Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - 4th Edition

Notices

Anpu42

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Well I just said screw it and uped my DDI memebership and now I cant find the ddidownloader.exe under the Data File, all that is there under all of them are the Logo and "stub" files
Anpu42 is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old June 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Anpu42 hello again,
You need to do the following (there is instructions someplace but this is easier for me
Okay so there has been a change with 3.7HL so here is how I found mine (Windows 7 system)
Open these to find the application
1. Hard drive to Program Data file
2. Hero Lab file
3. Open Data file
4. 4e file
5. scroll down until you find the ddidownloader (this is the application that starts the downloader.
a "dos" like screen will pop up if you have a DDI subscription choose 2.
then you will have to fill in your DDI name and password.
it will confirm then start download and conversion to HL this takes time (5 to 10 hours depending on your connection and useage at the time so read a book or go to bed) the porgram will give dots for completed items and ! for something that did not convert (ie classes from Heros of Shadows).
Make sure you have loaded HL3.7 first then run the ddi.
when its finished open HL and you should ahve the currect info.

I hope this helps you and everyone that will be running the next ddidownloader.
SAbel is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
raumac

Old July 1st, 2011, 12:52 PM
I cannot find ddidownloader.exe anywhere on my PC. Heck, I cannot find the "data" folder. My E:\Herolab only contains three folders:

docs
download
product

I am running Window XP SP3 and Hero Lab v3.7a

Any tips?

Edit: Okay - I guess I need to buy the Authoring Kit, but I can't find any way within Hero Lab or at the Hero Lab website to buy the Authoring Kit. How do you buy a license for this?

Last edited by raumac; July 1st, 2011 at 01:04 PM. Reason: update
raumac is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 1st, 2011, 06:13 PM
Here is a better way to find your data, From Colen:
Hero Lab 3.7 now uses a different location for storing user data files, as required by Windows Vista / Windows 7. Unfortunately this new location changes based on which version of windows you're using, so it's not in the same place for everyone. You can find the new location by doing the following:

1) Load any game system in Hero Lab

2) Select the Tools -> Explore Folders -> Program Data folder menu item. An explorer window should open.

3) Go to the "data" folder in the new window, and from there the "4e" folder. The downloader should be located in that folder.

Hope this helps!
SAbel is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
raumac

Old July 1st, 2011, 08:33 PM
Thanks, SAbel!

That did the trick! For Windows XP, my file is located in:

D:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Hero Lab\data\4e

which did not show up in any of my searches. (Stupid Hidden Files!)
raumac is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
raumac

Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:50 PM
Thank you, SAbel!

That did the trick. I was able to find the data folder this way.

Thank you.
raumac is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:55 PM
I just bought 4E... not realizing that it wasn't data files like PFRPG... I guess that was why Wolflair was selling it as the "Authoring" system.

Anyway, I managed to find the ddidownloader (the documentation needs to be updated since version 3.7 changed the data file locations). I ran the executable choosing option 1 (w/o DDI subscription) and it ran without errors.

However, when I then try to open HL and choose 4E as my game system I get:

The data files could not be loaded due to the following errors:
Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'ftExpanSpe' (eval script '#1') on line 1 -> nonexistant thing 'clsWizard' used by script

Syntax error in 'eval' script for Thing 'ftRememWiz' (eval script '#1') on line 1 -> nonexistant thing 'clsWizard' used by script

I love HL with my PFRPG, MM, and other systems.... this sucks for 4e though. My whole gaming group was about to spend the $20 to buy 4e for HL. I just told them not to bother and to look into buying DDI subscriptions instead. Now I'm just trying to figure out how not to have wasted my $20...

Edit: For the record... I LOVE HL! Just think that for me, the "4E" game system purchase was a waste of $20

Last edited by kunger00; July 3rd, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
kunger00 is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
SAbel

Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:37 PM
kunger00,
The DDI has had issues (at WOTCs) end for nearly two weeks now so that may be the cause of the errors you are getting. If you have a DDI subscription then you get all the data from the compendium (that is when its not having issues or they are change things just b/c). If you do not have one then you can add the content yourself with the authoring kit.
I have used HL for 4E since its release and find it a great product, but I also use it for several game systems.
Colen is better with the script errors for 4E but he has announced that it would be later this week befor HL would be ready to run the download and conversion process.
Sean
SAbel is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kunger00

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the reply Sabel. I too love HL and use it for several systems. I do not yet have a DDI subscription and really didn't want to buy one. I have the 3 core 4E books but we really don't play 4E in my group much. However, one of my players wanted to attempt to DM 4E. So the whole group was going to purchase the 4E package for HL. I was the first. None of the others are going to buy it now. As far as self entering data to create the 4E stuff... no thank you. I buy programs such as HL to save myself time, not to use it up.
Love HL, but hate the 4E package! I know it's not Lone Wolf's fault... I just made the silly assumption that the relationship between Lone Wolf and WotC was as good as the one between them and Green Ronin or Paizo. My fault for making that assumption without doing my homework first. At least Lone Wolf got my $20 and not a company I don't like.
kunger00 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old July 3rd, 2011, 10:49 PM
We don't have a license with Wizards, so we can't provide the content ourselves. That's where the DDI account comes in. The ddidownloader tool allows someone with a DDI account to pull the content into Hero Lab and use it within HL as well. Unfortunately, Wizards broke things badly in their DDI update two weeks ago and just fixed them this past week. We now need to go in and figure out what other changes they made and update the tool to accommodate those changes. This is sadly an ongoing problem, as Wizards regularly makes substantial changes to the compendium that breaks the tool and we then have to accommodate the changes.

If someone in your group decides to get a DDI account, you can give Hero Lab a try with 4E by using it in demo mode - after we update the 4E files this week, of course. This will at least let you make a solid assessment. One advantage of HL is that you have the 4E data on your local computer after running the downloader tool. Since your group only plays with the 3 core books, you might find it more economical to get a DDI account, setup HL, and then allow the DDI account to lapse until you dive more heavily into the game and want all the new 4E supplements.

As for the $20, let us know if you want a refund and we can make that happen. Alternately, if you'd rather have a different game system or add-ons (e.g. Pathfinder), we could swap it out for you. Just send an email to helpdesk at wolflair dot com and we can figure something out.
rob is offline   #20 Reply With Quote