Lone Wolf Development Forums  

Go Back   Lone Wolf Development Forums > Realm Works Forums > Realm Works Discussion

Notices

Gromnar

Old November 20th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Hi all,

I've not found much information on this use in the manuals available so please excuse my ignorance if I've missed some essential data.

I was testing the PE today and running my GM version with the Game Session going. The players weren't notified that there was a game session going; I don't see anyone 'logged in' viewing the session.

My games are online with a VTT, though am I missing the point of the Game Session feature? Is it really just to keep track of what you do on realms works during the time you have it active, and its not actually for players to 'join'?

Any clarification would be appreciated.
Gromnar is offline   #1 Reply With Quote
Parody

Old November 20th, 2014, 06:07 PM
Yes, it's just there to keep track of what you change during a session. The Player Edition doesn't connect to your computer; all it does is download the player version of your synced data so players can poke through it whenever they want.

Parody is online now   #2 Reply With Quote
MaxSupernova

Old November 20th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Imagine a word processor in which you create and edit your document and do all sorts of nifty things. You can format and edit and play around to your heart's content, and save it as a .doc file.

You can export to a PDF to give to your players so they can look at what you've done. They need a PDF viewer to see it. All they can see is what you have set up for them to see, and they can't edit or log in or do anything else but look at what you have given them. There might be more in the word processor document, but you can choose which pages you export to PDF for them to view.

If you edit the .doc file, the PDF doesn't change. You have to export the data to a new PDF when you are done with it, and then they have to download the new PDF from you. Then they can see the new information.

The full version of Realm Works is like the word processor. The Player edition is like the PDF viewer. When you edit your realm, it's like you just change your .doc file. When you sync, it's like saving to a new PDF. Then the players sync, and it's like downloading the new PDF file that you just made.

Does that make sense, or is it muddying the waters?
MaxSupernova is offline   #3 Reply With Quote
rob
Lone Wolf Staff

Old November 20th, 2014, 11:19 PM
The main objective of tracking the start/end of game sessions is for use with the Reveal History. It can be incredibly valuable to quickly recap exactly what was learned in the last game session. Or two sessions ago. Or the session we ran over 4th of July weekend.

I don't know about you guys, but my groups have traditionally spent ridiculous amounts of time recapping what was/wasn't learned in the present session or two. Prior to having something definitive like Realm Works, there were lots of differing memories (and even differing written notes) from various players. This resulted in lots of debate and ultimately the GM having to weigh in with the correct information. Where it got really messy is when the player's theories and suppositions started to merge with the factual elements of what transpired and distort everything.

The Reveal History is also of extreme value when players miss a session. By simply reviewing an automatically generated report of what was learned during the previous game system, players can quickly get up to speed on what they missed. And it greatly reduces the amount of group time spent reviewing the last session for the absent player.

Hope this helps!
rob is offline   #4 Reply With Quote