Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - d20 System

Notices

Diceman

Old September 13th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Greetings,
Currently I am trying to author a dataset for the World of Warcraft D20 game.
I am a complete novice with regards to the authoring kit but I don't mind learning through trail and error.
One Issue I am going to have is that several of the races in that system get certain skills as class skills regardless of what class they actually become. When working with other CB's I have always run into the issue of the program not recognizing these skills as class skills when the class that the character takes doesn't get them as class skills.

Example: WoWRPG's version of the High Elf gets a +2 racial bonus on Concentration, Knowledge (arcana ) and spellcraft checks. In addition these skills are considered class skills for all High Elf characters.

So is there a way to assign a skill to be a class skill as a racial bonus? It is easy to do when you are working strictly with pencil and paper. But I have yet to find a D20 CB engine that will recognize and caculate that as a racial feature.

Any help will be appreciated.
Diceman
Diceman is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
ynnswa

Old September 14th, 2011, 02:43 AM
On the Race tab in Editor, about 1/2 way down the scroll bar, there is a "Class Skills" button. Selecting the relevant skills under that should solve that part of the issue.

As for the racial bonus, you can enter a script that handles it on the Race tab under "Eval Scripts"....This is the script I use for Hyperborians' racial bonuses to Intimidate and Craft(Stone).

~ background skills
#skillbonus[kIntim] += 4
#skillbonus[kCrftSton] += 2

I have it set for the "Pre-Levels" phase with a priority of 10000. And if that didn't ring a bell with you, it will as soon as you click the Eval Scripts button.
ynnswa is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
chiefweasel

Old September 14th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I just posted a demo video on youtube the other day for this very thing.

Web site - Cheese Weasel Logistics - www.cheeseweasel.net
Twitter - @CheeseWeaselGMZ
For user created content check out www.d20pfsrd.com and www.cheeseweasel.net
For video demos of Hero Lab go to http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChiefweasel?blend=9&ob=5
chiefweasel is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Diceman

Old September 15th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Great information!
I thank you both for taking the time to respond. This info will be a great help.

Diceman
Diceman is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Send a message via AIM to Rev Haus 235 Send a message via Yahoo to Rev Haus 235

Old May 30th, 2012, 05:21 PM
To start with, I'm a total script noob. Coding is not my thing at all, I do realize just how precise it has to be though. I'm still not sure why I am getting the error that I am getting.

I'm trying to add a race, its a human variant, for a particular setting that my group plays in.

They receive a +2 bonus to the Spot Skill and the Ride Skill.
After reading this post, I went to the Eval Scripts tab on the Race tab.
I copy and pasted the example script from the previous post, and simply changed the number values and the names of the skills accordingly, or so I thought.

So what I have looks like this:
~ background skills
#skillbonus(kRide) += 2
#skillbonus(kSpot) += 2

I also made my setting for the Phase and Priority the same as in the example given.

When I try to use my new Race though, to test it out, I get the following error message.
File: Umbrean_001.user (line 61) - Thing - Invalid unique id

Frankly, I have no idea what to even try to fix. Even after I have tried to remove the whole thing, it still give me the error.
Does that mean the error is some where else?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks a ton in advance.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:14 AM
I actually kept poking at this problem after I posted my first question there, and I got the bonus skills to work. Apparently I managed to straighten out the issue.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:23 AM
I am however having issues add a class skill to my race.
They have Knowledge: History.

I followed the advice earlier in this post, and found the Class Skill button on the race sheet. I clicked it, chose Knowledge: History, saved the file, but when I test it the skill doesn't show up on the character as a class skill, and it still costs me double the skill points to raise.
It does show up in the race description as a class skill however.

Any suggestions or help?

Please and thank you in advance.

Last edited by Rev Haus 235; June 2nd, 2012 at 08:43 AM.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 11th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I have a notion what is happening here. Class skills on races are not the same as class skills on a class. So, if you are giving a human a class skill, it only shows up as a class skills for racial hit dice, and not for class hit dice. It's still a class skill for a human, if the race was actually receiving racial HD, but it doesn't, since the first HD is always a class HD.

I struggled with this for a while myself, but not in the way you are. I don't have NPC classes in my gaming world, but I do have something I call 0-levels, which are humanoid NPCs without a racial HD and without a class HD. While working that out, I learned that skills on the race don't carry to skills on the class (as should be the case, according to the RAW). I'm assuming that you want the skill to always be a class skill on the human race regardless of class?

The trick to this, at least as far as I know, I've not actually tried it, is to make it a class skill for the Hero, not for the race or class or whatever. Try this out as a script on the human race.

@First (user) 10000
Code:
~ Make a skill a class skill for all classes.
perform hero.assign[ClassSkill.kKnowHist]

Last edited by Kendall-DM; June 11th, 2012 at 03:13 PM.
Kendall-DM is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
Rev Haus 235

Old June 12th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Brilliant. That worked.
I had to make a second "Eval Scripts" entry for it, but it worked.
That's awesome.
Thanks so much for your help.
Rev Haus 235 is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Kendall-DM
Spy

Old June 12th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Haus 235 View Post
Brilliant. That worked.
I had to make a second "Eval Scripts" entry for it, but it worked.
That's awesome.
Thanks so much for your help.
I have many things with multiple eval scripts because of the different timings. That's pretty normal.
Kendall-DM is offline   #10 Reply With Quote