Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Valdacil

Old May 10th, 2017, 09:06 PM
I keep getting so close on my own, but then hit a conceptual wall with one little piece. I want to let players choose a human homeland (like Varisian) if they are not a human race. The idea is to meet the prerequisites for traits/feats (like Harrow Chosen).

Justification: Although the player may be another race (like Aasimar), they may have grown up in human society and thus consider that land their homeland.

These were some ideas I had:
1) Just add another heritage allowance so player can select 2. Pros: Simple, uses same interface. Cons: would have to modify all human ethnicities so they would show up for other races; nothing to force the player to pick one from their own race and one from human (could pick 2 from their race or 2 human; both wrong)

2) Add another heritage allowance and use the workaround of selecting human first, then the ethnicity, then switch to actual race and select racial heritage from that race (2 selections). Pros: Uses same interface; doesn't require editing all of the ethnicities like above. Cons: complicated for user; exploits a bug that may eventually be patched out

3) **Preferred** make a new trait called "Homeland". Allow selection of a human ethnicity. Add that ethnicity to the hero. Add an extra trait allowance (so the homeland trait is free).

I have most of #3 working, except the most important part. I successfully created the trait, made a menu that is limited to human ethnicities, added a script that adds an extra trait... but it takes more than adding Ability.rcVarisian to count as having the ethnicity.

How do I programmatically add the selected ethnicity to the hero?
Valdacil is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 11th, 2017, 12:26 AM
Perhaps you could create a configurable which allows users to add an ethnicity to one of its tables, then bootstrap that configurable to your Homeland trait.
Aaron is offline   #2 Reply With Quote
Silveras

Old May 11th, 2017, 07:47 AM
The goal sounds very similar, if not identical, to the Region support in the Forgotten Realms files (originally by RavenX, now supported by TobyFox).

For the Forgotten Realms, the support files add a Bonus Trait that must be spent on a Region. The Region Traits are also linked to race and have validation rules to guide the user. This does not limit the selection of Ethnicities, though each Ethnicity does list which Regions are appropriate for it.

Even so, in the end, there's a point of diminishing returns in trying to force HeroLab to not let players choose inappropriate combinations.
Silveras is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 11th, 2017, 09:09 AM
I don't know about FR but Eberron data files has a "Region of Origin" tab that does pretty much the same concept.

HERE is a link to the Eberron "Region of Origin" on GitHub.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old May 11th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Yes, Region is exactly what we're trying to accomplish.

I looked at the Eberron code you posted, SC, but it looks like all the magic happens in this script:

Call SetupEbEth

Do you have a link to that source?
Valdacil is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old May 11th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdacil View Post
Yes, Region is exactly what we're trying to accomplish.

I looked at the Eberron code you posted, SC, but it looks like all the magic happens in this script:

Call SetupEbEth

Do you have a link to that source?
You can copy procedures in the editor to look at their contents.
Aaron is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old May 11th, 2017, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
You can copy procedures in the editor to look at their contents.
Using the "General -> *Procedure" tab of the editor. You can also see Lone Wolf's procedures this way. Which is very handy.

Otherwise I break up Procedures into there own .user files. HERE is the link on GitHub.

I am not sure how much of this logic you will need actually. My issue was that a Region of Origin could be taken both as a racial Ethnicity per a specific race or for Any Race as a "Region of Origin". So you can most likely leave this logic out.

If you need to help here is the "COM_CampaignPack_Eberron - Tags.1st" Tag file for Eberron.

Last note is at the TOP of the GitHub site is a "Search" that will let you search for Things in the whole Community Repository. That can come in handy for finding different parts.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old May 11th, 2017, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the tips, but after looking at the options my GM decided it's more work than it's worth for me to try to tackle this. Not enough value for the investment. So I'm off the hook

Appreciate everyone's suggestions and time.
Valdacil is offline   #8 Reply With Quote