the online presence instead of Pen and Paper at the moment.
thaX is offline   #67 Reply With Quote
Farling

Old April 20th, 2020, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaX View Post
The real reason for the online model, which personally I don't need, is for the integration for Realm Works, VVT's and the Campaign Theatre.
I wouldn't include Realm Works in this list. RW is an off-line tool, just like HLC.

Farling

Author of the Realm Works Import tool, Realm Works Output tool and Realm Works to Foundry module

Donations gratefully received via Patreon, Ko-Fi or Paypal

Last edited by Farling; April 21st, 2020 at 11:29 PM.
Farling is offline   #68 Reply With Quote
Nightstar

Old April 21st, 2020, 06:21 PM
Realm Works is dead and much of it has been rolled into HLO.

I do hope the VTT integration will happen soon, especially for Fantasy Grounds. I might sign up for a Patron account if it does... But the real kicker for me will be custom content creation tools (I. E. create a custom class).

In the meantime, I just look at my Hero Lab icon on my desk top and sigh wistfully, with a single tear rolling down my check.
Nightstar is offline   #69 Reply With Quote
Darius Silverbolt

Old April 22nd, 2020, 06:23 AM
Honestly the value of the product is measured how much you need it. I run currently 2 active starfinder adventure Paths(AP's). I have completed GM'ing 5 starfinder AP's already. I also run Starfinder Society (and once in a blue moon I get to play) as well.

HLO is a time saver for me. It saves me way more time than the price of the subscription. I also own all the products they have put out for SF. So for me the value is there easily.

I will agree with Nightstar that VTT integration would be amazing as it more time saving for me as I run everything on a VTT even when I run in person. I use the VTT just for mapping and initiative at a minimum.
Darius Silverbolt is offline   #70 Reply With Quote