Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Hero Lab Forums > HL - Pathfinder Roleplaying Game
Register FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Notices

Valdacil

Old March 27th, 2017, 12:59 PM
So my GM keeps throwing wrenches in the mix. Now I discover (as I'm trying to build another player's character) that he allows any caster to be either memorized or spontaneous. So one of our party members has a Shaman that is a spontaneous caster. First time I've tried to build that in and I'm running into some issues.

Attempt 1: Have both classes available as selection. I field-for-field recreated the Shaman Class thing, changing caster type, spells known per level, spells cast per level. Then attempted to use it, and it successfully added the Shaman (Spontaneous) tab that looked the same as Shaman tab, but nothing worked. Trying to select a spirit, hex, or spells said "Nothing to select".

Attempt 2: Go ahead and have the new class replace cHelpSha. This resulted in 2 problems... 1) the old Shaman tab also shows up in addition to the new Shaman (Spontaneous) tab. Selecting something on the Shaman tab (like spells) reflects the change on the new tab, so the tabs seem to be duplicating. The new tab is the one that turns red when selections are needed. Problem 2) nearly everything that is done results in an error:

"Invalid tag expression specified for 'foreach' statement
Location: 'pre-requisite rule' script for Component Set 'ClassLevel' near line 13"

The box has 5 errors for line 13, 4 for line 15 and 1 for line 11... there may be more but that filled the screen. Ignoring the error things 'seem' to work, but the error is presented after each time done on the Shaman (either) tab.

Is there an easier way to do this that won't have errors?
Valdacil is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Mathias
Lone Wolf Staff

Old March 27th, 2017, 01:03 PM
I'd build an archetype that changes the spellcasting type of the shaman class. There's a "Spellcaster Type" option on the archetype tab, and I think that simply filling that in will overwrite the class' normal version.

Then, you'll need to write a new spells known/level array, which the archetype can also handle.
Mathias is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old March 27th, 2017, 01:07 PM
I just saw a thread that gave me the same idea. Didn't realize that there was so much configuration in the Archetype thing, figuring I'd have to build it all via a script... if so, that makes it so much easier. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that out and post back here if I'm successful.

Question mark is whether this would prevent the player from also choosing a valid archetype for Shaman and whether that could be worked around.
Valdacil is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old March 27th, 2017, 05:17 PM
This worked great and was super easy. Thanks again for the tip.

Now I just have one outstanding issue that is bothering me. The Human Shaman favored class bonus says:
Quote:
Add one spell from the cleric spell list that isn’t on the shaman spell list to the list of spells the shaman knows. This spell must be at least 1 level below the highest spell level the shaman can cast.
The code for the select box says:
Code:
      ~generate the expression saying what spells we're able to search for
      ~we're looking for spells that are cleric spells but not shman spells and are of a level we can cast
      field[usrCandid1].text = "component.BaseSpell & sClass.cHelpClr & !sClass.cHelpSha & (val:sLevel.? < " & hero.childfound[cHelpSha].field[cMaxSpLev].value & ")"
However, it is showing spells in the select list from sources that are not selected (like 3rd party publishers). It should only show spells from sources that are selected. Since the spell likely has a tag for the source and the character has tags for each source, right? So could this search filter be further refined for this purpose?
Valdacil is offline   #4 Reply With Quote
DeltaMasterMind

Old March 28th, 2017, 04:33 AM
I think the easiest way to do this is if your DM will allow Pathfinder Society compliant, if this person will do that then you could add a simple tag (Helper.NoPathSoc) to the line below, which I did.

field[usrCandid1].text = "component.BaseSpell & sClass.cHelpClr & Helper.NoPathSoc & !sClass.cHelpSha & (val:sLevel.? < " & hero.childfound[cHelpSha].field[cMaxSpLev].value & ")"

If not then you either preclude each selectable item using a personal campaign user file or by only allowing spells which use a tag you extend to each spell you wish to allow via personal campaign file. Basically alot more work then you would like.

Edit: That is the extent of my knowledge on the matter.
DeltaMasterMind is offline   #5 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2017, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdacil View Post
However, it is showing spells in the select list from sources that are not selected (like 3rd party publishers).
I am going with something else is happening other than this. You can NOT see Things from a source that is deactivated. End of story no work around can't happen. If this could happen it means a huge hole in HL security.

Now "could" be a few spells are not source marked at all which can happen but it would be very rare.

Can you provide more details? Screen shots or post your .user file with steps to duplicate. I can try and take a look to figure out why....

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #6 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old March 28th, 2017, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
I am going with something else is happening other than this. You can NOT see Things from a source that is deactivated. End of story no work around can't happen. If this could happen it means a huge hole in HL security.

Now "could" be a few spells are not source marked at all which can happen but it would be very rare.

Can you provide more details? Screen shots or post your .user file with steps to duplicate. I can try and take a look to figure out why....
Steps to reproduce:

1) New Profile, New Hero
2) Select Human race
3) Give at least 12 WIS (I usually just go up to 16 to start)
4) Grant 1 level of Shaman
5) Select +1 Cleric spell known for favored class bonus
6) Under Customize Favored Bonus, select Bleeding Wounds
7) Switch to Shaman tab and select spells
8) level 0: Bleeding Wounds not available

I think I just figured out why. I think all of the spells that aren't showing up are Words of Power. So I guess the filter needs a way of filtering out Words of Power if the caster doesn't have the ability/feat to cast Words of Power.
Valdacil is offline   #7 Reply With Quote
Valdacil

Old March 28th, 2017, 12:14 PM
Confirmed. Deselecting Words of Power under Ultimate Magic caused all the problem spells to disappear from the selection list. However, if one has Words of Power selected, but doesn't have a feat/ability that grants Words of Power, then those shouldn't show up in the selection.
Valdacil is offline   #8 Reply With Quote
ShadowChemosh
Volunteer Data File Contributor

Old March 28th, 2017, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdacil View Post
Confirmed. Deselecting Words of Power under Ultimate Magic caused all the problem spells to disappear from the selection list. However, if one has Words of Power selected, but doesn't have a feat/ability that grants Words of Power, then those shouldn't show up in the selection.
Words of Power spells have a specific tag. I don't know it off the top of my head but you can look in the editor. Or get a Word of Power to display on the character and look at its tags.

In addition I would recommend always adding in a "!Helper.Helper" to your custom expressions. Helper Picks usually should not show up outside there specific use. Probably not many spells setup with Helper.Helper but a good habit to get into.

Hero Lab Resources:
Pathfinder - d20pfsrd and Pathfinder Pack Setup
3.5 D&D (d20) - Community Server Setup
5E D&D - Community Server Setup
Hero Lab Help - Hero Lab FAQ, Editor Tutorials and Videos, Editor & Scripting Resources.
Created by the community for the community
- Realm Works kickstarter backer (Alpha Wolf) and Beta tester.
- d20 HL package volunteer editor.
ShadowChemosh is offline   #9 Reply With Quote
Aaron

Old March 28th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChemosh View Post
Words of Power spells have a specific tag. I don't know it off the top of my head but you can look in the editor. Or get a Word of Power to display on the character and look at its tags.

In addition I would recommend always adding in a "!Helper.Helper" to your custom expressions. Helper Picks usually should not show up outside there specific use. Probably not many spells setup with Helper.Helper but a good habit to get into.
I believe we use a component tag to filter out words of power in most places.
Aaron is offline   #10 Reply With Quote