Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Syrkres

Old November 22nd, 2019, 09:38 AM
If a web application is acceptable, then you may want to look at https://www.worldanvil.com/ it seems decent, though only web based (which also I do not like).
Syrkres is offline   #11 Reply With Quote
Merion

Old November 25th, 2019, 01:52 AM
I tested a little bit and my first conclusion is as follows:

It is still a prototype, not even close to a real beta yet. So it should be considered more of a proof of concept than a ready-to-use tool. Having said that, the basic concept is solid imho and with further development it can be a real alternative to RW (IF you can accept a web-based solution. If not - why are you even reading this?).
The GUI needs getting used to - same as RW - and will surely be further streamlined. The concept of how things are related and places and NPCs are linked is nice, but does not fully replaces RWs autolinking feature. Description are not broken down in snippets but are rather long text fields, as you would see in a printed module.

So yes, it still needs work, but if they put it in and listen to the community they future may be bright. The idea hub they put up is a huge plus in my book and shows that they are willing to build the tool the users want.

Ingame tools like fog of war etc. aren't implemented yet as far as I can see. I'm waiting for these as I heavily rely on maps and pics for navigation and conveying my world. They do seems to have a few nice collaboration lined up, but we'll see.

Last edited by Merion; November 25th, 2019 at 01:58 AM.
Merion is offline   #12 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
I have backed the project in hopes of throwing most if not all of my votes behind migrations tools to convert RW.
Same here
Cammagno is offline   #13 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbs666 View Post
I'm not impressed by the prototype and to be blunt, a project that has raised $16k and had a goal of only $5k shows that the lead(s) have no idea what software development costs.

Sure anyone with a little knowledge can whip up a browser app in a couple of days but that is no indication of the time, and therefore money, required to get a complete project.
You payed little attention to their kickstarter.
The kickstarter campaign IS NOT to found development cost of Yarps, that is internally covered by their company's money.

Kickstarter founding is asked to spead up the realease, according to a clearly shown timeline. Even if it haven't been founded, it would have been release in 2021; according to how much it raises, they can devote more dev time to its development, and it will be released earlier, or much earlier.
I think it's a very clever thing to do, and that a similar thing has to be done by LW to found further development of RW, just to say.

Speaking of the prototype, I like it. Sure it has to improve a lot, but it's in a pre-alpha phase, and it's already usable and rather interesting.

And, a thing that is very important for me, they are really very responsive to the community's imput.

Last edited by Cammagno; November 29th, 2019 at 03:10 AM.
Cammagno is offline   #14 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 03:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clithgow View Post
I'll say that one of the things that does turn me off at the moment is the apparent lack of an ability to remove empty fields. I do like RWs one key stroke way of deleting all empty fields. Currently its not possible (quickly or otherwise I believe) in Yarps.
It will be, that is only a prototype limitation
Cammagno is offline   #15 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrkres View Post
If a web application is acceptable, then you may want to look at https://www.worldanvil.com/ it seems decent, though only web based (which also I do not like).
According to me, Yarps is already better than WA, and with the scheduled features for version 1.0 only (non considering further development) would be much much better.

Of course, anyone has its preferences, not disputing them, only wanted to give my opinion
Cammagno is offline   #16 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merion View Post
The GUI needs getting used to - same as RW - and will surely be further streamlined. The concept of how things are related and places and NPCs are linked is nice, but does not fully replaces RWs autolinking feature.
Autolink feature is planned for Yarps 1.0, this is the first reason that pointed me towards this tool, I can't do without autolinking anymore
Cammagno is offline   #17 Reply With Quote
Maidhc O Casain

Old November 29th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post
The kickstarter campaign IS NOT to found development cost of Yarps, that is internally covered by their company's money.

Kickstarter founding is asked to spead up the realease, according to a clearly shown timeline. Even if it haven't been founded, it would have been release in 2021; according to how much it raises, they can devote more dev time to its development, and it will be released earlier, or much earlier.

I think it's a very clever thing to do, and that a similar thing has to be done by LW to found further development of RW, just to say.
Heh. LoneWolf said almost exactly the same thing. Direct from the RealmWorks Kickstarter:
Quote:
Unlike many software Kickstarters, initial Realm Works development is nearly complete.
We've been evolving Realm Works for over three years and will be releasing it in July, 2013. Numerous features are already in place, as we demonstrate in the video, but there are many more we want to include in the initial release. Your support of this Kickstarter will allow us to accelerate our current development efforts so we can pack more features into the product in time for its public release.
Maidhc O Casain is offline   #18 Reply With Quote
kbs666

Old November 29th, 2019, 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammagno View Post

Speaking of the prototype, I like it. Sure it has to improve a lot, but it's in a pre-alpha phase, and it's already usable and rather interesting.

And, a thing that is very important for me, they are really very responsive to the community's imput.
No. I know software development and saw the numbers and laughed.

5k is 25 man/hours (roughly). That's 3 days. If they're claiming that will speed delivery by more than a week...

Which is why I dismissed this. They seem to be trying to hit a spot between all volunteer open source and proprietary software, but still coded by volunteers. That never works.

Just to be clear the prototype was something I could put together in an afternoon. No one, no one at all, should be backing this based on that.

my Realm Works videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZU...4DwXXkvmBXQ9Yw
kbs666 is offline   #19 Reply With Quote
Cammagno

Old November 29th, 2019, 04:23 PM
Quote:
No. I know software development and saw the numbers and laughed.

5k is 25 man/hours (roughly). That's 3 days. If they're claiming that will speed delivery by more than a week...
From the kickstarter.
- €5000 will allow them to finalize YARPS 1.0 within autumn 2020, with start of beta phase in september 2020 and start of alpha phase in may 2020
- €30000 will allow them to finalize YARPS 1.0 within summer 2020, with start of beta phase in july 2020 and start of alpha phase in april 2020
- €60000 will allow them to finalize YARPS 1.0 within spring 2020, with start of beta phase in may 2020 and start of alpha phase in febbruary 2020

This mean that each 30k euros will speed up the release of a couple of months, that is realistic, according to the cost of dev work in Europe (I don't know where do you live, but the costs you spoke about are not realistic for example in Italy, here they are much less expensive).

Quote:
Just to be clear the prototype was something I could put together in an afternoon.
Sorry, but I don't believe you on this.

Quote:
No one, no one at all, should be backing this based on that.
I backed 200€, and I'm happy to. I'm already using the prototype in this stage, and is already better, according to me, than all the other products out there, excluded RW.

RW is good, but it has too much things that are frustrating - some of them very easy to fix/improve - and that I can't bare anymore now that I know that it will never improve.
I'll keep using it for all my old realms for at least one year, mabe two or more, but I'll never create a new realm, i prefer to use a new platform that is actively developed by a very active group.
You say they are volunteer, I don't care if they are, for now their attitude is much more professional than LW, they are listening the community, they are quickly answering, they are changing things to follow community suggestions, they are looking for cohoperations and finding them.
Just an example: they already released a prototype importer from CSV, a thing that the professional LW never did in all these years.

Last edited by Cammagno; November 29th, 2019 at 04:35 PM.
Cammagno is offline   #20 Reply With Quote